PKX Extraction Update and Bug Thread

Poke J

This application is currently on build 20230705. The purpose of the application is to extract Pokémon that are in the RAM of main line and spin off Pokémon games. Currently, it supports gens 1 to 8 omitting LGPE, BDSP, and PLA with support for the Pokémon Gold Space World '97 demo, Colosseum, and XD. Please use this thread if any bugs or issues arise during use.

.NET 7 is needed to run the application.

Download link:

• Like 3

• Poke J changed the title to PKX Extraction Update and Bug Thread

Important application update information:

• Gen 1 support added (results very for the Japanese version of the games)
  • Gen 2 support added (results unknown for Japanese version of the games)
  • Gen 7 support added (SMUSUM only)
  • Gen 8 support added (SWSH only)
  • Colosseum support added
  • XD support added
  • Application name changed

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

@pharohzeke Does it work when you double click to open it?

ok I had to download a few programs to get it running, but I downloaded gen 3 and 4 roms and couldn't find any extractions, I could only extract from gen 1 & 2, and it felt like some of these Pkn were just random and not actual Pkn opponents would have in the game, due to their movesets being vastly different from what I know they can actually learn.  

48 minutes ago, pharohzeke said:

ok I had to download a few programs to get it running, but I downloaded gen 3 and 4 roms and couldn't find any extractions, I could only extract from gen 1 & 2, and it felt like some of these Pkn were just random and not actual Pkn opponents would have in the game, due to their movesets being vastly different from what I know they can actually learn.  

For gens 3 and 4 did you dump the entire RAM or are you trying to load the ROM into the application? Gens 1 and 2 there is a high possibility to get false results since those Pokémon have less defining values and the application just looks for data that resembles a Pokémon for that gen. It could also help me make the program better if you share the files and tell me which Pokémon you were trying to extract incase they are stored differently in the RAM so I can add them as edge cases.

24 minutes ago, Poke J said:

For gens 3 and 4 did you dump the entire RAM or are you trying to load the ROM into the application? Gens 1 and 2 there is a high possibility to get false results since those Pokémon have less defining values and the application just looks for data that resembles a Pokémon for that gen. It could also help me make the program better if you share the files and tell me which Pokémon you were trying to extract incase they are stored differently in the RAM so I can add them as edge cases.

I was looking for a sandshrew from Pkn Yellow, that a trainer uses, its the only one that knew fissure, and I was also attempting to acquire a magikarp from the Japanese version of Pkn Gold. 

24 minutes ago, pharohzeke said:

I was looking for a sandshrew from Pkn Yellow, that a trainer uses, its the only one that knew fissure, and I was also attempting to acquire a magikarp from the Japanese version of Pkn Gold. 

Japanese version of gens 1 and 2 isn't technically implemented (found that out just before release). Mind uploading the RAM dump with Sandshrew in it? Mind uploading both files here so I can take a look?

11 minutes ago, pharohzeke said:

Im not sure where I would go to retireve the RAM dump? unless you want me to send the Pkn Yellow rom.

Delete the ROM file in your last post it's not allowed to be uploaded here. That would explain why you're not finding anything if your using the ROM file with the application. Basically to get a RAM dump get the Memory Viewer or something similar to the emulator you're using and dump the memory. Which emulator are you using?

ROM != RAM.

RAM is internal memory of the device.

Makes me wonder if you even gotten the RAM at the first place.

If you're using an emulator, either a) the emulator has an option to dump RAM/Memory; or b) use Task Manager on the emulator while it's running the game, then Right Click > Create Dump File

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Poke J said:

Delete the ROM file in your last post it's not allowed to be uploaded here. That would explain why you're not finding anything if your using the ROM file with the application. Basically to get a RAM dump get the Memory Viewer or something similar to the emulator you're using and dump the memory. Which emulator are you using?

The emulator I'm using is visual-boy-advance, and do you have to have any type of playthrough progress to retrieve the RAM???

3 minutes ago, pharohzeke said:

The emulator I'm using is visual-boy-advance, and do you have to have any type of playthrough progress to retrieve the RAM???

If I’m not mistaken VBA should have a memory viewer/memory dump options. Just look through options/debugger options, if any.

well, you need to be battling the trainer, if you want to dump their mons. 

basically, for any device, even phones, whatever is shown on screen is a result of the data being in Random Access Memory (RAM). 

So if you want something to be in RAM, gotta make sure you’re in that scenario on screen.

also, as an added note, don’t upload the RAM. The ROM data is in the RAM. (The ROM needs to be loaded into the devices’ temporary memory, in order for the device to do whatever)

• Like 1

Application update:

• Code clean up and documentation. It should be easier to read now.
  • Application performance increased. Significantly noticeable with Colosseum and XD.
  • Fixed issue with gen 1 and 2 where not all Pokémon were being recognized by the extractor.
  • Fixed issue with Colosseum and XD where EV calculation check, nickname check, and OT checks did not function as intended.
  • Fixed issue with Space World '97 where the application would crash.
  • Other minor bugs fixed.
  • Added application credits.

Application update... it was pretty much been done since December.

• Code clean up and optimization.
  • Fixed bug with Pokérus, IV, and origins checks. (It's a wonder that the application ran prior to these fixes.
  • Fixed bug where Pokémon with only 1 move would not be extracted.
  • Changed framework to .NET 7
  • Various other fixes as well.