Withdrawing mons from HOME not writing to save

Snackedfor

After modifying some of my boxes in PKHex to have the (100% legal) Pokemon I wanted, and injecting the save back into Sword, I noticed that when I transfer a Pokemon to Pokemon Home, then boot my copy of Sword back up, that Pokemon is present in the box slot, but it's also still in Home. When I transfer a Pokemon from Home to Sword, the Pokemon is gone from Home, but isn't present in Sword either. (I haven't lost anything too valuable thankfully, but I assume the few Pokemon I did transfer are gone forever.) When I move a Pokemon from one box slot to another in Sword via Home, the changes are not saved either - the Pokemon is present in its original slot and absent from the slot I moved it to. Any idea what's going on here?

If it helps, I injected the save by ripping it with EdiZon, editing it in PKHex, restoring it with Checkpoint (I was having issues with EdiZon at that point), locating and backing up the save files with Tinfoil, mounting my Switch's sysnand, and replacing the previous save files with the new ones. It seems to have worked in that I'm not banned, but the interaction with Home has me quite worried. Seems like Home can't save changes to Sword for some reason?

Also, saving in Sword and reloading does keep the saved changes. It's only saving Sword from within Home that isn't working.

7 minutes ago, Snackedfor said:

I am. Why do you ask?

Before I answer that, are you injecting the edited save into EmuNAND, but trying to use HOME with SysNAND? (And hoping the edited save somehow goes into SysNAND when it was injected into EmuNAND?)

I tried that at first, but the save data didn't transfer over to Sword when I booted it up on sysnand, so I used this tutorial:

Now the save is on sysnand, along with Home.

I guess Home is technically on emunand too but I'm pretty sure to get it to work there I'd have to shut down incognito and 90dns and I'd immediately get myself banned.

Does the Sword save data being different on emunand and sysnand affect anything?

Long story short, I think this is a an artifact of you messing around with saving into EmuMMC, and then transferring into SysNAND (which may or may not be successful).

There's also a chance your EmuMMC and SysNAND is presently "synced", so there's already some weirdness when handling saves.

(While this is thoroughly irrelevant to you, at some point I talk about 'syncing'.
More background: sometimes, an odd thing happens, where injecting a save into Emu causes the save to appear in Sys. So people expect it to be fine, to just inject into Emu. However when the Emu/sys 'desync', they'll complain to the forums that injecting stopped working, when in fact, you're not supposed to be able to directly inject into Sys from Emu; it working previously is unintended. You likely have to do some kind of transfer mentioned in the video [I did not watch it].)

In any case, this is not related to PKHeX, and until someone can reproduce it purely using SysNAND (no EmuMMC installed), I'm more or less convinced it is related to your setup.
I sadly won't be of much help since I don't use your setup.

edit: If your present EmuMMC is made recently, and it's made from a recent SysNAND, your profiles may very well be linked. Try injecting a save with Checkpoint in EmuMMC, and see if it shows up directly in SysNAND (like reboot your system and check).

deleted my saves for both Home and Sword on the emummc side, powered off and rebooted into sysnand, and tested it out. Pokemon Home transfers to Sword still don't save. I don't know how to unsync my profile so idk if that's the issue?

On 8/4/2021 at 7:02 PM, theSLAYER said:

In any case, this is not related to PKHeX, and until someone can reproduce it purely using SysNAND (no EmuMMC installed), I'm more or less convinced it is related to your setup.
I sadly won't be of much help since I don't use your setup.

Can you link me to a better place to ask for help with this issue?

• theSLAYER changed the title to Withdrawing mons from HOME not writing to save
8 hours ago, Snackedfor said:

Can you link me to a better place to ask for help with this issue?

I can't think of any place that may help. You may have to search the net if anyone had a similar issue.

Anyhow, if you don't mind, I could run through some questions and try to troubleshoot with you.

1. How did you delete the save in Emunand?
2. After the save deletion, if you use Checkpoint to do a save back up in Emunand, does it actually produce a usable save?
3. While using HOME in OFW, after withdrawing a mon, while still in the boxes screen, did you press the + button and chose Save changes and exit?
4. After step 1 to 3, try booting the game in CFW, what message is displayed?

1. went into options, deleted the save file from data management

2. No, since there's no save data on the eumnand, the game doesn't show up in Checkpoint at all

3. yes

4. can't load Sword in cfw. "Some necessary data could not be found. It will be downloaded now." (I downloaded everything I could from Tinfoil so idk what else there is.)

Okay, there's something I'll like you to do.

Go into OFW, catch a mon, shift it into the second last slot in Box 1, then save twice.
Then, go into HOME, and shift a mon into the last slot of Box 1. Take a photo of Box 1. Then, make sure you save changes.
Then launch the game, and go back into Box 1. Take a photo.

Upload both photos here.

3 minutes ago, Snackedfor said:

I get a white screen with "There is no backup data, so you can't load data. You'll be returned to the title screen." written on it.

that is kinda weird. When you copied over the save, did you only copy "main", and nothing else?

The copy of the save I originally backed up and edited in PKHex then reinjected into the emunand was labeled "main". I used the video I linked above as a guide on how to get it to ofw without exposing my sysnand to cfw. That method had me copy the save data using Tinfoil, from the file browser: user:/save/0000000000000023 and user:/saveMeta/00000001.meta.

I don't exactly remember, but I seem to recall maybe having some kind of issue with injecting the save with EdiZon? Like, it having no effect, so I tried again with the PKHex backup file, main.bak? I don't remember which one I got working, in the end.

Normally, one's save folder would confirm main, backup, and poke_trade.

I get the feeling you're missing the other two. While I cannot be certain the lack of the other to is what causing your problem, who knows.

What you can do:
Perform the same process to get your OFW save into CFW.
Then, access the save folder via your PC. Make sure main is there.
Then, make a copy of main, paste it in the same folder, and rename it backup.
Look into older save backups of yours, and copy over poke_trade.

Now that your CFW folder has all 3 files, inject that folder into your game. (also keep a safe backup of this folder)
Then continue the process to shift them into OFW.
Then delete your CFW save.
Then try the HOME thing again.

Yup. poke_trade was missing. Added it back in, and shifted the save from cfw to ofw. Thought maybe that would fix it but...still the same problem. In fact, it's back to how it originally was when the issues started. At some point, in the process of trying to fix it, I was able to transfer Pokemon from Sword to Home with no issues, but now when I transfer a Pokemon in, save changes, and then boot Sword up, the Pokemon is both still in Sword and also in Home.

17 minutes ago, Snackedfor said:

Yup. poke_trade was missing. Added it back in, and shifted the save from cfw to ofw. Thought maybe that would fix it but...still the same problem. In fact, it's back to how it originally was when the issues started. At some point, in the process of trying to fix it, I was able to transfer Pokemon from Sword to Home with no issues, but now when I transfer a Pokemon in, save changes, and then boot Sword up, the Pokemon is both still in Sword and also in Home.

if you couldn't launch into backup mode, then I would think it's not only poke_trade that is missing.

Okay, if you delete the save in OFW, then try to launch HOME and inspect the "save", what happens?

20 minutes ago, Snackedfor said:

It works with a fresh save, yes. Both the transferring Pokemon into Home without it remaining in Sword and the transferring Pokemon from Home into Sword without deleting the Pokemon.

now if you transfer back the old save, does the old issue pop back up?