Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Alpha (2.0 Patch Notes, still under heavy development)

Alphadaemon

On 6/20/2021 at 2:52 PM, Dimedime said:

Wow, thanks for the progress report.

Reveal hidden contents

Cool. Spawn rate's still low enough to recruit grind, and depending on how much initial enemy density increases, this might mean less enemies encountered, and therefore easier PP management.

Well, Jirachi grinding (for money) just got another use. I must wonder what items you have to swap, considering a ton of items are really de-valued after you unlock Marine Resort:

Reveal hidden contents
  • X-Ray Specs are re-obtainable in Sentry Duty
  • Some dungeons exclusive to this hack have monster houses full of Golden Apples and Wonder Gummies, you literally never run out of them
  • Training Grounds has farmable Joy Seeds and Wonder Gummies
  • Jirachi has tons of farmable items once you get a good team going to do its dungeon over and over again.

I'll take any Drifblim buff. Seems to be a slight buff to player-controlled Pokemon only, as enemy IQ increases high enough that they get Exclusive Move User anyway

Much appreciated. Just another addendum to this list:

Reveal hidden contents

Shiny Grovyle (with Unburden!!) and Pink Celebi can be found in Time-Leap Garden
Some shiny Pokemon can be found in World's Edge (even or odd-numbered floors, depending on if the Pokemon is exclusively male or female, respectively)
A lot of shiny Pokemon (+ legendaries) can be found in Destiny Tower. It's not ideal, because no IQ/Items + there are monster houses everywhere

Spawning makes it so you have to play more team fights instead of multiple 1v1s
Level curve and dungeon design work so late game dungeon are similar to SMD Treasures dungeon

They're not "proper shinies", to me they're Partner Grovyle, Future Celebi and Antagonist Dusknoir.
Shinies function as evolution lines, hence why I do not consider them as Shinies, + they have Exclusive-Items and are treated as special species.
Destiny Tower Shinies are available and recruitable yes, Shiny Legendaries are only recruitable here by the way.

• Alphadaemon changed the title to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Alpha 1.2 (patch: 2/22 5:57 PM UTC+1) (Last news: 6/26/2021 1:57 PM UTC+1)
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, nice job on this room hack, creating a whole new experience and making every "not so great" aspect of the game gone and adding so much great stuff like the manual mode.  I.Q. gained from gummies faster, lots of improvements from abilities

So just wanna write some suggestions for you, not sure how you can modify the game or if it's possible but well if it can give you more idea to improve it, why not.

- Tactics meeting - Avoid the first hit : Due to the fact that pokemons are spawning very faster, sometimes you got situation that you loose more time to deal with pokemons when your team try to join you back and a pokemon come again to the room. I wonder if it's possible that "Avoid the first hit tactic" use the "let's go together tactic" and trying to avoid the first hit at the same time. Like they won't go after ennemies more than X tiles

- Scouting : Why not if you decide to use "You go the other way tactic" make the map be revealed by all your teammate. Because you can actually do it by checking your position manually. Maybe it could be an IQ skill for all pokemons. But don't reveal items because actually that the job of X-Ray specs.

- About helding items, could be an great idea if some items like the X-Ray/Google specs give his effect to the leader if it's hold by one member of your team 

I don't have finished with the main story so I should come back for more. 

Edited by Atoku

On 7/13/2021 at 1:50 AM, Atoku said:

Hey, nice job on this room hack, creating a whole new experience and making every "not so great" aspect of the game gone and adding so much great stuff like the manual mode.  I.Q. gained from gummies faster, lots of improvements from abilities

So just wanna write some suggestions for you, not sure how you can modify the game or if it's possible but well if it can give you more idea to improve it, why not.

- Tactics meeting - Avoid the first hit : Due to the fact that pokemons are spawning very faster, sometimes you got situation that you loose more time to deal with pokemons when your team try to join you back and a pokemon come again to the room. I wonder if it's possible that "Avoid the first hit tactic" use the "let's go together tactic" and trying to avoid the first hit at the same time. Like they won't go after ennemies more than X tiles

- Scouting : Why not if you decide to use "You go the other way tactic" make the map be revealed by all your teammate. Because you can actually do it by checking your position manually. Maybe it could be an IQ skill for all pokemons. But don't reveal items because actually that the job of X-Ray specs.

- About helding items, could be an great idea if some items like the X-Ray/Google specs give his effect to the leader if it's hold by one member of your team 

I don't have finished with the main story so I should come back for more. 

