Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Alpha (2.0 Patch Notes, still under heavy development)

Alphadaemon

First of all I appreciate the games big text speedup second of all I wanted to be a male Pikachu but even though my stat screen shows a male icon my sprite is female?Just wondering if it's just because Hero is a special Pikachu or if something is off with my patching job?Enemy spawn rate in Beach Cave got abit out of hand but level grinding early isn't a bad thing.Will be beating this then playing it again once 3.0 is out. :)

Edit-Tested and working on Twilight Menu AND working on real hardware via flash cart with no hiccups so far!

Edited by Burningocean2012

8 minutes ago, Burningocean2012 said:

First of all I appreciate the games big text speedup second of all I wanted to be a male Pikachu but even though my stat screen shows a male icon my sprite is female?Just wondering if it's just because Hero is a special Pikachu or if something is off with my patching job?Enemy spawn rate in Beach Cave got abit out of hand but level grinding early isn't a bad thing.Will be beating this then playing it again once 3.0 is out. :)

Edit-Tested and working on Twilight Menu!

I highly recommand you to download SkyTemple and change the spawnrate from 5 to 12 if the spawning is too much for you

I'm aware of that issue and that's the main reason why I'm inves so much time in 2.0: I want the game to be for everyone

As for the sprites I removed the small gender differences to gain the possibility to add new sprites to the game. Since adding new entries easily wasn't possible at the time, I had to replace "useless" sprites

• Like 1

Sorry again to annoy you with a question. I did unlock the Jirachi dungeon in the end, but can you still go make a wish if you recruit him, or the chance is lost forever?

Amazing game as always, I love to try hard end game dungeons with different Pokémon 

On 4/18/2022 at 10:55 PM, Alphadaemon said:

Hey !

I may try that at some point, however it's not that high in my priority list as I need to rewrite the whole layout generation process to pull that off

FYI, I already tried my hand at adding a maze layout with Irdkwia's help (replicating Frag 1's maze) and I pulled that off successfully as shown down below

Other kinds of layout aren't planned, changing current properties for corridors isn't something I've ever seen being tried yet, kinda curious about the uses you can make of this idea ngl

Yeah I check how work the game editor, seems the only things you can do is playing with the layout generation but not the map itself when exploring. But I like the idea for more various layout.

2 hours ago, XiaomuThe Fox said:

Sorry again to annoy you with a question. I did unlock the Jirachi dungeon in the end, but can you still go make a wish if you recruit him, or the chance is lost forever?

Amazing game as always, I love to try hard end game dungeons with different Pokémon 

You can make a wish after you unlock Starglow Cavern, the wish is indefinitely repeatable afterwards

1 minute ago, Atoku said:

Yeah I check how work the game editor, seems the only things you can do is playing with the layout generation but not the map itself when exploring. But I like the idea for more various layout.

When you are able to code new layouts by hand, you can add new layouts to the game since 4 layouts are duplicates of another one. I already tried my hand at adding one and it worked

• 2 weeks later...

What a great hack rom, it seems as a new story of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, fairy types and even shinies ,and also we can choose the level of difficulty. I'm not native English speaker, I'd like to say more but I'll be waiting for your last release 2.0 will be finished

Really thanks for your great job🙂

Spoiler
Spoiler

On 5/13/2022 at 6:00 PM, Edimion said:

What a great hack rom, it seems as a new story of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, fairy types and even shinies ,and also we can choose the level of difficulty. I'm not native English speaker, I'd like to say more but I'll be waiting for your last release 2.0 will be finished

Really thanks for your great job🙂

Hide contents
  Hide contents

Thank you so much for the kind words ! The whole purpose of 2.0 is to step up the game to a point where everyone can play it without worrying about the game being too hard or lacking features

I hope it will fit your tastes too !

• V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

• 1 month later...

Hey there! Thanks for your work for starters... 

But I seriously hope many changes will be added on 2.0, because there are many issues with the game; some of which have been already covered (like the spawnrate which becomes fun only when OP-level is reached) but there's one that hasn't been named yet which is Marowak Dojo's inaccessibility at very frequent moments of the game, which makes it incredibly frustrating, punishing and unfulfilling (and it isn't a motivating factor for completing Final Maze). 

Also, adding a very short timer during ultra hard boss battles is a no-no as well, because it forces the player to use brute force strength and thus, abusing Gummis and vitamin buffs over and over. 

And I think it would be great if the shiny recruitment rate would be higher, as the Pokémon are already rare themselves. 

For more little issues: I think removing Arceus' face on the top screen on many occasions would be nice and also, I have noticed a little bed save glitch at Sharpedo Bluff that can make the game crash, from time to time.

