Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Alpha (2.0 Patch Notes, still under heavy development)

Alphadaemon

I'm experiencing a bit of an AI issue where bulletin board quest 'mons will wander around, typically fine unless it's something that can traverse terrains that I can't, like a water, flying, ghost or fire type and they can end up making me completely unable to finish the quests. A bit of a bummer ^^'

On 8/17/2022 at 9:41 PM, RainbowSyrup said:

I'm experiencing a bit of an AI issue where bulletin board quest 'mons will wander around, typically fine unless it's something that can traverse terrains that I can't, like a water, flying, ghost or fire type and they can end up making me completely unable to finish the quests. A bit of a bummer ^^'

It's not an AI issue, it's something I cannot control at all. The AI isn't here to move linearily and can move all over the place, there's no easy fix to that.

• 4 weeks later...

this game is good, with shinies, some of the latest generations of pkms and more difficult level, but Why not make one version of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon -Explorers of Alpha a randomizer?

Developers here could follow their great work making the version we are following, but Why not add a randomizer version for pkms on every dungeon?

to explain me well..

One user on Project Pokemon could get it ,and this is his link:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 5:53 PM, UnironicIrony said:

Good memories from this mod, cool to see it'll get a major update.

Still haven't retried Nightmare Tower, left a permanent scar. Though I never robbed a single Kecleon market (lie).

Tower of Demise is changed in 2.0, maybe you will feel more confident in trying it haha

On 10/15/2022 at 11:43 PM, dr4gonmokid said:

A little irrelevant, but do you ever plan to make a discord server for this game?

Not that irrelevant to me, unfortunately I only have a development server for now and not more than that, I have had bad experiences with Rom Hack servers in the past. Maybe I'll change my mind in the upcoming weeks, however I have more pressing matters related to the game for now

• Relieved 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 8:10 AM, Alphadaemon said:

Tower of Demise is changed in 2.0, maybe you will feel more confident in trying it haha

Not that irrelevant to me, unfortunately I only have a development server for now and not more than that, I have had bad experiences with Rom Hack servers in the past. Maybe I'll change my mind in the upcoming weeks, however I have more pressing matters related to the game for now

I think you should try to organise a team to have a discord. Nowadays everythhing is Discord or twitch. Discord it's like the whatsapp, telegram, the social media currently for gamers. You could make events with your dev hack rom. Forums are great but the will not grow more that's the main difference between it and the latest social media..

but the last decision is yours.

On 11/5/2022 at 10:57 PM, amicablesailboat said:

Are you accepting feedback on the EOAlpha 2.0 HOTY submission here or through another way?

Discord DMs for now 'til the post is officially updated.

On 11/6/2022 at 11:31 PM, Roxas915 said:

is 2.0 going to have any preventative measures against players hand-picking what kind of pokemon they start as?

I have an internal randomizer for the exact reason that anyone can play the starter they want. No need of preventative measures.

On 10/31/2022 at 4:46 PM, Edimion said:

I think you should try to organise a team to have a discord. Nowadays everythhing is Discord or twitch. Discord it's like the whatsapp, telegram, the social media currently for gamers. You could make events with your dev hack rom. Forums are great but the will not grow more that's the main difference between it and the latest social media..

but the last decision is yours.

I plan to have a Discord at some point, but it's more for feedback and community interactions, it's something planned for 2.0

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/24/2023 at 7:21 PM, Rose85 said:

would it be possible to edit the body size limit on large pokemon like onix and legendaries in the future update so we can have a full party of 4 with them?

Unfortunately no. The Body Size restriction is a measure put in place by the game so it avoids breaking all the dungeon stuff while loading sprites. This is something I cannot remove.

18 hours ago, Balthazar said:

Looks cool but is this game dead?

I have a life, development is still ongoing and I have a Twitter if you want to follow the news @EoAlpha_off

2 hours ago, Alphadaemon said:

I have a life, development is still ongoing and I have a Twitter if you want to follow the news @EoAlpha_off

Good news and wow great stuff there. Looking forward to it but yeah take it easy. Seems it's a deep passion project, respect.

