Pokémon Altered Platinum - Sinnohan Forms, Increased Difficulty, and more!

Lithium

Hey small question here
but is this the same difculty or harder than platinum itself?
I know renegade is harder, i don't know about the new base rom.
I just really want to play this but the old base(if i understand correctly) renegade is too hard for, well a casual player like myself, who doesn't know that much about breeding, iv/ev training and everything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. Life has been crazy for a while, and on top of that I still don't have motivation to work on it more. But once I do, you can expect to see some fixes, at the very least.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:42 AM, foolsense said:

Hey small question here
but is this the same difculty or harder than platinum itself?
I know renegade is harder, i don't know about the new base rom.
I just really want to play this but the old base(if i understand correctly) renegade is too hard for, well a casual player like myself, who doesn't know that much about breeding, iv/ev training and everything.

It's supposed to be a bit harder than Renegade Platinum. For the most part, ordinary trainers are the same, but boss trainers (like Galactic Admins, Gym Leaders, etc.) are significantly harder. Gym Leaders are no longer limited to a specific type- now they use a central strategy, like a rain team or hyper offense.
However, breeding and EV training are entirely unnecessary. In the case of EV training, it's actually impossible, since you can no longer gain EVs. This was changed because NPC trainers can't use EVs, so they provide a huge advantage to the player. IVs are still random, unfortunately, but they're not really a huge deal, especially not compared to EVs. If you like, you can edit your Pokemon with a save editor to max out their IVs. I wouldn't consider that cheating, since I'd add bottle caps if I could.
You do, however, have easy access to competitive items in the Veilstone Department Store, and a wide variety of viable Pokemon to choose from, so team building is much easier, and you can win with your favorites, since the vast majority of underpowered Pokemon have been majorly buffed.

So it's kind of tough to say if it would be too hard for you or not. The tedious, grinding aspect of the harder Pokemon hacks is absent, however the enemy trainers use better team compositions, items and movesets, so you have to know that aspect of the game decently well to succeed. I recommend having the documentation handy, and checking it often while playing.

On 1/23/2023 at 3:46 PM, BlueSleppy said:

I can't open Delta patcher

That is... a Delta Patcher issue. I can't really help you, since this tells me nothing.

Really been enjoying this hack over the two playthroughs I've done so far, and I'm planning a third :) The new stats and abilities are very fun to play around with. I think making max revives purchasable might be an idea because the stat changes and lack of EVs puts your Pokémon in several "OHKO or get OHKO'd" situations in most trainer battles from relatively early in the game. At least for those of us who play without items in battle and on set mode, this is a bit tiresome, but I can understand why you wouldn't want people to use them in battle for the sake of difficulty. Not sure if it's a patching issue or not, but some of the new moves aren't available for me. Noticed both rampardos and cranidos were learning screech instead of dragon dance like the docs said. Think headlong rush also couldn't be taught to them at the tutor. Lastly, as a QoL, maybe make synchronise 100% sure to transfer the nature to encounters to reward chainers? :)
Hope things get less hectic and that you find your motivation again, thanks for a very fun hack in either case.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Laktose23 said:

Is crit rate bugged? Using a super luck Farfetch'd holding the stick and literally every attack never crits

I haven't modified crit rate, at least not intentionally. You might just be horribly unlucky.

42 minutes ago, Lithium said:

I haven't modified crit rate, at least not intentionally. You might just be horribly unlucky.

Do you know if the crit rate chance calculation is gen 4 because it was updated I believe in gen 6

2 minutes ago, Laktose23 said:

Do you know if the crit rate chance calculation is gen 4 because it was updated I believe in gen 6

I'm pretty sure it is gen 4, since Renegade Platinum didn't update it either, as far as I know.
Critical hits also deal more damage in this generation though, so it might not be quite as bad as it seems.

1 minute ago, Lithium said:

I'm pretty sure it is gen 4, since Renegade Platinum didn't update it either, as far as I know.
Critical hits also deal more damage in this generation though, so it might not be quite as bad as it seems.

Ah that makes sense then, that's all fine then; thank you

• 1 month later...

Released update r1.0.3!
Sorry for the long wait. A lack of motivation can do that to you. But this should fix at least a few of the remaining issues.