I hope I don't sound too harsh on this. 

Keep up the good work!

Edit: also, it would be nice the remove the "Mystifying Forest pairing" for the post-game scenario, as it participates in the same main problem of the game: not letting the player decided the way he or she wants to play in the first place. 

Edited by NoxInDreams

16 minutes ago, NoxInDreams said:

Hey there! Thanks for your work for starters... 

But I seriously hope many changes will be added on 2.0, because there are many issues with the game; some of which have been already covered (like the spawnrate which becomes fun only when OP-level is reached) but there's one that hasn't been named yet which is Marowak Dojo's inaccessibility at very frequent moments of the game, which makes it incredibly frustrating, punishing and unfulfilling (and it isn't a motivating factor for completing Final Maze). 

Also, adding a very short timer during ultra hard boss battles is a no-no as well, because it forces the player to use brute force strength and thus, abusing Gummis and vitamin buffs over and over. 

And I think it would be great if the shiny recruitment rate would be higher, as the Pokémon are already rare themselves. 

For more little issues: I think removing Arceus' face on the top screen on many occasions would be nice and also, I have noticed a little bed save glitch at Sharpedo Bluff that can make the game crash, from time to time.

I hope I don't sound too harsh on this. 

Keep up the good work!

Edit: also, it would be nice the remove the "Mystifying Forest pairing" for the post-game scenario, as it participates in the same main problem of the game: not letting the player decided the way he or she wants to play in the first place. 

Daily Marowak Dojois here to prevent Infinite Stat abuse, and is lifted post-Graduation, this won't go for obvious reasons in Difficult and higher difficulties in 2.0

Timer is removed for most battles in 2.0, and no you aren't forced to bruteforce bosses in Alpha. Every combination in the game beats every boss in the game with at most 2 tries if you choose the right options, it has been designed this way and tested so the difficulty gameplay works smoothly. Mistakes were made, but 1.2 Alpha is close to 2.0 Hardcore so that's why it works this way

Recruitment rates are made so you have 1/4000 chance to effectively get a Shiny under normal circumstances (no item or IQ skill), it isn't gonna be edited in 2.0

The Arceus face top screen isn't leaving top screen either, never heard of the Bed Save Glitch a single time in 1 year so it's weird, prolly an emulator issue

I won't remove the pairing in story dungeons by the way, you play the story with your team and that's all. The problem you mention is non-existent and a level design choice for 1.2, deal with it.

Well, I just quit playing the game anyway, since I'm not into punishing difficulty-based romhacks (I don't like being forced to do stuff in a romhack as if I were doing chores before getting what I want) and I don't personally think it fits a dungeon-crawling game well, as I still stand by what I said earlier: brute force strength becomes an obligation (and room moves are mandatory) and just saying "it's not" won't convince me otherwise. Also, there are still ways to infinitely increase stats in the game just by selecting dungeons where Gummis are common (or cheat devices, as far as emulators go) and doing side-quests endlessly; your "level design" choices only make it more tedious in my opinion. 

But well, I guess my points are all invalid now, since I didn't find the patience to "deal with it", as you said. 

Take care. 

6 hours ago, NoxInDreams said:

Well, I just quit playing the game anyway, since I'm not into punishing difficulty-based romhacks (I don't like being forced to do stuff in a romhack as if I were doing chores before getting what I want) and I don't personally think it fits a dungeon-crawling game well, as I still stand by what I said earlier: brute force strength becomes an obligation (and room moves are mandatory) and just saying "it's not" won't convince me otherwise. Also, there are still ways to infinitely increase stats in the game just by selecting dungeons where Gummis are common (or cheat devices, as far as emulators go) and doing side-quests endlessly; your "level design" choices only make it more tedious in my opinion. 

But well, I guess my points are all invalid now, since I didn't find the patience to "deal with it", as you said. 

Take care. 

If you consider balancing is punishing, then I think you don't understand what is a game, but that I can understand

You stand by your point ignoring the evidence I pointed you: I have tested everything so every starter combination can clear the game with max 2 tries in each story dungeon without Dojo abuse. Items and gameplay knowledge are key, yet you choose to ignore it and stick with "bruteforce". Your option isn't right and your gameplay isn't as well thought as it could be.  Maybe the hack isn't for you in 1.2 but if you want I have an easy mode in 2.0

The other ways to indefinitely increase stats exists, true, but not in one go in main game. The restrictions are lifted post-game for a reason as I mentionned. Mentionning cheating devices is irrelevant and I never take filthy cheaters in account for my game except for the anti-cheat in 2.0 :)

My level design choices are... well mine, work on your own hack if it doesn't please you, but don't throw trash on it, especially when you complain about stuff you're definitely not willing to understand

I understand yours however and every """""issue""""" you mention has been taken care in 2.0 of one way or another, FYI

I will start with the line "you don't understand what is a game": well, at least, I'm very familiar with the PMD franchise (much more than you can imagine, actually) and I know that the exploring part is already tedious enough (not sure anyone would think otherwise seriously and honestly, as it's been a flaw that lots of video game critics have been pointing out since the birth of PMD; its "gameplay repetitiveness") so I'm not on board with making it even more tedious (and the vanilla games aren't gameplay masterpieces in their own rights, actually). 

