Any way to recover this save?

jakobe

This is my one and only save I have for Pokemon Sun, which I think is corrupted. I had to recover the files from the SD card with a file recovery tool because the SD itself became corrupted. I was wondering if there's any way to recover this save, or if it's just done for. Thank you.

main

2 hours ago, jakobe said:

This is my one and only save I have for Pokemon Sun, which I think is corrupted. I had to recover the files from the SD card with a file recovery tool because the SD itself became corrupted. I was wondering if there's any way to recover this save, or if it's just done for. Thank you.

main 431.5 kB · 0 downloads

did you mess with this file or something. The offsets for some data is completely wrong.

edit: it looks like the save has many corrupted portions to it.
I tried to save your party and box, but only the first 2 boxes can be saved.

(just drag the file into PKHeX. the rest of the data on this save is from one of my older saves)

test

edit 2: in case you're curious, to why the other boxes can't be salvaged

Spoiler

image.png

a) the last bunch of "sane" data in your box 2, which in this case is your Porygon
b) Supposedly another mon, but at that point the data already seems bizarre, and is then rudely interrupted by a bunch of FFs
(details for determining if it's a mon [using sanity bytes as a hint] is explained below.)
c) a bunch of FFs, which should not be there.
[not to mention all data shown here, are in the wrong offsets]

I tracked the continuous FFs, to see where the continuous stream of FFs end, just in case a mon was split into two, but no dice.
The data doesn't look sane anymore.
image.png

Additionally, for context:
image.png

Every encrypted Pokemon, has the Encryption constant in front (the first red underline), then followed by 2 sanity bytes (the second red underline). Given that sanity bytes could not be found in that chunk that represents boxed Pokemon data, I could tell no other Pokemon remained; it appears that all that data got corrupted.

With the above point in mind, I tried looking for other sanity bytes nearby, in case they exist (in the event that boxed pokemon got shifted by a large margin), but the ones I found don't exist within the known Pokemon box data structure.
image.png

The next one I found was so far away, and it does not adhere to the standard Pokemon structure, meaning it's not a mon.

So, I tried.

edit 3: clarification on which parts is from your save, and which parts are from mine

Spoiler

image.png
a - yours
b - mine

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jakobe said:

I did take this file to PKHex before, yeah, probably why it looks weird lol.

well if PKHeX can't open it, it wouldn't modify the size or the content, it'll keep it as is.
So unless you hex edited the previous file, it is probably the result of the program you used to salvage your SD card.

11 minutes ago, jakobe said:

Thank you, at least a little bit can be salvaged!

no worries. Glad to help.