[Question] How to Decrypt a Save Block from BW_Tool?

Jollygator

2 hours ago, Jollygator said:

How can you decrypt a save block extracted from BW_Tool by suloku?

When it's encrypted, it looks like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo

Exactly, what block of data are you looking at or is the whole save still encrypted? If it is the party or PC block PKHeX can allow you to access that information.

1 minute ago, Poke J said:

Exactly, what block of data are you looking at or is the whole save still encrypted? If it is the party or PC block PKHeX can allow you to access that information.

I'm trying to decrypt block 38 for Pokemon White which is the Trainer Card Records block.

It looks like this (It's encrypted):

20210305040424_HxD_jqcBirfVs8.thumb.png.4767d819cd6856946eee50683dc46531.png

But it should look like this which is what I want (Below is block 38 from B2W2 which the BW Tool has the option to decrypt)

20210305040535_HxD_bflZlu8lkH.thumb.png.30f3c92899c437c0a60add4df94a2857.png

Suloku's BW Tool doesn't have the option to decrypt BW saves. Any ideas?

@suloku I was looking through the code of the BW_Tool application and out of my own personal curiosity was there some uncertainty to the decryption of the Trainers Records block for BW, which resulted in that part of the code being disabled in the most recent release?

I simply did not have any information about which blocks where encrypted or which weren't for BW1 or BW2. The ones I knew were encrypted are hard coded to be able to decript and re-encript.

If you have a list of which blocks are encrypted for bw (and bw2) that would be helpful.

I was reported the memory link feature is missing the starter pokémon data and I'm trying to find where it is stored both in memory link and BW1 savegame, so I could uptade to support all known encryped blocks for bw and bw2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suloku said:

I simply did not have any information about which blocks where encrypted or which weren't for BW1 or BW2. The ones I knew were encrypted are hard coded to be able to decript and re-encript.

If you have a list of which blocks are encrypted for bw (and bw2) that would be helpful.

I was reported the memory link feature is missing the starter pokémon data and I'm trying to find where it is stored both in memory link and BW1 savegame, so I could uptade to support all known encryped blocks for bw and bw2

Hey, block 38 for BW1 is encrypted like shown in the above screenshot. Can you give us the option to decrypt and dump that block with your tool?

So I've been researching a little. Fortunately pkhex already has starter editing for bw which made my life easier to locate starter in memory link data.

About block 38 decrypting code in BW being commented out: if I recall correctly, I copy pasted code fro B2W2, which were the games I was interested in when I coded the functionality (or more like copied from pkhex). To be more precise, I was interested in entralink forest. Since each encrypted block needs some known data to be decrypted (start, lenght, and seed position) and I did not know where those were for BW the code was left commented. I have now enabled it and seems they used the same structure for BW1 and BW2, so it should work now.

I want to test a little more the memory link feature, I was reported some strange behaviour and want to make sure cheren and bianca team's change when I change the starter pokémon in the edited memory link, afterwards I'll update the app at github.

BTW, doesn't pkhex have support to edit the info in block 38 anyways?

Also, keep in mind that I coded this mainly for myself and there are a bunch of "features" coded in for research purposes. Join Avenue and Medal editting would require more research and work. The other editors should work as intended, but don't expect them to be bug free. I'm not a programmer, everything I have coded has been for fun and self interest, whith a mindset of "making it work". The code is hacky, ugly and poorly documented, and I'm sorry for anyone trying to understand it.

Just use pkhex whenever it's possible. Of course the best route would be to recode everything as pkhex plugins, but I don't have neither the time or skill to do so.

ps: if for some reason you need to decrypt block 38 right now tell me via pm and I'll send some binaries, but it shouldn't take long for me to update on github

EDIT: https://github.com/suloku/BW_tool/releases/tag/20211313_21124

@Jollygator

Edited by suloku
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1