But I think that is a question of taste: the Skies romhack fits me more in a sense where the menu and the gameplay (and lots of quality-life improvements) are improved and it stops there. 

The mainline Pokémon game romhacks made by Drayano also fit my taste: quality-life improvements, a bit of difficulty increase and nothing else. 

I don't play Pokémon games to "overthink" my gameplay actions, as I generally do something else at the same time while playing, but I understand why some players look for very challenging romhacks, Pokémon being what it is. 

Maybe my comments look "noobish" (because it's like I can't even start to explain what bugged me in Explorers of Alpha, as my point of view seems irrelevant right off the bat, while obviously, if I'm playing PMD romhacks, that's because I'm a big Explorers fan... ever thought of that?) to you and I get it: I don't play your game "the way it was intended" (just saying this makes me want to facepalm myself, as it is light-years away from how I play Pokémon games, namely: any way I want), my opinion isn't well-thought out to you (I do hope I'm making things clearer with this comment though), you do you. 

By the way, "I'm not throwing trash on your game", I'm explaining since the beginning why "in my opinion", I didn't have a great time playing it. If I sound too rude or too rough, I apologise, really. 

Let's agree to disagree. 

Have a nice day. 

On 7/4/2022 at 1:39 PM, NoxInDreams said:

I will start with the line "you don't understand what is a game": well, at least, I'm very familiar with the PMD franchise (much more than you can imagine, actually) and I know that the exploring part is already tedious enough (not sure anyone would think otherwise seriously and honestly, as it's been a flaw that lots of video game critics have been pointing out since the birth of PMD; its "gameplay repetitiveness") so I'm not on board with making it even more tedious (and the vanilla games aren't gameplay masterpieces in their own rights, actually). 

But I think that is a question of taste: the Skies romhack fits me more in a sense where the menu and the gameplay (and lots of quality-life improvements) are improved and it stops there. 

The mainline Pokémon game romhacks made by Drayano also fit my taste: quality-life improvements, a bit of difficulty increase and nothing else. 

I don't play Pokémon games to "overthink" my gameplay actions, as I generally do something else at the same time while playing, but I understand why some players look for very challenging romhacks, Pokémon being what it is. 

Maybe my comments look "noobish" (because it's like I can't even start to explain what bugged me in Explorers of Alpha, as my point of view seems irrelevant right off the bat, while obviously, if I'm playing PMD romhacks, that's because I'm a big Explorers fan... ever thought of that?) to you and I get it: I don't play your game "the way it was intended" (just saying this makes me want to facepalm myself, as it is light-years away from how I play Pokémon games, namely: any way I want), my opinion isn't well-thought out to you (I do hope I'm making things clearer with this comment though), you do you. 

By the way, "I'm not throwing trash on your game", I'm explaining since the beginning why "in my opinion", I didn't have a great time playing it. If I sound too rude or too rough, I apologise, really. 

Let's agree to disagree. 

Have a nice day. 

The issue with how you phrase things is that you don't explain the "why" behind your thoughts. The gameplay is tedious with 1.2 settings and I agree, you can talk about spawn rate, enemy HPs, and a lot of stuff but... Dojo ????? You don't need maxed stats to play the game and it was designed this way, if you aren't good enough I advice you to play the 2.0 once it's out, there's lower difficulties in it. Saying not repeatable dojos make the game tedious is absolutely ridiculous.

I won't talk about the fraudish game you mentionned, stolen stuff and next to no changes go to show how insulting it is for me to see my game compared with it. And if I work on a 2.0 Alpha for so long, that's for a reason, this one being having a more inclusive hack in the end.

You play a difficulty hack considering 1.2 and complain about the difficulty and the fact you need to think as a statement (overthinking is an overstatement). Your comments are only showing that you don't want to play the game the way it was designed and I don't give a damn since I already corrected these issues in 2.0 (that's why I insist every single time with "waiting for 2.0") but I should've told it right off the bat. Playing any way you want is fair, your complains with the game can be summed with "why I can't play with every pokemon in the game during story" and "why don't you allow everyone to abuse your game", which is ridiculous, really.

