pk3ds an unexpected exception has occured when trying to open pokemon x or y roms

My buddy is getting an error that says "an unexpected handling has occured"  when trying to use pk3ds on a Pokemon Y rom. Ill have him send me the rest of the error code and post it in the replies but any help is greatly appreciated. the only thing i can find online is that he may have a "bad rom dump" but i cant find anything on how to actually FIX the issue.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.    at pk3DS.Core.GameConfig.InitializePersonal()    at pk3DS.Core.GameConfig.InitializeAll()    at pk3DS.Main.OpenQuick(String path) in D:\a\1\s\pk3DS\Main.cs:line 230    at pk3DS.Main.B_Open_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\a\1\s\pk3DS\Main.cs:line 101    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)    at System.Windows.Forms.Tool

We did it, just make sure you dont have copies of the extracted folders in your rom folder. We feel stupid but im keeping this up incase anyone in the future has this problem because i couldnt find anything on this for the life of me