How do you recognize hacked VC Pokemon?

Farfetchd

I'm trying to work out a deal with someone for a shiny Celebi from VC Crystal, but I just realized that I have no clue what the telltales of hacked VC mons are, whereas usually I know a good chunk about pkmn files etc.

Are the PID and IVs etc. in any way tracable to the GB games? Or are they wholly random? Like, can I extrapolate a hacked VC mon off of their gen7 file?

14 minutes ago, Farfetchd said:

I'm trying to work out a deal with someone for a shiny Celebi from VC Crystal, but I just realized that I have no clue what the telltales of hacked VC mons are, whereas usually I know a good chunk about pkmn files etc.

Are the PID and IVs etc. in any way tracable to the GB games? Or are they wholly random? Like, can I extrapolate a hacked VC mon off of their gen7 file?

PID IVs are generated by Transporter, and as far as we know it's sufficiently random.
So no, you can't tell a hacked VC mon based on PID IV correlations.

There are some things that are fixed. Assuming it's treated the same way as Mew, it should have 5 perfect IVs. If it's treated like regular Pokémon, it'll have 3. If it's untouched (no battle experience), the Nature should always be the same (because it's determined by the experience it has in the original VC game at the time of transfer). PID/EC, as far as we know, is untraceable.

30 minutes ago, Shady Guy Jose said:

Nature should always be the same (because it's determined by the experience it has in the original VC game at the time of transfer)

Just adding on to this: That's provided you can see the met level. If the met level cannot be seen (met level isn't shown in in-game summary for VC transferred mon), the nature could be anything, cause the person could transfer at any level, then rare candy it to 100.

Sure, it is a useful sign, but doesn't mean much entirely, if you can't view the data on the file.

The transfer also cuts the XP down to the start of the current level. So it can still look untouched but be a different nature. I've done that by taking a Pokemon and adjusting the nature using steps in the daycare. Then after the transfer I had the desired nature and the XP gain was lost and it still looked untouched.

1 hour ago, shadowofdarkness said:

The transfer also cuts the XP down to the start of the current level. So it can still look untouched but be a different nature. I've done that by taking a Pokemon and adjusting the nature using steps in the daycare. Then after the transfer I had the desired nature and the XP gain was lost and it still looked untouched.

Now that's something I hadn't thought of. I spent hours fighting weak Pokémon with a Mew that could've been avoided 🤣

On 3/21/2021 at 11:30 AM, theSLAYER said:

PID IVs are generated by Transporter, and as far as we know it's sufficiently random.
So no, you can't tell a hacked VC mon based on PID IV correlations.

So, if someone flags a VC Pokemon as shiny in PkHeX or something and then transfers it, it's not possible to make out that it was edited, like you could with seeing seed and SID correlation in old games, for example?

2 hours ago, Farfetchd said:

So, if someone flags a VC Pokemon as shiny in PkHeX or something and then transfers it, it's not possible to make out that it was edited, like you could with seeing seed and SID correlation in old games, for example?

It's very hard to tell, especially if it was made shiny in the VC save before going into Transporter in the first place. Most Gen 1 Wild Pokémon can't be shiny, but since the game doesn't record a lot of data and Transporter sets the origin game to whatever VC game it was in right before Transporting, most could technically pass off as Gen-2-bred shinies. There's pretty much always an edge case that makes them technically possible.

• Like 3