If you're open to random feature requests, since you add a lot of qol. Maybe those already exist:

- A way to see current challenge progression would be cool. Like in Recruit 'em all, seeing % of recruited mons. Maybe being able to directly send recruited ones to guild. And maybe disable recruiting duplicates if its evolution/form is recruitable elsewhere.

- Level scaling option is defo cool. But is it balanced against dungeons that reset your level to 1?

- Solorun challenge is nice, what about solorun random (random leader I mean, you could get a random leader each new day). Bruh the replayability of that would be insane.

- Is there a sort of "ultimate balanced" dungeon that resets you to 1, 99f, features a broad variety of items on the ground and some shop exclusive/sealed room exclusive (maybe new surprising items rarely found elsewhere could be randomly found too, like those new ginseng and stuff), with varied themes, tilesets, music progression? So it would test your ability to do with what you find and adapt. Replayability of this one would also be insane. I would see myself trying to complete such a dungeon with many different/random mons. Inspired by Wh0misDS and Pikasprey runs of Purity Forest with every mon, or Mystaldi challenges. No dungeon similar to that really exists in Sky.

- What's currently left on your to-do list?

Anyways, take care

22 hours ago, Balthazar said:

Good news and wow great stuff there. Looking forward to it but yeah take it easy. Seems it's a deep passion project, respect.

If you're open to random feature requests, since you add a lot of qol. Maybe those already exist:

- A way to see current challenge progression would be cool. Like in Recruit 'em all, seeing % of recruited mons. Maybe being able to directly send recruited ones to guild. And maybe disable recruiting duplicates if its evolution/form is recruitable elsewhere.

- Level scaling option is defo cool. But is it balanced against dungeons that reset your level to 1?

- Solorun challenge is nice, what about solorun random (random leader I mean, you could get a random leader each new day). Bruh the replayability of that would be insane.

- Is there a sort of "ultimate balanced" dungeon that resets you to 1, 99f, features a broad variety of items on the ground and some shop exclusive/sealed room exclusive (maybe new surprising items rarely found elsewhere could be randomly found too, like those new ginseng and stuff), with varied themes, tilesets, music progression? So it would test your ability to do with what you find and adapt. Replayability of this one would also be insane. I would see myself trying to complete such a dungeon with many different/random mons. Inspired by Wh0misDS and Pikasprey runs of Purity Forest with every mon, or Mystaldi challenges. No dungeon similar to that really exists in Sky.

- What's currently left on your to-do list?

Anyways, take care

I'll answer 1 by 1:

- ReA: there's the Exploration log that tells you the number of unique species you recruited

- Level scaling: level resets are unaffected by this feature

- Solorun random: no, however there's something cool with using Ditto in Alpha because it has Imposter. It is some sort of replayability and considering floor randomizer I could add something that generates a random species for Imposter if randomizer is active, why not !

- ultimate balanced dungeon: 5 levels of that.

Zero Isle North is a random bag dungeon. It helps preparing with whatever you get.

Zero Isle East is a Natural Mode dungeon where stats are recalculated based on main series.

Zero Isle South is the ultimate level reset, find keys to progress, otherwise you'll lose long term.

Destiny Tower is the current ultimate challenge. No bag no IQ, 1 mon, no Exp, recruiting on, 99 floors + Arceus custom boss: good luck.

Tower of Perfection: you have access to everything, however enemies all have handpicked movesets with linked and powered up moves, here to deal with everything you prepared to beat the dungeon. It will be the final dungeon next version.

- Left on the to-do list are story rewrites to fit the final goal of the game, puzzle reworks, some boss field effects, Chatot quest, ultimate items, Tower of Perfection and that's all. A lot still and that's why there's no ETA, as I said I have a life.

3 hours ago, Alphadaemon said:

- Solorun random: no, however there's something cool with using Ditto in Alpha because it has Imposter. It is some sort of replayability and considering floor randomizer I could add something that generates a random species for Imposter if randomizer is active, why not !

