Corrupt Pokémon Yellow (virtual console) save file

Miguel B

A few years ago, I started playing Pokémon Yellow on the 3DS virtual console, and copied the save to the computer, not knowing that it would corrupt my save.

I tried to use an unlocked 2DS and convert the save to a gameboy save, but nothing fixed the corruption.

Does anyone know what I can do to recover my save?

(Save corrupted attachment for someone who can repair it)

00000001.sav

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Miguel B said:

A few years ago, I started playing Pokémon Yellow on the 3DS virtual console, and copied the save to the computer, not knowing that it would corrupt my save.

I tried to use an unlocked 2DS and convert the save to a gameboy save, but nothing fixed the corruption.

Does anyone know what I can do to recover my save?

(Save corrupted attachment for someone who can repair it)

00000001.sav 128 kB · 0 downloads

Extract the save with a save manager. This isn't that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
3 minutes ago, Miguel B said:

Sorry, but what is CFW?
So I need the console that generated the save, but not just the save?

Custom Firmware. Your device needs to be hacked first before you can obtain a save using homebrew.

No hacked device = no homebrew = no way to extract and inject saves.

Just so you know, I did point it out in the tutorials..
image.png

• Like 1

I did these processes on a hacked 2DS, but the save originally came from a 3DS that has never been hacked, all my attempts to recover the save were done on the 2DS and a PC.
On the 2DS, I tried several things, including what is in the tutorials you sent, but nothing worked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miguel B said:

I did these processes on a hacked 2DS, but the save originally came from a 3DS that has never been hacked, all my attempts to recover the save were done on the 2DS and a PC.
On the 2DS, I tried several things, including what is in the tutorials you sent, but nothing worked.

What the heck.

Long story short, as long as you've not written any more saves or started a new game to Yellow on the 3DS, you can write back the 00000001.sav to the same folder *on the 3DS*, and the Yellow would be still alive.

If you don't hack *that* 3DS, you will never be able to get a decrypted save (that PKHeX can read) for Yellow from it.

You can't just shift encrypted saves between consoles and think that's all okay. Each console has their own unique encryption. Think of each console being a house, and each house having their own unique lock and key. You can't use key B to unlock house A.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miguel B said:

I got it! It worked out! I unlocked my 3DS (the same one I played the game on before it corrupted), and then used SaveFL to delete the game's SecureValue, then it started working again. Thank you very much!

Yeah, also in the future make save backups via a save manager, like JKSV or Checkpoint. Those save backups are console decrypted, meaning it can load in any other console via homebrew. :3

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I think that I’m in a similar or the same situation. With eShop shutting down soon, I decided to do what I thought was the ‘responsible’ thing and back up all of my 3DS software to a spare micro SD card. I did not know that this would corrupt the save data of my VC Pokémon games; lesson learned, the hard way.

Now I’m looking into setting up my 3DS with homebrew and my question is this: if I have my original 3DS backup data stored on my PC, can I restore it to a micro SD card, insert it into my 3DS and access my original save data without it being corrupted? If I understand correctly, this could be done by deleting the game’s SecureValue with SaveFL?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks for putting up with my noobiness!

20 minutes ago, Aaronosauruses said:

I think that I’m in a similar or the same situation. With eShop shutting down soon, I decided to do what I thought was the ‘responsible’ thing and back up all of my 3DS software to a spare micro SD card. I did not know that this would corrupt the save data of my VC Pokémon games; lesson learned, the hard way.

Now I’m looking into setting up my 3DS with homebrew and my question is this: if I have my original 3DS backup data stored on my PC, can I restore it to a micro SD card, insert it into my 3DS and access my original save data without it being corrupted? If I understand correctly, this could be done by deleting the game’s SecureValue with SaveFL?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks for putting up with my noobiness!

Assuming that you’re just transferring the backed up data back to the same exact 3DS unit, and no system reset/transfer has been done to it: you could try to delete secure value after you’ve placed the contents back into the main SD card. Do not boot the games before deleting the secure value. 

In the future, use a save manager (like Checkpoint or JKSM) to create save backups. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Assuming that you’re just transferring the backed up data back to the same exact 3DS unit, and no system reset/transfer has been done to it: you could try to delete secure value after you’ve placed the contents back into the main SD card. Do not boot the games before deleting the secure value. 

In the future, use a save manager (like Checkpoint or JKSM) to create save backups. 

Awesome! Yep, it’s the same 3DS unit and I haven’t done a system reset/transfer. I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks for the save manager tips!

• Like 1

It worked!! I was able to restore my original 3DS backup data stored on my PC.

I forgot to say thanks for replying so quickly to my question, so... thank you!

Checkpoint is great; being able to backup my Gen 4 save files that I've had for 15+ years is amazing.  I haven't felt this way since I bought a Mega Memory Card to backup my non-VC Gen 1 & Gen 2 games/save files!  I don't like using hacks/cheats when I play, it takes all of the fun out of playing.  So, it's great to have the peace of mind that my hundreds of hours of play time are backed up.

Cheers!

• Like 2