Help me to recover my childhood Pokemon Crystal save (Italian Version)

Dave92

Please Help me,
I bought a tool to store my save file of Pokemon Crystal (Italian version: I'm Italian, sorry for my bad English :( ) with more of 400 hours of game, but it is too late: the battery was drained and the file save was damaged. 

Searching online I saw that is possibile to recover data using different software or tool, so I tried different solutions. 
This is the result: 
Using of PKX Delta v4.5
Using this software, opened the .sav file and I obtained this:

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

image.png

Even if some glitches are present, the Pokemons, ASH and objects are there! 
So I tried to save this .sav file obtained by PKX Delta but it wasn't works loading it with emulator. 
After I opened always the original game file .sav with an other save editor: PikaSav. Initially I obtained an error, that I fixed "forcing" the load of the sav file, in fact there is the possibility, using this software, to load it with the option:  "force .SAV file".

I obtained this

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

image.png

My old Pokemon are still there! So I saved this file, and then I tried again to load this new .sav file with the emulator.
Now there is the possibility to select the  "Continue " tag. Selected this tag, the game tell me to set the day and hour. 
The game starts, I see Ash and Pokemon centre, I'm the happiest boy in the word, but only for just one second, because after this, all the screen presents a lot of glitch and after, the screen become white, sound stop, and I can't do anything. I tried to open start menu but it wasn't worked. 

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

At this point, after crying, I saw online that is possible to edit .sav file using hex editor. 
I tried to search how to modify it, but I don't know from where to begin, please could you help me? 

Below an image go the .sav file opened using hex editor (notepad++) and I attach the original .sav file, before to modify it using PikaSav.
I don't know if I could attach also the Italian ROM, if I could do it please tell me this, in mode to help you to help me :)

Spoiler

Edited by Dave92

I can't give you the exact answer to this situation, but first and foremost: keep lots of backups of this save file and every time you edit it (you don't want to change things and suddenly make them worse without being able to "go back" to before you made those changes).

Secondly: do you just want to extract and save the Pokemon themselves? If so, you can probably use that save editor that read the save file to just export all those Pokemon to a folder (assuming this is an option).

Edited by english09

As far as I can see, the best course of action would be to extract all those Pokémon to .pk2 files. Afterwards, create a new Pokémon Crystal save, edit it in PKHeX so that your name and ID match, insert all those Pokémon with PKHeX, then play through the game again to have a finished save. Or just download a finished save and edit the info to match yours. Both would work. I'll play around with your file anyway and see if I can get it to run.

EDIT: I managed to make it run and save in mGBA. You still have a lot of corrupted Pokémon, and the save file won't open in PKHeX so that we can batch export/import Pokémon (and PikaSav's .pkm files won't load in PKHeX), but at least it's playable. If I find any other solution, I'll let you know.

Crystal.sav

Edited by Shady Guy Jose
  • Like 1

I tried few things like loading the save file in pikasav, then loading it in some emulators and restoring it in an actual italian cart. All seemed to be working fine, and I backed up the save file again from the cart. Now it loads in PKHeX. I'm unsure if all your data is there, but at least most of the things should now be fixable with PKHeX.

PMCRYSTA.SAV

Really, thanks for the answers! :) 

@Shady Guy Jose: thanks for advices, and for .sav file. I tried to load with my emulator but there is always the same problem. Why this? For you that save file runs normally?

@SkyLink98: Thanks but also with your sav file I have always the same problem: glitch and after white screen. Maybe I wrong something?

I Would like to edit my hex file, but I'm not expert, I never do that so I ask you if there are guides where I could learn this. 
Thanks ;)

It works! I used an other GBC file, I was using the GBC take from my original game and i don't know why, it doesnt' work. Thank you really! I'm happy! 🥳🥳🥳🥳
I have only one question: I bought the bennvenn's Joey jr to backup my sav file and gbc game, so why the gbc game present this problem? I read that it is a good tool to make backups. 
Finally, if I want to learn how to read the hex file, what I have to do? Are there some guides where I could study this amazing things?🤠😎

yes, I will work a lot to restore my sav file. I remember that I captured all 251 Pokemon, but in this sav file appeared that are missing two Pokemon to capture. 
Maybe it is "normal" :).
Which tool/software do you advise to edit and restore all glitch present in Pokemon Crystal?