visualboyadvance sav won`t open

humble

It appears my visualboyadvance is creating save files for pokemon leafgreen that are invalid to pkhex.  Based on other posts in this forum, the save file is supposed to be 128KB, but is 64KB instead.  I tried simply doubling the file size by appending 64KB of zeros to it, bur pkhex then complains that it is not a gen3 game save.

I`ve uploaded the game save file.  It`s a clean, new game save file with no pokemon in it yet.  It would seem I have alot of trouble with pokemon game saves, lol!  I don`t have a way of pulling my legit game save this time because my cartridge got washed in the washing machine, so I have no basis for comparison...

Pokemon Leaf Green.sav

• 4 weeks later...

So, things have gotten weird.  I loaded the game with visualboyadvance, changed the save type to 128K, and resaved.  The file is still 64K, but it loaded in pkhex.  I did not have any berries yet, so I gave some to my team pokemon.  This is after I got the boulder badge.  Later I discovered that I did not have the berry case (or whatever the thing is called that stores berries), so I tried to open the save file with pkhex to try to make it show up, but now its giving me the same  ``unsupported file type`` message.  I keep historical copies of my save files.  The previous version still opens in pkhex fine, it is from after I got the boulder badge.  The latest one is from after I got the thunder badge.  I also tried to change the save file format to 128 again with vba, but then when I try to save the game now, it just hangs there indefinitely.

Edited by humble
misspellings and added clarity

the SAV you uploaded seems to be invalid.

Why is it invalid?  The file save loads on visualboyadvance, see?  The problem is pkhex does not understand this otherwise fully operational save file.

Attempts to tell visualboyadvance to save in 128K version only result in the save progress hanging up.  It only saves as 64K, which pkhex refuses to do anything with.

image.png.896409d83e029181b5df33ae97fdbacf.png

image.png.9941bbdfb662256515f487ea1ef5217a.png

3 hours ago, humble said:

Why is it invalid?  The file save loads on visualboyadvance, see?  The problem is pkhex does not understand this otherwise fully operational save file.

Attempts to tell visualboyadvance to save in 128K version only result in the save progress hanging up.  It only saves as 64K, which pkhex refuses to do anything with.

image.png.896409d83e029181b5df33ae97fdbacf.png

image.png.9941bbdfb662256515f487ea1ef5217a.png

It’s rather simple. Find a way to convert the size. Size change then load an older state, then save. Or maybe use an external tool. Consider uploading the save for us to see.

Wow, I feel so stupid again.  theSLAYER was exactly correct. 

Size change then load an older state, then save.

I loaded the file with visualboyadvance, deleted the save file while it was running, used visualboyadvance`s built in save state function to generate a .sgm file, closed visualboyadvance, reopened with visualboyadvance, waited to make sure it was starting a new game, loaded the sgm saved state, made sure the save type was flash and 128K flash, then used the game`s built in save function, then loaded the .sav file it generated in pkhex and it works this time.  I honestly don`t know why that worked and just changing the save type and saving without going through a .sgm caused the emulator to freeze, but it did.  I`ll let y`all know if this method breaks in the future.

Once again, thank you theSLAYER!

• Like 1