Can't get my .sav file to open

Amazee

I have a Pokemon Red rom that I am in the future gonna use PKHex on to get around the fact that I will have trade evolutions and I know the only way to edit is through the .sav file if I read the instructions right. Unfortunately I can't open the game through the .sav file because when I click on it, it gives me an "Unsupported File Type" error. So what am I doing wrong?

24 minutes ago, Amazee said:

I have a Pokemon Red rom that I am in the future gonna use PKHex on to get around the fact that I will have trade evolutions and I know the only way to edit is through the .sav file if I read the instructions right. Unfortunately I can't open the game through the .sav file because when I click on it, it gives me an "Unsupported File Type" error. So what am I doing wrong?

Upload the save. (only the save)

I'm not doing anything with it now. I was doing a test run to see if I could use PKHex. I didn't start anything with it. All I did was open a new game, save it and then tried to open it up through the .sav file. So there is nothing in it yet. But I will get the file.

Just now, Amazee said:

I'm not doing anything with it now. I was doing a test run to see if I could use PKHex. I didn't start anything with it. All I did was open a new game, save it and then tried to open it up through the .sav file. So there is nothing in it yet. But I will get the file.

If you don't send the save, I can't diagnose the problem.

Well in any event, based on that description, sounds like you didn't get far enough in the game.

Make sure you at least reach the PC in the Pokemon Center and opened it once. Save twice in the game, using the game's menu (if using emulator, not the emulator's menu).

Saves needs to be initialized in order for PKHeX to read it. If you've yet to receive a starter and have PC data loaded, then there'll be no data for PKHeX to read.

Just now, Amazee said:

So if I didn't get a starter it won't open through the .SAV file?

I don't remember how every save works with PKHeX, but that certainly is a possibility.

Saves need to be initiated. I don't know what PKHeX checks for every Gen, but one of the things it may check is if "party + PC contains Pokemon".

Your save would fail that check.

I am hoping it is. I didn't plan on starting a game tonight but I wanted to make sure I could actually USE PKHex. I know I have to open it from the .SAV file and not the emulator once I edit it.

So I have to at least get my starter?

Just now, Amazee said:

I am hoping it is. I didn't plan on starting a game tonight but I wanted to make sure I could actually USE PKHex. I know I have to open it from the .SAV file and not the emulator once I edit it.

So I have to at least get my starter?

Why don't you keep a copy of the "no starter save".

Then perform a test where you get starter + go to first PC. That should be enough to use and confirm if PKHeX works. When it works, revert back to the no starter save.

6 minutes ago, Amazee said:

So I do have to go to the first PC in addition to getting a starter? Just so I know.

No offense, but it is as though you didn't read anything I said.

To repeat and to explain: I don't know specifically what PKHeX checks for every save. (every as in the different games throughout the years)
I just know that it is usually a combination of these things:
1. Get starter
2. Access Pokemon Boxes
3. Saving twice.

Is that good enough? With that info, try to run a test with a duplicate save. If you don't run the test, don't provide a save, there isn't nothing much I can help you.

For all I know, your issue is something else. Once again, can't help you until you actually run the test and pass the save over.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from. I can't perform magic. I can only give my best guess based on info you provided, and you did not provide a lot.

Edit: As an addendum, if you're running some kind of Randomizer or ROM hack, PKHeX may not work anyway. PKHeX is meant for unmodified official games.

10 minutes ago, Amazee said:

Sounds good. I hope it is fixable. PKHex seems like it is a very superior program. I would hate it if I couldn't use it when I start going through the different Pokemon generations for nostalgia.

image.png

Save loads fine on my end. Make sure you're using the latest version of PKHeX

I'm talking about loading the .sav file to VisualBoy Advance. I click on the file itself and it gives me the error. I have to start the game from VBA itself in order to play it.

Or is that what you are supposed to do? Open it through the emulator and not the .sav file itself?

1 minute ago, Amazee said:

There is and I tried it and it came up. So I do that and it gets the .SAV file to play?

yeah usually editing the .sav in the save folder would be enough.

But in case it doesn't work, importing battery save is the way to go.

5 minutes ago, Amazee said:

Out of curiosity how do I edit it? Just so I know for the future?

I'm worried because the way I do it says that all saved games and data will be erased.

How to edit what, the save?

Just use PKHeX to do so?

You gotta be more specific than that.

That sounds good. One last thing then I promise I will stop bothering you.

In order to open the .sav file through the battery save, I have to open the game up first because otherwise it is grayed out. Is that how you do it correctly? These are the steps I take.

Open VBA

Open Rom

Go to File

Click Import then Battery File

That is correct right? It won't play the unedited version?