What is/isn't safe to edit?

dumbdumb

I'm a little confused about what exactly is safe to edit on my Pokemon Shield save and what isn't safe to edit, with regards to getting a ban, as I'm planning on running CFW on my SysNAND to get the save data, then I'd restore it back. I would take my switch offline while I edit the save. Can I edit my trainer's ID number (at the very start of the game, before I connect to any pokemon home servers)? Can I edit my party pokemon? My box pokemon? Is it all safe assuming I don't do anything silly like illegal moves/pokemon?

I haven't actually done it yet though, but are there any tutorials for extracting my save from the sysnand with cfw, then restoring it and not getting a ban, or is that too risky? are there other ways of getting/restoring a save to edit while still keeping online functionality?

Is it even possible to edit a save and still connect to pokemon home?

Edited by dumbdumb

20 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

I'm a little confused about what exactly is safe to edit on my Pokemon Shield save and what isn't safe to edit, with regards to getting a ban, as I'm running CFW on my SysNAND to get the save data, then I'd restore it back. I would take my switch offline while I edit the save. Can I edit my trainer's ID number (at the very start of the game, before I connect to any pokemon home servers)? Can I edit my party pokemon? My box pokemon? Is it all safe assuming I don't do anything silly like illegal moves/pokemon?

I haven't actually done it yet though, but are there any tutorials for extracting my save from the sysnand with cfw, then restoring it and not getting a ban, or is that too risky? are there other ways of getting/restoring a save to edit while still keeping online functionality?

Safe? Nothing is safe. We're not the relevant staff for GF/ILCA/TPCi, we can't know for sure what they check or don't check.
If you're looking for guarantees (sounds like you are), we can't give that to you.

With all that said, I can suggest what could be edited, but remember that it is all at your own risk. It is based on information at the time of writing, and their checks can and will change.

A few simple guidelines:
1. Only edit things that can be "naturally changed" in-game.
2. Don't edit things that cannot be "naturally changed" in-game.

Things like  Pokémon you have in your party or box. Or Items in your bag.
For example, levels of a Pokemon can only go up, not down. Items can go up and down, as Items can be received from trade (most of them), used up, sold, etc.

Don't edit things that cannot be changed. Like Trainer Name. Or Trainer ID.
As an extension to the above guideline, don't edit things that cannot naturally be decreased. Like play time (that can only go up, cannot go down), or Caught counter.

TL; DR: When editing stuff, whatever your edits are, it must look like it came from playing the game.
I hope this last line explains it all to you :3

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Safe? Nothing is safe. We're not the relevant staff for GF/ILCA/TPCi, we can't know for sure what they check or don't check.
If you're looking for guarantees (sounds like you are), we can't give that to you.

With all that said, I can suggest what could be edited, but remember that it is all at your own risk. It is based on information at the time of writing, and their checks can and will change.

A few simple guidelines:

For example, levels of a Pokemon can only go up, not down. Items can go up and down, as Items can be received from trade (most of them), used up, sold, etc.

As an extension to the above guideline, don't edit things that cannot naturally be decreased. Like play time (that can only go up, cannot go down), or Caught counter.

TL; DR: When editing stuff, whatever your edits are, it must look like it came from playing the game.

I was hoping someone with experience could chime in to tell me what has/hasn't worked, not necessarily things that would be 100% safe like I could be interpreted as saying. I was thinking that would be the case as well, to only edit things that can be changed naturally in the game. Which sucks because the whole reason I'd be doing it would be to change my ID number to not be a bunch of random digits. Guess I'll just have to take the risk.

1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

I was hoping someone with experience could chime in to tell me what has/hasn't worked

Maybe you don't realize it, but that would be too long to list. Don't expect something of that magnitude from strangers.(or to an extent, even from people you know).

Just edit your mons, edit receivable items. Everything else follow common sense (in terms of what can and cannot be naturally changed in-game)

1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

Which sucks because the whole reason I'd be doing it would be to change my ID number to not be a bunch of random digits

Technically can be done. People have done it before. But the server logs *everything*.
And there could be other areas in your save that has the ID number appear multiple times (that is not editable via PKHeX UI).

Just because the server doesn't catch you now, doesn't mean they won't catch you later.
They could catch you either via your logs, or from the unedited duplicates in the save.

So I say don't risk it.

• 9 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 12:57 PM, theSLAYER said:

A few simple guidelines:

according to this guidelines, is editing a playtime up (not down) ok?