Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size on recovered Ultra Moon sav file

tontontried

Hello, my SD card got corrupted by my crappy USB SD card reader and the first thing I did was race to recover my saves, especially my Ultra Moon one. I managed to salvage it and a few others with a data recovery software and while all the other games seemed to have their old data back, Pokemon was being problematic.

At first it started with an incompatible save file prompt whenever i boot up UM so I was fiddling with it by changing the .SAV to a .sav with a simple rename but whenever i opened it now it would display an ErrorDIsp screen. I was thinking I could try to save it by using PKHex to import it then export it as a new .sav file but the read error keeps happening.

Please help me this was a Living Dex save and shiny hunted mons I worked weeks for recently and I would hate to lose it so soon.

#0000001.SAV

1 hour ago, Kaphotics said:

Extract your save file with homebrew; save files on the SD card are stored encrypted and not decryptable outside of the 3DS they originated on.

Thats the problem, I used checkpoint and JKSM but to no avail, checkpoint does not detect the game at all and JKSM gives me an error that the directory of the save doesnt exist. This is the same 2DS i played Ultra Moon on 

18 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I’m hoping your Switch hasn’t been reformatted between Before SD corruption after SD corruption.

To be sure, I gotta ask: is your UM cart or digital?

My 2ds is fine, it was only the SD card that got corrupted. My UM is a digital cia copy 

41 minutes ago, tontontried said:

My 2ds is fine, it was only the SD card that got corrupted. My UM is a digital cia copy 

Okay, keep a safe backup of that file. 

then, reinstall UM (I’m assuming it’s bit assumed any more cause SD corruption), then start a new game (if that isn’t already done).

when those are done, let me know here.

53 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Okay, keep a safe backup of that file. 

then, reinstall UM (I’m assuming it’s bit assumed any more cause SD corruption), then start a new game (if that isn’t already done).

when those are done, let me know here.

Alright I made like a thousand backups of the sav, deleted and reinstalled the game. I started a new save and walked around for a bit, what next?

5 hours ago, tontontried said:

sadly it didnt, i assume its the save thats dead. What complexes me however was the first time it just did the incompatible prompt and never again

Just to clarify, from what folder did you get the original 00000001.sav from?

and that is the name when you placed it back in right? No asterisk no renaming no nothing?

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

Just to clarify, from what folder did you get the original 00000001.sav from?

and that is the name when you placed it back in right? No asterisk no renaming no nothing?

Well I've tried several things after your previous instructions, the recovered save was actually under a directory of "0001B5100/DIR41/#00001.SAV" (the 0s aren't accurate) ive tried putting the folder in before i installed the game like i did the first time around, i tried copying the sav only, i tried copying the sav then removing the "#", i even tried to take the uppercase of the SAV then renaming it to a lowercase sav

24 minutes ago, tontontried said:

Well I've tried several things after your previous instructions, the recovered save was actually under a directory of "0001B5100/DIR41/#00001.SAV" (the 0s aren't accurate) ive tried putting the folder in before i installed the game like i did the first time around, i tried copying the sav only, i tried copying the sav then removing the "#", i even tried to take the uppercase of the SAV then renaming it to a lowercase sav

yeah if you do try again, make sure the save is named exactly the same as the one you're replacing in the folder.

Delete secure value, then replace the save, then try to delete secure value again.
If it cannot be recognized, then it is lost.

In the future, using homebrew (JKSM/Checkpoint) to back up the save.
Those obtained this way are decrypted, and can go on any device. Don't have to worry about device unique encryption.

22 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

yeah if you do try again, make sure the save is named exactly the same as the one you're replacing in the folder.

Delete secure value, then replace the save, then try to delete secure value again.
If it cannot be recognized, then it is lost.

In the future, using homebrew (JKSM/Checkpoint) to back up the save.
Those obtained this way are decrypted, and can go on any device. Don't have to worry about device unique encryption.

turns out the complete dex file needed a 0 to replace the # after comparing and counting the digits. opening the game leaves me with this. quite a shame really I was going for a complete living National Dex and just got started on UM and work my way down the other 3DS games (yes the save editor shows it as broken still) 

16389512841304432120759289223179.jpg

3 minutes ago, tontontried said:

turns out the complete dex file needed a 0 to replace the # after comparing and counting the digits. opening the game leaves me with this. quite a shame really I was going for a complete living National Dex and just got started on UM and work my way down the other 3DS games (yes the save editor shows it as broken still) 

16389512841304432120759289223179.jpg

yeah if you restored the save and it shows broken, then it is probably hopeless :/