Edit- Oh yeah, I kinda forgot to comment on the setup move changes. This change was made a while ago. With setup as it was, you could easily win almost any battle by spamming setup, since the AI won't usually switch.
To compensate at least a little bit, most setup moves now only have 1 PP. Considering how the lack of EVs nerfs defensive Pokemon already, I think this is a fair trade. It also prevents the AI from stupidly just spamming setup moves and not actually attacking, making AI setup sweepers potentially more dangerous, and definitely more consistent.
Moves with 1 PP also can't have their PP raised with items, so they're stuck at 1.
Double Team now also acts as a copy of Agility instead of raising evasion, making it more useful and less cheesy.
The one downside is that since PP isn't refunded after battles, you'll have to continually refill the PP of setup moves in the field. But since setup isn't generally necessary for wild Pokemon and normal trainers, and since PP-restoring items are more accessible thanks to the Veilstone Dept. Store, I think it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Spoiler

r1.0.3
Fixed a minor error in the documentation where Mars's team was one level higher than ingame.
Fixed Ace Trainer Olivia's documentation showing her with a Gardevoir instead of a Sinnohan Altaria.
Fixed the rightmost clerk on 1F of the Veilstone Department Store not selling Max Elixirs instead of Potions, as intended.
Fixed Double Team Zac & Jen's Ampharos having a moveset meant for vanilla Ampharos.
Miscellaneous NPC dialogue fixes and changes.
Removed incorrect text from MoveChanges.txt indicating that Sucker Punch had been buffed from 70 BP to 80 BP.

All setup moves now have far less PP.
Moves which boost stats by more than one stage total (eg. Swords Dance, Calm Mind) now have 1 PP.
Moves which boost stats by only one stage total (eg. Howl) now have 2 PP.
Double Team now has 1 PP, and raises user's Speed sharply instead of raising Evasiveness.

This was done because setup moves are extremely abusable against the AI.
Moves with a base PP of 1 cannot have their max PP raised by any means.

Updated Buizel and Floatzel's shiny sprites to be less ugly.

Crobat's stats have changed.
Old     85 HP / 95 Atk / 80 Def / 85 SAtk / 80 SDef / 130 Spd / 555 BST
New     95 HP / 90 Atk / 80 Def / 80 SAtk / 80 SDef / 130 Spd / 555 BST

Golbat and Crobat's abilities have been changed.
Old     Limber / Unburden
New     Intimidate / Adaptability

Been using a Crobat in my latest playthrough, and it tends to struggle a bit in the low-bulk environment of an EVless game.
Thus, Crobat got a tiny bit bulkier, and it now has access to two phenomenal Abilities which allow it to specialize for
defense or offense.

Kricketot's stats have changed.
Base Stats :
Old     37 HP / 25 Atk / 41 Def / 75 SAtk / 41 SDef / 25 Spd / 244 BST
New     37 HP / 55 Atk / 41 Def / 55 SAtk / 41 SDef / 55 Spd / 284 BST
Kricketot's stats were actually bugged and were lower than listed.

Kricketune's stats have changed.
Base Stats :
Old     70 HP / 55 Atk / 70 Def / 130 SAtk / 70 SDef / 105 Spd / 500 BST
New     70 HP / 65 Atk / 70 Def / 130 SAtk / 70 SDef / 105 Spd / 510 BST

Edited by Lithium

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, been playing this hack it’s really fun. My question is where would we find Trapinch, I check the Pokédex and it said area unknown. I just want to know, it looks really cool, I’m probably guessing it’s a rare encounter in Mt. Cornet. 

9 hours ago, Portalends said:

Hi, been playing this hack it’s really fun. My question is where would we find Trapinch, I check the Pokédex and it said area unknown. I just want to know, it looks really cool, I’m probably guessing it’s a rare encounter in Mt. Cornet. 

Yes, you can find it in certain rooms in Mt. Coronet, and in Maniac Tunnel. Your download included documentation though, you should check that for details.

7 hours ago, felinefriend said:

do you happen to have a Discord for this game? i have quite a few questions, such as "what starter is best offensively in this hack"? and "What Eevee evolution is best offensively"?

