Pkhex Trainer Name Change

BlueMan22

Hi everyone!

I’m interested in using Pkhex to change my Trainer Name in Sword & Shield instead of starting my game over. 

Is there risks or anything I should worry about? Will it be detectable if I go online if I had a name change and I get banned? Any further advice? 

1 hour ago, BlueMan22 said:

Hi everyone!

I’m interested in using Pkhex to change my Trainer Name in Sword & Shield instead of starting my game over. 

Is there risks or anything I should worry about? Will it be detectable if I go online if I had a name change and I get banned? Any further advice? 

Start a new game. there's extra data used to identify your save as an individual, so if you change your save name, it's obvious that "the individual" changed their trainer name, and that can only be done illegally. Thus hacked.

Therefore, start a new game.

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Start a new game. there's extra data used to identify your save as an individual, so if you change your save name, it's obvious that "the individual" changed their trainer name, and that can only be done illegally. Thus hacked.

Therefore, start a new game.

What other factors & extra data go into it?

41 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

A factor that is not directly editable by PKHeX. And it is not recommended to edit it via hex editing anyway.
So start a new game.

I got an idea. Does Pkhex have a cheat that lets you set the game to complete? 

What if I started a new game with the new name but did a cheat that completed the game?

Edited by BlueMan22

28 minutes ago, BlueMan22 said:

I got an idea. Does Pkhex have a cheat that lets you set the game to complete? 

What if I started a new game with the new name but did a cheat that completed the game?

No. You should just restart the game.

If your old game has gone online before, there is no safe way to change your OT.

21 minutes ago, BlueMan22 said:

That’s what I’m saying. Restart the game with a new name but use a cheat to give me automatic game completion 

And I said no. To elaborate, such a thing doesn't appear to exist.

And even if it did exist, it would be incomplete. Such things usually have messed up story flags, etc etc.

So just restart the game and play through normally. I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but there's no way around it. If you want to go online, and fear being banned, play it normally.