Gen 7: 3DS sub-region and legality

Toffoletto

So, I was playing Ultra Moon on Citra in order to perform a TID RNG and when I got my starter I noticed a possible issue with legality: after viewing its data with PKHeX, I saw that it lacks any indication of its sub-region, which actually cannot even be set in the emulator settings. I'm not an expert, but as far as I know, this would make every pokémon obtained on emulator illegal (unless, somehow, the actual console lets you to not choose your sub-region).
Provided that this is correct, and since I'd like to do things in the most possible legal way, I have two questions in this regard:

1) If I use Citra only to RNG my TID, save the game, and then transfer the save data on an actual 3DS with CFW, would the Pokémon subsequently obtained be legal, if generated by playing on the 3DS?

2) What about the trainer data? By checking it with PKHeX, I noticed that it is supposed to show the indication of the sub-region as well; would transferring the save "adjust" it, in order to match the one set on 3DS?

Thank you in advance for your help. 😀

The console does not allow you to "not set a sub-region", although you may find a build or developer option in Citra that does allow proper emulation for that.

If you cannot find/that option doesn't exist in any available Citra builds, then you may want to attempt to RNG abuse your TID on your actual hacked 3DS/2DS, which should be possible. (It may even be possible without custom firmware, but you already have a hacked 3DS or 2DS)

Alternatively, complete your RNG on Citra, and then adjust the savefile in PKHeX to have the proper country/region data.
(Although this defeats the purpose of RNG abusing your TID, as you could just edit it in PKHeX to begin with. You're already altering the savefile at this point)

Edited by Atrius97

11 hours ago, Atrius97 said:

The console does not allow you to "not set a sub-region"

You don't have to set a sub region.

While it's not possible to set the sub region from the emulator settings you could use the 3DS system settings app to set it. Or dump your preconfigured system settings save data from your 3DS.

region.png.a0e384d994afa11af8f3833db9700efc.png

On 3/21/2022 at 12:38 PM, BlackShark said:

You don't have to set a sub region.

While it's not possible to set the sub region from the emulator settings you could use the 3DS system settings app to set it. Or dump your preconfigured system settings save data from your 3DS.

region.png.a0e384d994afa11af8f3833db9700efc.png

This is very interesting news: if that is the case, then Pokémon caught on Citra are not illegal just because they lack the indication of the sub-region, is it correct?

And with reference to legality, are there any other issue I need to pay attention to when playing on emulator?

Just one more thing: could you point me a guide that explains how to dump the system settings data on Citra? I still have to hack my 3ds and don't know how to do it.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Toffoletto said:

This is very interesting news: if that is the case, then Pokémon caught on Citra are not illegal just because they lack the indication of the sub-region, is it correct?

And with reference to legality, are there any other issue I need to pay attention to when playing on emulator?

Just one more thing: could you point me a guide that explains how to dump the system settings data on Citra? I still have to hack my 3ds and don't know how to do it.

Thank you.

Yes, it's correct.

I think that there aren't other legality problems.

Here you have Citra dump guide and 3DS CFW setup guide