Nope, there's no Discord. I don't have the skills or the patience to manage one, frankly.
As for your other two questions, that depends a lot on what you're looking for.
Torterra is tough, but it makes a good Rock Polish/Double Team sweeper and can put out a lot of damage.
Empoleon is a tank too, but it has decent Attack, so it can work as a Swords Dance user, mixed attacker or dedicated Special heavy hitter.
Infernape is still Infernape. Great mixed attacking stats, great speed, lots of options, it's definitely the most offensively-minded of the three. But it can't take a hit like the other two can.

As for the Eeveelutions, all of them can do offensive things, even Umbreon. Umbreon now has a decent Attack stat and Vampire Fangs, a powerful physical Dark-type move with HP drain.
Plus, both it and Espeon get Magic Guard now, so they can use a Life Orb without taking any damage.
It also depends on what you want. I'd personally build a team of five first, then pick whichever Eeveelution fits in type-wise. It's a great wild card, especially if you haven't decided on your sixth slot yet and you want to play with your team a bit before deciding.

Edited by Lithium

On 7/22/2023 at 11:47 PM, Lithium said:

Nope, there's no Discord. I don't have the skills or the patience to manage one, frankly.
As for your other two questions, that depends a lot on what you're looking for.
Torterra is tough, but it makes a good Rock Polish/Double Team sweeper and can put out a lot of damage.
Empoleon is a tank too, but it has decent Attack, so it can work as a Swords Dance user, mixed attacker or dedicated Special heavy hitter.
Infernape is still Infernape. Great mixed attacking stats, great speed, lots of options, it's definitely the most offensively-minded of the three. But it can't take a hit like the other two can.

As for the Eeveelutions, all of them can do offensive things, even Umbreon. Umbreon now has a decent Attack stat and Vampire Fangs, a powerful physical Dark-type move with HP drain.
Plus, both it and Espeon get Magic Guard now, so they can use a Life Orb without taking any damage.
It also depends on what you want. I'd personally build a team of five first, then pick whichever Eeveelution fits in type-wise. It's a great wild card, especially if you haven't decided on your sixth slot yet and you want to play with your team a bit before deciding.

what Nature(s) would be best for Umbreon/Espeon?

13 hours ago, felinefriend said:

what Nature(s) would be best for Umbreon/Espeon?

I can't answer that question for you. It depends on how you want to use them, like with every Pokemon. You should definitely figure that out for yourself- if you can't, Altered Platinum is probably too difficult for you.

• 1 month later...

Hi, so me and a group have been playing a HC Nuzlocke of Altered Platinum 1.03 semi blind (aka not checking trainer teams until we have cleared them once) and we noticed a very disturbing bug with this Mars fight (shown in attached image). While fighting this for the first time (blind), the Magnezone used Draining Kiss and Shadow Ball instead of Bug Buzz and Thunder Wave. Obviously these moves are illegal by your own documentation and normal pokemon logic. Did you know about this?

mars_bug.JPG

On 9/7/2023 at 1:36 AM, Swift130493 said:

Hi, so me and a group have been playing a HC Nuzlocke of Altered Platinum 1.03 semi blind (aka not checking trainer teams until we have cleared them once) and we noticed a very disturbing bug with this Mars fight (shown in attached image). While fighting this for the first time (blind), the Magnezone used Draining Kiss and Shadow Ball instead of Bug Buzz and Thunder Wave. Obviously these moves are illegal by your own documentation and normal pokemon logic. Did you know about this?

mars_bug.JPG

Released a minor patch fixing this and another minor issue. Sorry for the delay, I've just been busy with other things.

r1.0.4
Fixed an error where Mars's Magnezone has an incorrect moveset during the Lake Verity battle.
Fixed both Galactic Grunts on Mt. Coronet 6F having a Forretress when only one was intended to. Now the one with the Ariados has the Forretress, and the one with the Golbat has a Yanmega.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i'm having an issue playing this on Twilight Menu++ : when i save, when i load game back up i get an error screen which after i press A (as it tells me to), i get a white screen that i'm stuck at. what am i doing wrong? Do i have to play Altered Plat in a different Mode (DS Mode, DSi Mode)?

On 2/25/2024 at 2:53 AM, felinefriend said:

is Sinnohan HootHoot a good early-game Pokemon? if so, can if be found during Evening or morning, or just at Night?

Hoothoot-S should be a good choice, yeah. As for where/when to find it, it's on Route 201 or 202 at night, and in the honey trees on 205 and 209 at all times.
This is all in the documentation, which you should be referring to first before asking questions like this on the thread.