Holy sht this is extremely cool. Alright I'll do two Alpha red challenge runs. (Bye my free time)

- ultimate balanced dungeon: 5 levels of that.

Zero Isle North is a random bag dungeon. It helps preparing with whatever you get.

Zero Isle East is a Natural Mode dungeon where stats are recalculated based on main series.

Zero Isle South is the ultimate level reset, find keys to progress, otherwise you'll lose long term.

Destiny Tower is the current ultimate challenge. No bag no IQ, 1 mon, no Exp, recruiting on, 99 floors + Arceus custom boss: good luck.

Tower of Perfection: you have access to everything, however enemies all have handpicked movesets with linked and powered up moves, here to deal with everything you prepared to beat the dungeon. It will be the final dungeon next version.

I didn't expect this level of endgame content. There is an ungodly amount of hype stuff there! Refreshing to see actual ideas worthy of calling this a DX hack, unlike things like Skies.

- Left on the to-do list are story rewrites to fit the final goal of the game, puzzle reworks, some boss field effects, Chatot quest, ultimate items, Tower of Perfection and that's all. A lot still and that's why there's no ETA, as I said I have a life.

Thanks for answering. I'm reassured to be honest, I really thought this project was dead. Now that I know it's in a future, even years ahead, I'm happy and hyped as fk. Best news since the new mystery dungeon game.

Enjoy life man. We'll be there when you're ready.

Great job, I just hope there aren't any saving bugs... well fk. Hopefully not in the future like 2.2 in Pokemon Explorers of Heaven. Still sad that I can't choose Zoroa Hisui :(, Well you can but it took me half an hour of rerolling. XD

But really, you can get every mon from rerolling so you might as well add a list or a search function. However, that might increase load times or be extremely annoying, just saying would be convenient.

However, for some reason, the game refuses to save and just "Save failed" which means I won't be able to access the post-game, which I really want to do...

Btw: I'm using emulatorjs which I just found because I didn't feel like setting up the entire process of downloading an emulator. It works with older versions of explorers of heaven and hell as well as base explorers of sky, so I don't have a clue what is going on. Is there a special base rom that I'm missing?

Edited by Fire_Bird
Forgot to include some things.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I have a problem with the rom, every day the outlaw and rescue missions don't update, is it a possible bug or is it intentional?  then Zorua Hisui is not present among the starters. However, I'm playing on expert difficulty and I don't have any active challenges.  Thanks for your time and let me know.

• 1 month later...

Hi! It's been many years since i last played Explorers of Sky and after finding your Explorers of Alpha i've really gotten in the mood to beat those dungeons all over again, especially in such a passionate project. Seems to be be an exceptional game and I'll be waiting for 2.0 to play, even though it may take a while.

Introductions made, I'd like to make a suggestion. As i read the game changes displayed in this post i noticed none were related to death penalties. As i remember, the original game took half of your money and itens whenever you died. This is mostly ok but it was infuriating to lose some majorly important itens so it'd be nice to customize whether you lose all items, half items, no items or just lose non-exclusive/unique items.

On 11/17/2023 at 12:58 AM, Tosky85 said:

Hi, I have a problem with the rom, every day the outlaw and rescue missions don't update, is it a possible bug or is it intentional?  then Zorua Hisui is not present among the starters.

Those bugs are fixed in the currently in-dev versions afaik.

On 1/5/2024 at 10:18 PM, Hermes P Mane said:

it'd be nice to customize whether you lose all items, half items, no items or just lose non-exclusive/unique items.

2.0 will have a Vanilla mode where you won't lose any items on defeat. I don't think this will be possible or toggleable on harder difficulties

• 3 weeks later...

I recently downloaded the 2.0 version from https://hacknews.pmdcollab.org/hacks/pokemon-mystery-dungeon-explorers-of-alpha?lang=en, but when I tried running it on Drastic emulator for android, I couldn't get past the moment we sign up our team in Wigglytuff's Guild. When I tried running the same nds file on Desmume, it allowed me past that scene as per normal. Any help or advice?