Using PKHeX for the first time, loading my save gives me a snapshot of very early in the game instead of my current progress

cloudropis

I'm playing Blaze Black 1 on Drastic and I decided to use PKHex to edit the mons I capture. What I did:

- Made an in-game save (I barely use savestates, so i save incredibly often with real saves as much as I would on a real console

- Moves the .dsv file on my PC

- Opened PKHeX on illegal mode (so PKHaX)

- Loaded my save from the menu on the top left

Instead of seeing my pokemon at their current level, I get a snapshot of very early in the game, 8 minutes of playtime, just my starter at level 7. I have no idea why. I reopened the game (it loaded my current progress just fine) on Drastic, made a new save, made sure the Battery folder didn't have older copies of my saves, moved the new save to my PC again - nothing, PKHaX still loads this very old version through the same save that loads normally on the emulator itself.

I dunno if it's decisive, but I made a test save before my current playthrough. Meaning, I had to return to the main menu and press Select + Up + B to go through the save deletion procedure in order to be able to save for my actual playthrough. I'm still pretty sure this weird old snapshot isn't that old deleted save, it's indeed from my current playthrough.

7 minutes ago, cloudropis said:

I'm playing Blaze Black 1 on Drastic and I decided to use PKHex to edit the mons I capture. What I did:

- Made an in-game save (I barely use savestates, so i save incredibly often with real saves as much as I would on a real console

- Moves the .dsv file on my PC

- Opened PKHeX on illegal mode (so PKHaX)

- Loaded my save from the menu on the top left

Instead of seeing my pokemon at their current level, I get a snapshot of very early in the game, 8 minutes of playtime, just my starter at level 7. I have no idea why. I reopened the game (it loaded my current progress just fine) on Drastic, made a new save, made sure the Battery folder didn't have older copies of my saves, moved the new save to my PC again - nothing, PKHaX still loads this very old version through the same save that loads normally on the emulator itself.

I dunno if it's decisive, but I made a test save before my current playthrough. Meaning, I had to return to the main menu and press Select + Up + B to go through the save deletion procedure in order to be able to save for my actual playthrough. I'm still pretty sure this weird old snapshot isn't that old deleted save, it's indeed from my current playthrough.

save twice using the in-game menu at the current stage of gameplay. If you get a 'saving a lot of data' message, do it a few extra times.
Then, soft reset the game. only then, do you close the emulator.

Now check the DSV.

6 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

save twice using the in-game menu at the current stage of gameplay. If you get a 'saving a lot of data' message, do it a few extra times.
Then, soft reset the game. only then, do you close the emulator.

Now check the DSV.

This doesn't seem to have worked.

I saved twice in-game. I didn't get the "saving a lot of data" message, I actually never got it in my two hours of playtime, I still saved a third time just in case. I soft reset, and closed the emulator without loading the save or anything. Moved the dsv back to pkhax again and it's still the same incorrect 8-minutes-in snapshot

44 minutes ago, cloudropis said:

This doesn't seem to have worked.

I saved twice in-game. I didn't get the "saving a lot of data" message, I actually never got it in my two hours of playtime, I still saved a third time just in case. I soft reset, and closed the emulator without loading the save or anything. Moved the dsv back to pkhax again and it's still the same incorrect 8-minutes-in snapshot

Try exporting as a battery file instead. Should be an option under files. It allows you to export a .sav

7 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Try exporting as a battery file instead. Should be an option under files. It allows you to export a .sav

This is on desmume right? I'm on Drastic. I'll setup desmume and try through that method tomorrow

18 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Oh yeah sorry I don't know if such an option exists on Drastic. Yeah it is for Desmume, by bad.

I loaded my Drastic save on Desmume and Desmume also sees it as an 8 minutes in save, same as PKHeX. Weird as hell, looks like only Drastic sees it properly at my current progress instead of this old snapshot.

Any tips?

1 minute ago, cloudropis said:

I loaded my Drastic save on Desmume and Desmume also sees it as an 8 minutes in save, same as PKHeX. Weird as hell, looks like only Drastic sees it properly at my current progress instead of this old snapshot.

Any tips?

can you upload the file?

4 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

can you upload the file?

There you go. Blaze Black 3.1 save file. If the save file loads correctly, you'll see me at Striaton's PKMN Center with 2 and something hours of playtime. If you see an 8 minutes playtime just outside the player's house with just Snivy in the party, that's the incorrect load that Desmume and PKHeX are giving me

Pokemon Blaze Black V3.1 Full.dsv

8 minutes ago, cloudropis said:

There you go. Blaze Black 3.1 save file. If the save file loads correctly, you'll see me at Striaton's PKMN Center with 2 and something hours of playtime. If you see an 8 minutes playtime just outside the player's house with just Snivy in the party, that's the incorrect load that Desmume and PKHeX are giving me

Pokemon Blaze Black V3.1 Full.dsv 512.12 kB · 0 downloads

There's only one block in that save. (each save has a 'main block' and a 'backup block'. you only have proper data in one block.)