Thank you for playing my take on EoS ! Adding features and "real new stuff" (not "under the carpet" existing stuff mind you) is really complicated and needs some skills only a few have in EoS community.
As a result, changing the AI behavior of Tactics is beyond my skills (no one's been able to change it and the same goes for IQ). Changing items behavior is feasible, though I don't think I want X-Ray, Google Specs to have a group effect (because of how broken it is by essence)
Don't hesitate to check with me here in case you wonder about the feasibility of this or that, I'll answer when I'm available for it !

9 minutes ago, ObsidianEmperor said:

Is there a way I can get a prepatched zip version? I tried patching it and got an error. I’m playing on the INDS emulator

No. Sharing pre-patched roms is illegal and doesn't follow this site rules.

It has to be patched on a non-clean US Explorers of Sky rom, just so you know.

7 hours ago, ABZB said:

Wow, I basically disappeared for several months (got very into a series of Ribbon Master runs, and then Skyrim) - this is amazing, all the kudos!

Oh wow it really means a lot to me knowing you've been around for a while in main series community 👀 (iirc you're the one guy behind the HGSS Scalemons patch right ?)

Thanks a bunch, I'll continue to do my best working on this hack !

• Like 1

• Alphadaemon changed the title to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Alpha 1.2 (patch: 2/22 5:57 PM UTC+1) (Last news: 8/15/2021 12:07 PM UTC+1)
  • 3 weeks later...

I just found this hack and im so psyched to give it a try, but I wanted to know if its possible to patch an older version? Like if I start a save in 1.12 now can I upgrade it to 1.13, or or would I have to restart? I do want to try alolan vulpix as a starter so im trying my best to just be patient and hope the release day is soon

12 hours ago, AnAberrantSundew said:

I've been going at 1.2 lately, and just want to say keep up the good work! 

This definitely deserves more attention. 

I'm really looking forward to playing 1.3 when it's out! 

Thank you ! 1.3 is soon, I'm a bit busy with IRL but I'm close from releasing the hack, I've a few things to do and I'm done !

8 hours ago, Chita4810 said:

I just found this hack and im so psyched to give it a try, but I wanted to know if its possible to patch an older version? Like if I start a save in 1.12 now can I upgrade it to 1.13, or or would I have to restart? I do want to try alolan vulpix as a starter so im trying my best to just be patient and hope the release day is soon

Hmmmm it's very complicated to answer, 1.3 saves have challenges, and it's impossible for me to add a challenge prompt if your save comes from 1.2

1.3 should theoretically be released in 1-4 weeks depending on how IRL will impact my life, I think it's worth waiting if you absolutely want A-Vulpix.

Can I ask a Question? Will Espurr be available as a starner/partner in the 1,3 update ? I Ask because there are other versions of pmd explorers of sky where there is this option . 

Thank you and i Can' t wait to play the new versione, 

25 minutes ago, Lavon said:

Can I ask a Question? Will Espurr be available as a starner/partner in the 1,3 update ? I Ask because there are other versions of pmd explorers of sky where there is this option . 

Thank you and i Can' t wait to play the new versione, 

I know you're quoting Skies and I'll answer no.
To me, adding a species implies having its main abilities from maingames coded in. For example I have added Sylveon in the game, its only main ability is Cute Charm, as a result it makes sense for me to have it in. The same goes for Regidrago/Regieleki since Transistor and Dragon's Maw are Adaptability for a specific type.
However Espurr and Meowstic have Infiltrator, as a result it makes no sense having them in, not to mention the fact adding a few entries from later games without adding the whole cast isn't a feature to me, nor anything I'd like to have in my game, since I want players to experience actual content and Quality of Life, not superficial features.
What I will/may add from future gens is:
- Rotom-Forms
- Regidrago/Regieleki
- Sylveon
- Alolan-forms
- Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash (no other Galarian forms since those are the only ones that make sense in Sky's map)
- maybe Genesect

But that's it.
Very glad you're excited to play 1.3 ! I hope you'll like it !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Alphadaemon said:

I know you're quoting Skies and I'll answer no.
To me, adding a species implies having its main abilities from maingames coded in. For example I have added Sylveon in the game, its only main ability is Cute Charm, as a result it makes sense for me to have it in. The same goes for Regidrago/Regieleki since Transistor and Dragon's Maw are Adaptability for a specific type.
However Espurr and Meowstic have Infiltrator, as a result it makes no sense having them in, not to mention the fact adding a few entries from later games without adding the whole cast isn't a feature to me, nor anything I'd like to have in my game, since I want players to experience actual content and Quality of Life, not superficial features.
What I will/may add from future gens is:
- Rotom-Forms
- Regidrago/Regieleki
- Sylveon
- Alolan-forms
- Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash (no other Galarian forms since those are the only ones that make sense in Sky's map)
- maybe Genesect

But that's it.
Very glad you're excited to play 1.3 ! I hope you'll like it !

