[Problem] HG File Corrupted - trying to fix

I have a problem. Wayyyy back I used a cheating module (which I do not own anymore) to modify my copy of hg. It broke. 

I am now trying to fix it. I fully cleaned the cartridge and made sure each of the contacts are working perfectly fine.

Whenever I boot up the game on my 2DS I get sent to a blue screen saying the save files cannot be accessed. I did my fair bit of research and the only suggestion I found that wasn't cleaning the thing is editing the save file.

I am now looking for a way to reset the game completely. (I do not care about the broken file.) Is that possible?

Someone suggested using Checkpoint, but I have no experience or knowledge on how to use that. 

Add me on Discord if you can help. 

Dario474#0478

11 minutes ago, pokemonnoob474 said:

I cannot get to the title screen. It sais something along the lines of "cannot access save files". Its a blue screen. (My screenshot would be in german, don't know if that's useful)

Looking this issue online, and it doesn’t seem good.

Here’s a few things you can try at your own risk:

- Blowing into the cartridge slot of your device. Maybe some dust got in the way

- Attempting the key combination on that blue screen to delete save

- Restoring a functional save via Checkpoint/JKSM. You can find functional saves on our site.

- (Super risky) maybe apply very slight heat to targeted areas on the chip of the cartridge. Maybe some solder broke and it’ll be good to have it flow back into place. Really at your own risk. Try to visually inspect the chip first to identify if such spots exist.

- Give up on it. It might have died. :(

I dismantled the cartridge earlier and it looks fully intact. I cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol.

I will try uploading a save from your website. Is there anything I should pay attention to when doing that?

edit: could that be the issue?

IMG_20220419_013852.jpg

Edited by pokemonnoob474

1 hour ago, pokemonnoob474 said:

I dismantled the cartridge earlier and it looks fully intact. I cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol.

I will try uploading a save from your website. Is there anything I should pay attention to when doing that?

edit: could that be the issue?

IMG_20220419_013852.jpg

I’m not sure if bridging is supposed to happen there. I’m assuming not but just in case look for other chips of HGSS online, to have a comparison 

Yeah in that case you should get someone who knows how to use a solder iron to remove the excess solder without frying the chip. Applying heat to the solder improperly can potentially fry the chip that’s connected to it, not to mention damage to other parts. Tho the cost to get it fixed might exceed the cost of getting a new cart.. 

2 minutes ago, WolfieX said:

I'm wondering how your pins managed to bridged together without tampering. Did it end up in a dryer maybe?

Definitely not. I honestly do not know. 

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

Yeah in that case you should get someone who knows how to use a solder iron to remove the excess solder without frying the chip. Applying heat to the solder improperly can potentially fry the chip that’s connected to it, not to mention damage to other parts. Tho the cost to get it fixed might exceed the cost of getting a new cart.. 

I will see what I can do. Thanks for the help. I will make another post after soldering.