I tried to load my pokemon soul silver file into pkhex, but I got the error, "Invalid Save File. Aborting."

Vinnig

10 minutes ago, BlackShark said:

This is not a save file at all, it's an SMDH file from Super Smash Bros.

What did I do wrong? I made a save in checkpoint from soul silver and when I restore it, it restores soul silver.

I have no idea why Checkpoint would give you an SMDH file, especially not one of a completely different game. If restoring your backup works without any problems you might have copied the wrong file from your SD card.
Make sure you got the file from /3ds/Checkpoint/saves/IPGE POKEMON SS/<date-string>/POKEMON SS.sav

If that file is really the SMDH try making a new backup by follwoing this tutorial and use the latest version of Checkpoint, which is 3.7.4 as of now https://github.com/FlagBrew/Checkpoint/releases/tag/v3.7.4

Or try using TWL Save Tool instead.

I know you said it is a real copy, but it is possible you have a fake copy (and you just couldn't tell), and Checkpoint extracted the data from the correct partition. Except it would only be accurate if it were a real game, hence why correct partition but wrong file.

Also, if you 'restored' this bad file and yet you were able to progress the game, it just sounds like your save is somewhere else.. As tho your save isn't in the common save partition.

(and the reason why the file of a different game exists is.. maybe someone did a crappy job and tried to overwrite a game or something, who knows)

But yeah, try with TWL save tool and see what the result is. I know sometimes people have issues with Checkpoint, and TWL save tool seems to go around that.

• Like 1