2nd Generation (GSC RMT)

So this is my GSC team I made. Most sets are copypasta from Smogon but I have made some small alterations to the Smogon sets as I saw fit. As you already know EVs and Natures didn’t exist then and the choice of held items was rather limited so most of it is Leftovers.

gengar.png

Gengar @ Leftovers

-Thunderbolt

-Ice Punch

-Fire Punch

-Shadow Ball / Hypnosis / Explosion

The idea is to hit anything I could face in the lead hard. T-Bolt and Ice Punch give that famed BoltBeam coverage and Fire Punch puts serious dents in Steelix, Forry, Skarmory, and etc Steels. In the last slot I’m torn between the above mentioned moves. Although Ghost is Physical in this Gen, Shadow Ball can put a hurting on Alakazam, who is used a lot more in GSC than in the current metagame. Explosion is for Blissey mostly and would let Gengar go out with a bang after it has surpassed its usefulness. Hypnosis helps to counter the every so common SleepTalkers.

charizard.png

Charizard @ Leftovers

-Belly Drum

-Earthquake

-Rock Slide

-Fire Blast

BellyZard is the main sweeper of this team. Since Stealth Rock doesn’t exist yet, Charizard can shine in GSC. Its attacking moves have pretty good coverage. Fire Blast takes care of Steels or anything else with high Defense that could wall its physical moves, like Skarmory.

wobbuffet.png

Wobbuffet @ Miracle Berry

-Safeguard

-Counter

-Mirror Coat

-Destiny Bond

Not much to say about Wobb but it’s lack of Encore and Shadow Tag don’t make it broken like it is now. Wobb still gets the job done and it will most likely be taking at least one of my opponent’s Pokemon down, and might be able to take down a second with Destiny Bond. If I suspect a status abuser, I’ll use Safeguard. Miracle Berry is there to get rid of the initial status since Wobb won’t be fast enough to set up Safeguard before getting hit.

alakazam.png

Alakazam @ Focus Band

-Psychic

-Fire Punch

-Recover

-Thunder Wave

Charizard is the Phsyical sweeper and Alakazam is the Special sweeper. Not many thing like switching in on a STAB Psychic and having to take a second hit before they can attack. In fact, most things not Steel, Psychic, Dark type, or Blissey are KO’d by that. The fact that Calm Mind doesn’t exist yet hampers Zam’s sweeping potential but T-Wave picks up the slack by making sure the few things that are faster than Zam (like Electrode, Jolteon, Aero) are no longer a threat if it catches then on the switch and paralysis helps the rest of the team out. Fire Punch takes care of Steels and can at least do some damage to Darks. Recover is still useful since Calm Mind and Nasty Plot don’t exist yet meaning Zam’s okay Special Defense won’t be penetrated by boosted Special sweepers and it can stall them out.

forretress.png

Foretress @ Mint Berry

-Spikes

-Explosion

-Rapid Spin

-Rest

Standard Spiking Forry. Rest and Mint Berry for maximum longetivity so it can get Spikes in and wall Physical moves. Rapid Spin is to get rid of opposing Spikes and Explosion is when Forry’s finished doing its job.

blissey.png

Blissey @ Leftovers

-Softboiled

-Heal Bell

-Toxic

-Ice Beam

Another standard set. Toxic is to spread the status around. Softboiled is to stall out Special attackers. Heal Bell gets rid of any status on my team and Ice Beam provides some offense and puts a nice dent in Dragonite.

EVs did exist in GSC. It's just that there is no 510 total EV limit, but 255 EV per stats max.

Anyways, Houndoom looks like it might pose a bit of a problem to your team. Your only check is Blissey, but once she is down, Houndoom can hurt your team quite a bit, being immune to Wobbuffet's Mirror Coat and hurting the rest of your team with its STAB Crunch and Fire Blast/Flamethrower. Good thing is, Charizard is faster and can revenge kill it, but if you switch into a Crunch, well... there goes your Belly Drum plan :/

I like the Resting Forretress + Cleric Blissey tactic. It seems nice. The thing about Wobbuffet is... no trapping moves, so more often than not, you might find it a dead weight on your team more than anything. Non-Foresighted physical attacking Ghosts and special attacking Darks like Tyranitar/Houndoom are also nasty threats on it, and you'd be hard pressed to find the right switch in if they ever come in. Aside from that, it looks pretty good.

Uh this isn't an in-game team it's a competitive team. It's for Netbattle.

Anyway I'm thinking of replacing Forry and Blissey or Wobb (two of them) for Suicune and Raikou. They can probably take care of Zard's counters better and I need a PHazer. LeadGar can come back and lure them in as well. Wobb is good but maybe I can come up with something better like CurseTar.

I can see Raikous and Suicunes putting a pain to your team as well. Raikou has Crunch to deal with Gengar/Alakazam/Wobbuffet and STAB Thunderbolt hurts everything else but Blissey. Suicune is... well... almost impossible to get rid of without STAB super effective moves or something that can take its hits and boost itself up (no Calm Mind = saving grace). How about a Snorlax? He is an efficient special wall like Blissey, only it has no Heal Bell but hurts a lot more. Only problem with that is... you may as well be sweeping with Lax than Zard.