Legitimacy of changing pokemon's balls using Pkhex

Erdbeerenrex

I know that it'a legal to change the ball type of any pokemon (excluding events and special mons). 

Just wondering if the game and more importantly, Home and Bank would know if the ball type has been changed. For example, if there's a data/code that says the ball type was modified.

I'm planning to catch a lot of legendaries with master balls to make catching super easy. And eventually changing them to the ball types of my liking. 

20 minutes ago, Erdbeerenrex said:

Just wondering if the game and more importantly, Home and Bank would know if the ball type has been changed. For example, if there's a data/code that says the ball type was modified.

There is no such a thing in the pokemon's data. However, if the pokemon you want to edit has been transferred to HOME at least once before the edits, it might be possible for GameFreak to track back the original ball thanks to the HOME Tracker.

Nonetheless, until now no one has been penalized for this kind of edits, even if the modified pokemon already had a tracker.
I'd personally suggest to reset the tracker before any editing tho. You also have to be careful in which ball you use, not all are legal combinations.

56 minutes ago, Erdbeerenrex said:

For example, if there's a data/code that says the ball type was modified.

Erm. this is a fun one. Adding on to the previous reply, let me just address a few quick things:

1. Presently there's is no such thing as ball type modified recognition in the game itself (ignoring HOME and HOME tracker; HOME servers log all kinds of data, and they can check the logs if they decide to). The game doesn't run this type of check. (As in specifically checking whether the ball is modified).

2. To an extent, that is not how save modification works. The only way the game can tell something is modified by other parties (not just the ball, but anything in the save), is that there's a checksum. However PKHeX also recalculates the checksum. So basically, the game can't tell.
(for the record, IIRC if the checksum is incorrect, it'll just tell you the game is corrupted, and either load the previous save, or force you to restart)

3. The whole point of a mon being legal, is that it's indistinguishable (datawise) from it's legit counterpart. If such a thing was a thing, PKHeX would have worked to prevent it working.

edit: I've also hidden your duplicate post. No need to post the same thing elsewhere, when we're answering you here.
Just thought you should know :3

Thank you @theSLAYER and @SkyLink98 for the quick response. I didn't know Home had a tracker feature. Have to be more cautious then for the upcoming Switch titles like BDSP.

I'll be modifying the balls before sending the mons to Bank and Home and wouldn't edit any data afterwards. Yeah, I'll be using the common ball types like Luxury, Timer, Heal, Premier, etc. 

Also, sorry for double posting.