Pokemon Colosseum save file from (U) <-> (J)

KazoWAR

Sure, there will be a Celebi event in HG/SS.

But that won't let us have many Celebi in 3rd gen. games.

And what save file are you talking about?

A save file for Colosseum or a save file for Emerald?

Well the plan was to get it for a more personal gain as I don't play the GameBoy Advance games anymore. x.x;

The save file I'm referring to is the one OmegaDonut linked to several posts ago. NTSC is a television encoding system so I'm sure you can figure out which of the two games the save file is for. ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the plan was to get it for a more personal gain as I don't play the GameBoy Advance games anymore. x.x;

The save file I'm referring to is the one OmegaDonut linked to several posts ago. NTSC is a television encoding system so I'm sure you can figure out which of the two games the save file is for. ;)

NTSC is used for video games as well, not sure wich consoles, though.

NTSC is for Japanese and US games, and PAL are for Europe and Australia.

I'm not sure what Korean would go into, though.

You've got it a bit backwards. The reason modern console games are identified as NTSC-J, NTSC-U, or PAL is because they need a separate television to function, and they only output a TV signal encoded in either one or the other (PAL or NTSC).

When it comes to ISOs it's important to have the three categories not so much as an indicator of language, but because those represent the 3 unique discs released for most games. People don't just leave it at NTSC and PAL because there's usually a Japanese-only and an English-only release. It's not broken down just by language because PAL discs and some NTSC-U discs contain the same game in multiple languages.

It's all about identifying the distinct ISOs.

You've got it a bit backwards. The reason modern console games are identified as NTSC-J, NTSC-U, or PAL is because they need a separate television to function, and they only output a TV signal encoded in either one or the other (PAL or NTSC).

It might be important to note that it's the console that needs to be of the same encoding, not the game disk.

You can use foreign encoding games on your everyday Gamecube, provided that you use freeloader.

I just hacked the bonus disc to transfer the Celebi directly to English Colosseum saves, no need for the J-save middleman. Just replace every instance of GC6J with GC6E in the ISO (case sensitive!).

Pingouin7: Would a Sapphire save file be all right?

Now that's the way to do it. Simple and easy. Props!

Might have to try for myself.

Yes, a Sapphire save file containing the Celebi is fine.

I take that you got at least two different Celebi? It would be apprecied.

Since you hacked the Bonus Disc to give directly to US games, I believe you did get more than one.

I got lots. It's just a bit of a hassle to backup\restore my save off my Emerald; my Sapphire doesn't have anything worth keeping.

Okay.

Post the save file when you have time for it - no need to hurry.

• 2 weeks later...
@OmegaDonut: quick question...

Celebi can be transferred directly to any GBA cart by the bonus disc after saving to the Colosseum save. I'm not sure on the presence of the GBA ids inside the disc or whether IDs are even specified but if they are, can they also be changed to allow GBA transfer?

I'm sure it could, but at this point I have no idea what those IDs would be, and I don't think they would have included the actual cartridge ID, just some identifier that says "this is a 3rd gen cart for X language". Presumably they wouldn't know the ID for, say, Emerald was by that time.

We also couldn't figure it out by looking at the Jirachi bonus disc, because the Ruby\Sapphire cartridge IDs were hard-coded - it didn't work with FRLG or Emerald.

And we have a working solution anyway. If you have a Wii hacked to run the bonus disc, then it can also use NuGaSa to reload the GC save over and over.

Not sure if anyone here'll know, but would an EFA Linker work as a good substitute for a poke cart? It mentions having hardware support for Flash saves, but it's old as all hell. I found one here, it's most certainly not the US$130 it was previously.

(I just need to work on getting my Channel Jirachi to transfer to Emerald now arggggh)

Edited by trance

That is exactly what I am saying. On an American Colo save, with an American Colo disc, and an English GBA Emerald (which worked with American Colo previously!) it says the cartridge is not American\English.

I'm guessing the save itself is keyed to only work with certain regions, regardless of what version of Colosseum it's running on. Presumably the translators who translated that message assumed that if there was an incompatibility between save and cart, it was because the cartridge was not American.

You guys are doing terific work here. I can offer a solution to get this on the 3rd gen games. if you can get the Celebi on a gci game save as I have a Japanese colosuem (never played it thought since don't read it), Japanese Firered and sapphire cart and the Gamecube-to-GBA adapter. Then I can post the 3rd gen save for all.

Just some digging with Channel, thought it might help towards anything inside the Celebi disc.

GPAU.iso, 0x4843AF98: "FLASH1M_V103"

GPAU.iso, 0x4843B0C0: "J E D F I S POKEMON RUBYAXV POKEMON SAPPAXP"

GPAU.iso, 0x4843B190: "SIIRTC_V001"

Working filewise, these values are in pokechan.bin (confirmed through use of Dolphin); i'm sure that values may be contained in the gba-side program, but not if the whole file IS the gba-side program. If they are, recent flashcarts may work if the save type is changed to an SRAM name, which I don't know the name of since there's no megabit SRAM used in GBA carts nor do I know what type of SRAM chips are used in flashcarts. SRAM_V112 or V113 (both 512kbit) are a possibility, just pad with 00 what you don't replace. Japanese carts may work in place of English carts by swapping any of the compatible codes (E, D, F, I, S) with J, swapping one of the latter codes would work better for me at least since I have an E Emerald cart, which I would also need to change the ID for (ie. POKEMON EMERBPE, POKEMON LEAFBPG or POKEMON FIREBPR). It took me a while to figure out what that third value was... it's the damn realtime circuit, possibly linked to calls for updating the berry program.

I had to split the iso to edit, though, since i didn't have enough memory to edit the whole thing with Hex Workshop. I've haven't been able to test the altered ISO just yet, because I'm having trouble running the disc through GCBL; it could be because my notebook doens't have a proper 1x burner (it pushes up to 4x :<), and I also can't test GBA stuff in Dolphin.

Edited by trance

• 3 weeks later...

If I uploaded my Ruby save file, would one of you be able to transfer a Celebi to it from the Bonus Disc?

Edited by Guest