I assume Drastic is saving the data somewhere else, cause it's definitely not in that save file you've provided.

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

There's only one block in that save. (each save has a 'main block' and a 'backup block'. you only have proper data in one block.)

I assume Drastic is saving the data somewhere else, cause it's definitely not in that save file you've provided.

Damn, I imagined it was something like that becuase I knew the Pokemon games had a .bak slot to revert to in case of save corruption.

How did you see this info on blocks? Through PKHeX? Do you know if it's the main block or the backup block that works? Any idea on how to force drastic to save on the correct block?

8 minutes ago, cloudropis said:

Damn, I imagined it was something like that becuase I knew the Pokemon games had a .bak slot to revert to in case of save corruption.

How did you see this info on blocks? Through PKHeX? Do you know if it's the main block or the backup block that works? Any idea on how to force drastic to save on the correct block?

I stitched the saves together based on the offsets.

I duplicated "block A" twice, made it a save.
Duplicate "block B" twice, made it another save.

Save A loads, save B doesn't.
I then proceed to look at Save B's hex data, and it just looks like trash.

It doesn't matter that it's the main or backup right now.

What matters right now is *your data isn't there*. It's presumably saved somewhere else in your computer.

Edit: Did you corrupt your save or something? Are you trying to get the details back. There does seem to be corruption somewhere. Lemme see if I can do anything.

Edit again: So I did another look, and turns out I missed something. However it doesn't seem to help. Both block A and block B shows 8 minute with 1 Snivy.

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I stitched the saves together based on the offsets.

I duplicated "block A" twice, made it a save.
Duplicate "block B" twice, made it another save.

Save A loads, save B doesn't.
I then proceed to look at Save B's hex data, and it just looks like trash.

It doesn't matter that it's the main or backup right now.

What matters right now is *your data isn't there*. It's presumably saved somewhere else in your computer.

So wait, which one is it? Is the emulator failing to write on both blocks properly on the right save file, or is this just a wrong save file? 

I double checked every possible save location for another copy that might be the one that actually gets updated on save, but there's none. So the .dsv is the correct one. It's the way the data is written on it that is borked then?

2 minutes ago, cloudropis said:

So wait, which one is it? Is the emulator failing to write on both blocks properly on the right save file, or is this just a wrong save file? 

I double checked every possible save location for another copy that might be the one that actually gets updated on save, but there's none. So the .dsv is the correct one. It's the way the data is written on it that is borked then?

It's definitely the wrong save file. Both blocks only has 8 minute + 1 snivy.

I've attached the files for you to see.

bb1.sav bb3.sav

Alternatively, you've been using state saves and you've not noticed that you're doing so.
Or something.

If you shift the dsv from that folder (meaning there's nothing there), does the game still load with your progress?

59 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

It's definitely the wrong save file. Both blocks only has 8 minute + 1 snivy.

I've attached the files for you to see.

bb1.sav 512 kB · 0 downloads bb3.sav 512 kB · 0 downloads

Alternatively, you've been using state saves and you've not noticed that you're doing so.
Or something.

If you shift the dsv from that folder (meaning there's nothing there), does the game still load with your progress?

I've fixed the issue. I started doing tests my moving my saves around, swapping the local one that works with the ones i upload here that don't etc etc

Well, turns out the solution I use as fast and dirty cloud storage, and that I've been using to move saves now, is very funny and quirky and basically, every time I uploaded my BB save, it didn't actually upload it again - since it sucks at properly hashing the files, it just saw that I've been repeatedly uploading a save file of the same name, so it kept forwarding the chronologically oldest file of the same name without telling me. In other words, I uploaded "BB.dsv" on that cloud on May 5th, then "BB.dsv" on May 7th, then "BB.dsv" on May 12th, and instead of uploading the proper file every time, it kept feeding me back "BB.dsv" from May 5th implicitly telling me "yo bro don't worry you already uploaded this file, it's safe, see I'll send it to you again to make you know that you don't need to upload it again, see it's here already". And that's the one I kept using on PKHeX and that I sent here, it's the very first Blaze Black save I've ever upped there.

So yeah, my bad, when making sure I'm actually uploading the file (by changing name/size or whatever it uses to hash, or by using switching to real cloud storage instead of Telegram chats) PKHeX works great.

• Like 1