Unable to open Pokémon Green [JP] save file in PKHeX

Elbub

Title is my problem - I'm using the BennVenn Joey Jr (a USB GB/C/A CART DUMPER/FLASHER) to transfer the save file from my copy of Pokémon Green (Japanese) onto my PC. This works absolutely fine with all of my international English versions of the various Gen I games (and other GB generations too), but I cannot open the Japanese Pokémon Green save file in PKHeX. I get the "Attempted to load an unspported file type/size" error if trying to open the file directly and the "Binary is not compatabile with save file." error if trying to open through PKHeX.

I have only received the Pokémon Green cart today, and this is the existing save game. I just thought it may be nice to have a look through the old save file to see what was on it. The save opens fine in-game on my GBA SP, which is how I will be playing the game. I have attached the save file for reference.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also received a Pokémon Red [JP] which didn't have a save game on it. I saved immediately after starting to see if that could be opened with PKHeX, and it couldn't either.

POKEMONG.SAV

Edited by Elbub

6 minutes ago, Elbub said:

Title is my problem - I'm using the BennVenn Joey Jr (a USB GB/C/A CART DUMPER/FLASHER) to transfer the save file from my copy of Pokémon Green (Japanese) onto my PC. This works absolutely fine with all of my international English versions of the various Gen I games (and other GB generations too), but I cannot open the Japanese Pokémon Green save file in PKHeX. I get the "Attempted to load an unspported file type/size" error if trying to open the file directly and the "Binary is not compatabile with save file." error if trying to open through PKHeX.

I have only received the Pokémon Green cart today, and this is the existing save game. I just thought it may be nice to have a look through the old save file to see what was on it. The save opens fine in-game on my GBA SP, which is how I will be playing the game. I have attached the save file for reference.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also received a Pokémon Red [JP] which didn't have a save game on it. I saved immediately after starting to see if that could be opened with PKHeX, and it couldn't either.

POKEMONG.SAV 32 kB · 0 downloads

What's the progress on Pokemon green?

17 minutes ago, Elbub said:

8 badges, with 135 Pokémon registered in the PokéDex.

I tried loading your save into my emu, and no dice.

There's data, but it doesn't appear that it's usable?
For example, I went to the section that contains party data, but it's a bunch of FFs.

Thanks for the help, I've tried the same now, and ditto. I think either the contacts are in need of a good clean, or my Joey Jr is starting to play up, or my USB C port on my desktop PC is starting to play up. I've got a laptop too, so I'll try that, plus I'll clean up the carts.

Thanks again!

Just now, Elbub said:

Thanks for the help, I've tried the same now, and ditto. I think either the contacts are in need of a good clean, or my Joey Jr is starting to play up, or my USB C port on my desktop PC is starting to play up. I've got a laptop too, so I'll try that, plus I'll clean up the carts.

Thanks again!

yeah at the very least it doesn't seem non-functional.

It is dumping some kind of data but the crucial parts are all filled with FFs. Do clean the contacts, and also make sure your cart is real.

I am an idiot...

image.png.dd1d151be1fff923f1907efe47af6b9e.png

I received my Joey Jr towards the end of January, and this was one of the first of around 16 firmware updates its recieved since then.

I have now updated my Joey Jr, and the save nowloads fine in PKHeX.

Thanks for your help Slayer, and sorry for wasting your time!

I've attached the now working save file in case any one was interested.

POKEMONG.SAV

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elbub said:

I am an idiot...

image.png.dd1d151be1fff923f1907efe47af6b9e.png

I received my Joey Jr towards the end of January, and this was one of the first of around 16 firmware updates its recieved since then.

I have now updated my Joey Jr, and the save nowloads fine in PKHeX.

Thanks for your help Slayer, and sorry for wasting your time!

I've attached the now working save file in case any one was interested.

POKEMONG.SAV 32 kB · 0 downloads

oh so your dumped was on an older firmware that made it dump weird.

I'm glad it works now :3

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

oh so your dumped was on an older firmware that made it dump weird.

I'm glad it works now :3

Yup. I have no idea what was broken and what the fix did (I guess one would have to ask BennVenn about that)... But it was, and now it's not! So all's well that ends well :)

Thanks again for your help and input! Knowing that the party data on the save wasn't showing up in a hex reader despite the save loading absolutely fine on original hardware was a big help in pointing me in the direction of the issue being somewhere in the interface between all of my devices. My own knowledge of the structure of Pokémon save data is sadly lacking...

23 minutes ago, Elbub said:

Thanks again for your help and input! Knowing that the party data on the save wasn't showing up in a hex reader despite the save loading absolutely fine on original hardware was a big help in pointing me in the direction of the issue being somewhere in the interface between all of my devices.

No worries, glad to help.

My own knowledge of the structure of Pokémon save data is sadly lacking...

It's not like I memorized the offsets by heart of anything, I just checked PKHeX's source of where the party data would be located at ><

• Ashamed 1

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, Pokemonfan6498 said:

i have same thing with japanese gold and silver plus revision A

as with my response to the previous fella, you've gotta upload a save for us to take a look.
Can't perform magic here and just give a random solution without knowing the problem :/

15 hours ago, Le Wolf said:

What problems are you having? Both these save files open fine.

Are you using the latest pkhex?

yes im using it and when i try to open either of those in previous version i get something about incorrect type/filesize error or that it,s for unsupported generation or corrupted