Thank you for the exhaustive answer. 

Yes i' m very excited to play 1, 3, in fact I' m waiting for it, insterad of starting the 1,2, and not only because of alolan vulpix - which of cours I'll chose. I played Skyes so much time, that I wanted to change, that  is the only reason why I asked if there would be Espurr as an option. But i think I can do with chikorita, That pokemon I never played in my time, Especially if Meganium will know some fairy movers.

p.s . I Was talking abiuto Explorers of Hell, not Skies, but I let it go because it was not my kind of game.

Edited by Lavon

5 minutes ago, Lavon said:

Thank you for the exhaustive answer. 

Yes i' m very excited to play 1, 3, in fact i' m waiting for it, insterad of starting the 1,2, and not only because of alolan vulpix - the of course i I chose. I played Skyes so much time, that I wanted to change, that  is the only reason why I asked if there would be Espurr as an option. But i think I can do with chikorita, That i never played in my time, Especially if Meganium will know some fairy movers.

p.s . I Was talking abiuto Explorers of Hell, not Skies, but I let it go because it was not my kind of game.

Good choice ! Chikorita has a more expansive moveset in 1.3 and Fairy-Moves, including TM Compatibility with Dazzling Gleam (Bayleef and Meganium are even part-Fairy).

Hell takes some elements from Alpha, but Alpha is far less extreme, I hope you'll like it !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryoung42 said:

Please release the game please

It's not that I don't want to release the update, but I've still stuff to work on. I'm not the kind of guy providing 40 patches for 40 different features, but instead one big patch so you can keep up with updates.

Edited by Alphadaemon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, adonis said:

This rom hack is great but how do I unlock the new dungeons like tomb of nightmares 

Tomb of Nightmares is unlocked after you beat Darkrai at the end of the story, when you recruit Cresselia if I remember correctly

In 1.3, you unlock this dungeon along with a fully new dungeon called "Altar of Dreams" when you talk to Cresselia

About Tower of Demise, Fallen Star Remains and Mirage Island, they are unlocked after beating Darkrai, in 1.3 like in 1.2

If you wonder about Worldcore, this dungeon will no longer exist in 1.3, you'll see where the boss rush was moved 👀

I'm glad you enjoy the game, and I hope you'll like the 1.3 update in preparation 👀

Edited by Alphadaemon
Mixing update version numbers between my two games lol

1 hour ago, Alphadaemon said:

Tomb of Nightmares is unlocked after you beat Darkrai at the end of the story, when you recruit Cresselia if I remember correctly

In 1.2, you unlock this dungeon along with a fully new dungeon called "Altar of Dreams" when you talk to Cresselia

About Tower of Demise, Fallen Star Remains and Mirage Island, they are unlocked after beating Darkrai, in 1.2 like in 1.1

If you wonder about Worldcore, this dungeon will no longer exist in 1.2, you'll see where the boss rush was moved 👀

I'm glad you enjoy the game, and I hope you'll like the 1.2 update in preparation 👀

what about if i used my save from the regular game and just transfered it should i release cresselia and than re recruit

11 hours ago, adonis said:

what about if i used my save from the regular game and just transfered it should i release cresselia and than re recruit

Unfortunately I've considered the save migration thing too late when it comes to unlocking dungeons, so you can't without changing the game by yourself currently

In 1.3 there's an automated process for that but in 1.2 it's not present yet

Edited by Alphadaemon
Mixing update version numbers between my two games lol

On 9/15/2021 at 8:39 AM, Alphadaemon said:

Unfortunately I've considered the save migration thing too late when it comes to unlocking dungeons, so you can't without changing the game by yourself currently

In 1.3 there's an automated process for that but in 1.2 it's not present yet

Is it  simple thing to change for a normie like me and what would I need to change 

On 8/10/2021 at 4:30 AM, Alphadaemon said:

Oh wow it really means a lot to me knowing you've been around for a while in main series community 👀 (iirc you're the one guy behind the HGSS Scalemons patch right ?)

Thanks a bunch, I'll continue to do my best working on this hack !

Yeah :) The current version works for gens III-VII