1.2 is the worse version of Alpha though and I completely understand that you may have not enjoyed it, 2.0 feels like a whole new game and if you feel like it I hope you change your mind about the game.

• Proud 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Eoar said:

Hey! When can I play this game? I have been waiting for a long time。Skies romhack is so boring,I love your romhack。

Hi Eaor, you could find the last version of this hack here: https://projectpokemon.org/home/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=48328 . 

That's the best hack rom ever made of PMMS

Hope you also wait for the version 2.0

i'm 100% a ghost lurker but i think you need some praise for your work

i usually just look for gameplay-only mods, you can't guess how happy i was to find such a good mod for EoS, my favorite game ever. i was actually in disbelief about how good it is (and considering i was just looking for any main series mod that added other gens pokemon because i never thought someone would mod mystery dungeon)

all these lil things like super mystery dungeon move controls, more variety of mons in dungeons, more spawn rate, shinies and dark type luxray made my time 1000% better, thank you so much man 😭💖 
i'll be omw to play the postgame properly one of these days to hunt bosses but the R button of my 3ds broke so i would have to emulate now 😆

2.0 seems super amazing too, i wouldn't doubt starting from a full clean save again, crossing fingers for it!!

edit: i'm a hardcore on roguelikes, i would love that difficulty level for extra salt

Edited by Cofagrigus7

51 minutes ago, Cofagrigus7 said:

i'm 100% a ghost lurker but i think you need some praise for your work

i usually just look for gameplay-only mods, you can't guess how happy i was to find such a good mod for EoS, my favorite game ever. i was actually in disbelief about how good it is (and considering i was just looking for any main series mod that added other gens pokemon because i never thought someone would mod mystery dungeon)

all these lil things like super mystery dungeon move controls, more variety of mons in dungeons, more spawn rate, shinies and dark type luxray made my time 1000% better, thank you so much man 😭💖 
i'll be omw to play the postgame properly one of these days to hunt bosses but the R button of my 3ds broke so i would have to emulate now 😆

2.0 seems super amazing too, i wouldn't doubt starting from a full clean save again, crossing fingers for it!!

Thanks for the kind words!

All credits dued for SMD move shortcuts go to End and Irdkwia, not me, just so you know.

2.0 adds a ton of stuff to make the game more enjoyable for everyone, I'm glad you look forward to it! Unfortunately the development is on hold as I have had a big drop of motivation lately, but I will get back to it eventually

The remainder of the to-do list adds side-quests for both endgame QoL and more gameplay designs for main story and endgame alike

It will take the time it needs to be released as I am not looking for clout with a fast release nor for a burnout if I overwork myself

Edited by Alphadaemon
  • Amazed 2

It's crazy how far this hack has pushed Sky hacking, all the way since psycommando and evandixon's first divings. I never thought I'd see screenshots like these back when I was asking for Exp multiplier codes for BRT here as moumous4 years ago :D

That hype for 2.0 man!! Feels like the wait for RTDX. And in many ways Alpha 2.0 sounds like a Sky Remake, with much thought put to please beginners and challengers alike.

The most ambitious upcoming release in PMD hacking, for sure. And the most anticipated so forget about not looking for clout, too late it's there already ;) Good luck for what's left on the todo list

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 3:48 PM, Marhdon said:

He's in the game according to first post but haven't played yet... Should I wait for version 2.0? Is the release in weeks or more in months? I'd love to play during holidays while I still have a life ohh

I'll wait for the second version also, because sometimes there are problems (not here, but to prevent that, and to prevent I'd missed some version 2 events) with some hacks

well, have a good holidays

people here will really do a great work I'm sure. Bye

• 2 weeks later...

In PMD EO Alpha 1.2, how does one get back to The Nightmare to get the shiny mons? Or is that permanently missable? 

Edit: I just want to say that I think PMD EO Alpha is the definitive Sky experience and takes it to the next level, while being a familiar and fun experience. I'm just another happy customer, I love it and keep up the great work.  :)

Edited by amicablesailboat
Adding praise, lol.

3 hours ago, amicablesailboat said:

In PMD EO Alpha 1.2, how does one get back to The Nightmare to get the shiny mons? Or is that permanently missable? 

Edit: I just want to say that I think PMD EO Alpha is the definitive Sky experience and takes it to the next level, while being a familiar and fun experience. I'm just another happy customer, I love it and keep up the great work.  :)

Clear Tomb of Nightmares and you are asked if you want to enter The Nightmare

Thanks for the support !