Question about Gen 3 WC injector

Misdreavus

I'm speaking with someone who has a source for a copy of Pokémon Emerald with a supposedly genuine (obtained from one of the 2005 events) Old Sea Map. They said that as far as they know, if the WonderCard is injected using a tool such as the one offered here, the "voucher" that appears when you connect the wireless adapter and go to the Mystery Gift screen will not be there. Is this the case, or will the voucher be there even in the case of the injection? I would think (and was told on Discord) that it would be present, but seeing as how I'm getting conflicting answers, I figured I'd start a discussion so that someone who's 100% certain can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Injecting wonder cards typically don't raise event flags. Only the act of redeeming the wonder card in-game raises the correct event flags, as this is something the game does normally anyway.

Some lazy cheat codes raise a bunch of event flags; they raise other event flags, not just the intended one.
(the issue you're describing in Discord seems to be a result of this)
Non-lazy cheat codes don't have this issue.

So yeah, injecting the wonder card or using cheat codes from "non-lazy code makers" are fine.

5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Injecting wonder cards typically don't raise event flags. Only redeeming the wonder card in-game raises the correct event flags, as this is something the game does normally anyway.

Some lazy cheat codes raise a bunch of event flags; they raise other event flags, not just the intended one.
Non-lazy cheat codes don't have this issue.

So yeah, injecting the wonder card or using cheat codes from "non-lazy code makers" are fine.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've heard that some of those cheat codes can cause things like all gold Frontier symbols, etc.

What I was particularly wondering about was whether this voucher would be visible in the case of an injected Old Sea Map, or whether you only get that if it was genuinely obtained from the event with the wireless adapter. The person I'm speaking with believes it's the latter, and thus its presence or lack thereof could be used to indicate the origin of the WC (2005 event vs. injected).

Urgh, my page refreshed and my response is gone. Gonna retype it all.

29 minutes ago, Misdreavus said:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've heard that some of those cheat codes can cause things like all gold Frontier symbols, etc.

Based on the content of your quote (of what I said), I don't think you saw the edit I made to my original reply.

Basically yeah, I think it's a result of cheat codes from lazy code makers.
They found a byte that works when written to a hex address, and rather than testing to find the intended bit, they just released it as is.

29 minutes ago, Misdreavus said:

What I was particularly wondering about was whether this voucher would be visible in the case of an injected Old Sea Map, or whether you only get that if it was genuinely obtained from the event with the wireless adapter. The person I'm speaking with believes it's the latter, and thus its presence or lack thereof could be used to indicate the origin of the WC (2005 event vs. injected).

Injected wonder cards show up in the album viewer.
Here's an example, that I literally just did to show you:
image.png

As such, it cannot be used to verify whether an event was injected or not.
Yes, cheat codes may or may not have the card (depending on what cheat codes a hypothetical person uses), but wonder card injection definitely shows the card.

(tangent: no idea why you're calling it a voucher)

19 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Urgh, my page refreshed and my response is gone. Gonna retype it all.

Based on the content of your quote (of what I said), I don't think you saw the edit I made to my original reply.

Basically yeah, I think it's a result of cheat codes from lazy code makers.
They found a byte that works when written to a hex address, and rather than testing to find the intended bit, they just released it as is.

Injected wonder cards show up in the album viewer.
Here's an example, that I literally just did to show you:
image.png

As such, it cannot be used to verify whether an event was injected or not.
Yes, cheat codes may or may not have the card (depending on what cheat codes a hypothetical person uses), but wonder card injection definitely shows the card.

(tangent: no idea why you're calling it a voucher)

You are correct, I missed the edit. But thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Also, "voucher" is just the term that the person I was speaking with was using. I wasn't sure what else to call it.

1 minute ago, Misdreavus said:

You are correct, I missed the edit. But thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Also, "voucher" is just the term that the person I was speaking with was using. I wasn't sure what else to call it.

That makes sense. Wondering if it's a translator error or something. It's normally just wonder card.
Anyhow no worries :3

• Like 1