Help on editing GB/GBC savegames coming from GB Transferer II

optizard

Hello guys and happy new year!
I hope I posted this on the right forum section cause I know that this is a "software" issue, but it is involving a GB Transferer II. By the way I'm facing a problem with real GB/GBC savegames. I have this working GB Transferer II that I use on an old PC to backup/restore my Pokémon Yellow and Silver savegames. I wanted to add some competitive Pokémon there with PkHeX just to have fun with friends using my Nintendo 64 with Stadium and Stadium 2. So here is the problem: when I dump the savegame (128k) I can't load it on PkHeX. Instead I load it to VBA, and I save the game so the program itself does some kind of conversion and the save file (33k-ish) can be edited by PkHeX. When the editing is done the savegame files retains that 33k size and can't be restored to the cartridge. Is there a way to convert this savegame to the 128k sized-one so it can be managed by the GB Transferer II?

I tried and sadly it isn't possible to change GB Transferer II save file format export, it is only 128k. The program I use is GBSWE V3.5. Have you got some other idea or advice? If the VBA emulator can read from that 128k save file I guess that the reverse is possible too, just I don't know what to do to make it work :(

5 minutes ago, SkyLink98 said:

The file you sent has multiple instances of the same save file.

I cropped the file at 0x7FFF and the result should be your actual save.

Ok perfect, so you are telling me that in order to send this savefile back to the gb cartridge I should multiply the hex 4 times? Is this actual magic xd?

4 minutes ago, SkyLink98 said:

I have no idea on how your actual backup/restoration tool works, but that could be a possibile way to restore an edited save file into your cart.

It is a bit old, I am using an old pc too to make that work with a serial port haha. GB Transferer II from hkems

It's kinda weird that the back ups 4x save size. Are you sure your cart is a real retail cart, not a repro/fake?

Yeah, if that is what the tool back ups, then you should make sure the file you're restoring is also 4x a save.
Maybe the tool trims it when writing back, maybe your cart only reads one of the sectors in the 4x, who knows.

On 1/3/2021 at 11:45 AM, theSLAYER said:

It's kinda weird that the back ups 4x save size. Are you sure your cart is a real retail cart, not a repro/fake?

Yeah I am super sure that it is not fake, I must say that every GB/GBC game I have backupped like Silver, Red or some others like Pinball are all 128k. Maybe it's because the Transferer II can backup GBA games too, there is a physical switch that setups the mode (GB or GBA). Of course I used the GB one when doing the backup 😂 

Hi guys I confirm that "multiplying" x4 the hex data inside the PkHeX export mades the savefile injectable with the GB Transferer II. I used an hex editor to do that, just remember to put the line 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF at the 7FF0 line then just Ctrl+A all and spam Ctlr+V for 4 times ;) I tried this only with a Pokémon Yellow cartridge so I don't know if it works with the other games. I just want to thank you all for your support and kindness on helping me out. ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1