Gen 3 Rom Hack for Breaking Battle Tower Level 50 Limit Ribbon

PKHex_User

I am trying to do a ribbon collection for shinny pokemon I hunted manually, while I just realized that in Gen 3 there's a lvl50 Battle tower ribbon which cannot be obtian once your pokemon reached higher level than 50.

So how should I modify the rom to break the 50 limit? I know pokemon are just data string but I also spent long time to train and battle. If I just simply change their level by PKHEX its kind of spoil the whole journey and effort I devoted on that mon, cauz once I can modify the level, cant anything else not be changed?

So I would rather modify the rom which only for this lvl 50 case, aka, to stay the sav data the same but I can use any pokemon participate in the lvl50 BT. Either the way eliminate the lvl50 limitation or temperately make mons in battle tower become 50 which like later gen is fine.

How should I do that?

Edited by PKHex_User

Firstly, modifying the ROM to achieve this would be much more difficult, and require you to likely make a ROM hack using none of the existing tools for randomization/ROM hack making, you'd be on your own digging through the ROM by hand if someone hasn't already added this feature to an existing ROM hack tool.

If I just simply change their level by PKHEX its kind of spoil the whole journey and effort I devoted on that mon, cauz once I can modify the level, cant anything else not be changed?

Secondly, this is an arbitrary line in the sand you're drawing. By the same logic "once you modify the ROM, cant anything else be changed?" You could just as easily modify the ROM to make every trainer battle have a single level 1 Wurmple, or make your pokemon's species have Ghost/Dark typing and Wonderguard.

If you're going to cheat, it's silly to dance around the cheat that you consider to be "too cheaty" when arguably your loophole around it is worse.

It's entirely possible for you to have had level 50 pokemon, that's a legal state for them to exist in, but altering the Battle Tower to permit level 51+ Pokemon into the level 50 difficulty would both be an impossible state for the game to exist in, and wildly unfair considering the Battle Tower trainers would still be limited to level 50.

Edited by Atrius97

On 5/29/2022 at 2:21 AM, Atrius97 said:

Firstly, modifying the ROM to achieve this would be much more difficult, and require you to likely make a ROM hack using none of the existing tools for randomization/ROM hack making, you'd be on your own digging through the ROM by hand if someone hasn't already added this feature to an existing ROM hack tool.

Secondly, this is an arbitrary line in the sand you're drawing. By the same logic "once you modify the ROM, cant anything else be changed?" You could just as easily modify the ROM to make every trainer battle have a single level 1 Wurmple, or make your pokemon's species have Ghost/Dark typing and Wonderguard.

If you're going to cheat, it's silly to dance around the cheat that you consider to be "too cheaty" when arguably your loophole around it is worse.

It's entirely possible for you to have had level 50 pokemon, that's a legal state for them to exist in, but altering the Battle Tower to permit level 51+ Pokemon into the level 50 difficulty would both be an impossible state for the game to exist in, and wildly unfair considering the Battle Tower trainers would still be limited to level 50.

There still the difference

Changing the ROM instead of LEVEL directly because this 50 lvl rule does not make sense and just like start from GEN4 the Game allows mons temporally become lvl 50 for battle tower, while in gen 8 still not allow you to modify lvl in game