[Spoilers] Pokémon Yellow - Pokémon Tower Crashes on 4th Floor

I've been playing through Pokémon Yellow on my GameBoy Color via the use of an EZ Flash Jr.
My original cartridge is in storage, and I currently cannot access it to verify if the following issue is present or not.

I'm not an insignificant time into playing; I have just obtained the Silph Scope and returned to Lavender town to climb the Pokémon Tower.
However, upon stepping on the stairs to the 4th floor my game crashes.

I have been editing my save file periodically to clone Pokémon for evolutions and increase the number of some items I obtain, and other than PKHex randomly resetting some of my Pokémon EVs to 0 (which I 'randomise' afterward because the affected Pokémon's heal drops to 10 when this happens) I haven't encountered any other issues at all to this point.
I have tried loading my ROM (which was dumped from the aforementioned cart in storage) into an emulator (Gambatte) and the crash also happens in the same place when loading my save and trying to climb the 3rd-to-4th floor steps..

I have also tied sourcing alternative ROMs in case my personal dump was corrupt in some way.
However, the crash seems consistent across any version of the ROM I can find.
To my knowledge for the English version of the game there is only one version of the ROM regardless of the region.
So, my UK (EU) purchased cartridge contains the same ROM as American and Australian version (and I think the Japanese ROM is the same as the English version).
So, assuming I managed to get a clean dump of my cart, I have the same ROM as the one(s) available via less 'legitimate' means.

Although I can't upload my ROM for obvious reasons I have attached my save file, and a 'save-state' after the crash.

If anyone can fix this for me I'd be greatly appreciative, as I have around 16 hours of playtime to repeat if I can't find a solution.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help or offer guidance.

Sherly.

Pokémon - Yellow Version - Special Pikachu Edition.sav Pokémon - Yellow Version - Special Pikachu Edition_1.gqs

No ROM is posted or linked, only referenced.

The attached files are saves, only. To be able to use them you will have to use a ROM sourced from elsewhere.

...and a compatible emulator or flashcard.

16 minutes ago, Sherly said:

No ROM is posted or linked, only referenced.

The attached files are saves, only. To be able to use them you will have to use a ROM sourced from elsewhere.

...and a compatible emulator or flashcard.

Sorry about that I mistaken the GQS file as a type of ROM file.

10 minutes ago, PLAFiles said:

I can't help, but I legit laughed out loud when I saw "[spoilers]" for a 20yr+ old game.

I know, but knowing my luck that one person who has been under a rock for 3 decades would read it.

So, I thought I'd be safe.

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/5/2022 at 7:20 PM, Sherly said:

I've been playing through Pokémon Yellow on my GameBoy Color via the use of an EZ Flash Jr.
My original cartridge is in storage, and I currently cannot access it to verify if the following issue is present or not.

I'm not an insignificant time into playing; I have just obtained the Silph Scope and returned to Lavender town to climb the Pokémon Tower.
However, upon stepping on the stairs to the 4th floor my game crashes.

I have been editing my save file periodically to clone Pokémon for evolutions and increase the number of some items I obtain, and other than PKHex randomly resetting some of my Pokémon EVs to 0 (which I 'randomise' afterward because the affected Pokémon's heal drops to 10 when this happens) I haven't encountered any other issues at all to this point.
I have tried loading my ROM (which was dumped from the aforementioned cart in storage) into an emulator (Gambatte) and the crash also happens in the same place when loading my save and trying to climb the 3rd-to-4th floor steps..

I have also tied sourcing alternative ROMs in case my personal dump was corrupt in some way.
However, the crash seems consistent across any version of the ROM I can find.
To my knowledge for the English version of the game there is only one version of the ROM regardless of the region.
So, my UK (EU) purchased cartridge contains the same ROM as American and Australian version (and I think the Japanese ROM is the same as the English version).
So, assuming I managed to get a clean dump of my cart, I have the same ROM as the one(s) available via less 'legitimate' means.

Although I can't upload my ROM for obvious reasons I have attached my save file, and a 'save-state' after the crash.

If anyone can fix this for me I'd be greatly appreciative, as I have around 16 hours of playtime to repeat if I can't find a solution.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help or offer guidance.

Sherly.

Pokémon - Yellow Version - Special Pikachu Edition.sav 32 kB · 20 downloads Pokémon - Yellow Version - Special Pikachu Edition_1.gqs 87.67 kB · 16 downloads

Hi Sherly,
I've take some time to analyze and doing some tests in your save, and seems like the crash was caused by a Ditto Trick.
The game tries to call for a specific action on the third floor of Pokémon Tower, but crash due to the said action being invalid.
Fortunately only the third floor of the Pokemon Tower have this problem, the rest works normally.
I've patched your save thanks to a cheat code to nullify the Ditto Trick call on the third floor.
Here's your patched save file:

Have a good day.

Pokémon - Yellow Version - Special Pikachu Edition.sav

Edited by Soul DS
Added directly the file instead of sending a link.