GO - Shiny Mew

theSLAYER

It was announced by PokemonGoLive.com, that for the upcoming 25th Anniversary of Pokémon, an event to celebrate Kanto will be held. (As explained, the focus is on Kanto, because Kanto is the region that started it all)

By purchasing a paid ticket, players will eventually be able to capture a Shiny Mew. It is not known whether Niantic will hold an unpaid version of a Shiny Mew event in the future.

At this moment in time, while it is expected to be able to be transferred to HOME, there is no confirmation on the site regarding whether this Shiny Mew can be transferred to Pokémon HOME.

Source:
https://pokemongolive.com/post/pokemongotour-kanto/?hl=en

• Like 5

Do you know if this will be something like the shiny Meltan events where there's a small chance of it being shiny or if there will be there be a guaranteed shiny Mew? (I only got Go for the Meltan, so I don't know how most of these events work.)

image.png

It appears that non-repeatable Mythicals in Pokémon GO, when granted shiny status, and when officially stated, would thus be guaranteed shiny.
They've pretty much come out and said it'll be shiny.

Meltan isn't a good comparison, because it's a repeatable Mythical.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, RJR_Kaito said:

Anyone get one yet?

It's not out yet.

To be more specific, the quest is available, but owning a Shiny Mew in GO is impossible at the moment.

Part of the quest is to send 151 gifts to friends.
(And that's just quest part 1)

Which one cannot reasonably do in the next few days..

3 hours ago, King Impoleon said:

That s not all, 

at the end of the research task you have to make 999 great throws

Yup, there could still be more "waiting" past that stage.
Even if you rushed the first stage, you're stuck at the second stage with a time lock.
Who is to say there isn't any more time locks :(

its kinda unfare tbh, they know people want this and will try and rush it so they put up as may road blocks as posable to make money when you fish up

1 hour ago, SpringtraP-MasK said:

its kinda unfare tbh, they know people want this and will try and rush it so they put up as may road blocks as posable to make money when you fish up

As far as I can tell, all of the Mythical events via Special Research in GO (ignoring GO fest day quests) has been time gated up to this point.
(It appears that the paid Genesect day ticket is the exception)

Spoiler
Species Requirement Comments (if any)
Mew Battle in Raid Twice (3/8)
Battle in 10 raids (6/8)
For free players or players not willing to spend for premium passes,
without abusing the lobby glitch, they are time gated.
Celebi Visit PokéStops 7 Days in a Row (6/8)    
Meltan Battle in 2 raids (3/9)
Battle in 10 Raids (6/9)
For free players or players not willing to spend for premium passes,
without abusing the lobby glitch, they are time gated.
Jirachi Spin a Poké Stop 7 days in a row (6/7)  
Genesect Doesn't appear so. Appears to be an exception
Celebi
Jirachi
Victini
Doesn't appear so. GO Fest exclusion.
Shiny Celebi Defeat Jessie or James 4 times (3/4) At minimum, you gotta set aside 12 hours for 2 rocket balloon spawns.
(Each spawn is 6 hours, without modification on game master side;
each spawn is normally at the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock mark, for both AM and PM.)

However, if you're unlucky with RNG of the spawn (you get regular Rockets),
it will take much longer.

Additionally, they have said something to the effect of "this Mew quest is meant to take time". (They even said so in the initial announcement, before people decided to pay for tickets (if they did).

Spoiler

Initial Announcement
image.png

Their FAQ page
image.png

So frankly, whether anyone thinks it's fair or not is up to each individuals' interpretation, but at the very least, one should approach this (and in some cases, should have approached this) with reasonable expectations; it's not like past instances and their official statement didn't lay it all out for us..

[Additionally, ignoring the fact of whether you paid, some may argue that Shiny Mew, given how limited/rare/exclusive it is, should not be easy to obtain]

the first legit way to get one shiny mew was a old sea map in jap emerald, and the event is not available anymore, the non shiny mew is obtainable for everyone in GO and take long time to complete like the other mythicals in the game wich their availability is at hand of everyone even free players, obtaining a shiny one should be realy hard to earn, so i think is ok with the actual way.

• 2 weeks later...

How are people getting on with the quest line for shiny Mew?

I'm 9/30 for Catching a Pokemon 30 days in a row and just have some Ice, Dragon and Dark types to catch. I've a feeling Dragon types might hold me back a while as most of those we're Dratini from Incense during the Kanto event.

19/30 Ice
12/30 Dragon
9/30 Dark

On 2/21/2021 at 6:11 PM, TiffanyDarlet said:

the first legit way to get one shiny mew was a old sea map in jap emerald

The PCNY Mew for Gen 2 could be shiny: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Gotta_Catch_'Em_All_event_Pokémon#Shiny_Mew with a 0.5% chance. Although this only became more common knowledge once the distribution hardware was obtained, I do wonder if anyone was actually lucky enough to get one back in 2002.

This Go event is really the first truly legit way most people outside of Japan have of obtaining their own shiny Mew that can be used in current games, so i'm quite excited for this one.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

How are people getting on with the quest line for shiny Mew?

I'm 9/30 for Catching a Pokemon 30 days in a row and just have some Ice, Dragon and Dark types to catch. I've a feeling Dragon types might hold me back a while as most of those we're Dratini from Incense during the Kanto event.

19/30 Ice
12/30 Dragon
9/30 Dark

I'm at day 11, with 121 different species caught.

I've only gotten 3 Dragon types caught, 5 Dark types caught, and 6 Ice types caught.
I feel like those 3 typings are presently the bane of my existence..

13 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I'm at day 11, with 121 different species caught.

I've only gotten 3 Dragon types caught, 5 Dark types caught, and 6 Ice types caught.
I feel like those 3 typings are presently the bane of my existence..

I know what you mean! Swinub, Spheal and Snover still nest, as does Poochyena, so its possible a nest at a local park could help with Ice / Dark types at some point.

Dragon types though... time to release Dialga / Palkia in raids as shinies! or Gible community day, i'd take either haha.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

I know what you mean! Swinub, Spheal and Snover still nest, as does Poochyena, so its possible a nest at a local park could help with Ice / Dark types at some point.

Dragon types though... time to release Dialga / Palkia in raids as shinies! or Gible community day, i'd take either haha.

that's a good point. maybe time to look for nests nearby.
Also if one gets desperate for ice types, maybe can try glacial lure?

Dragons, that's a toughie. Tho if they're only in raids, I think I'll cry.

17 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

@TiffanyDarlet The pain. all I'm left with is the three painful tasks at the bottom, being Dark, Fairy, Dragon.

I see you're missing Steel. Hopefully the upcoming Beldum incense day can knock it off.

i hope so too, talonflame helped me with others tasks xD, i hope they make another special hour or comunity day and help us complete them haha

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TiffanyDarlet said:

i hope so too, talonflame helped me with others tasks xD, i hope they make another special hour or comunity day and help us complete them haha

Fletching probably helped with.. Fire and Flying? Normal and Flying? (I forgot its typing lol)
I seriously need a Dragon hour. In comparison, Dark or Fairy probably can be completed with a nest, or hunting down Pooches and Balloons. Everything else is more or less in the overworld too. It's Dragons that are a pain.. T.T

On 3/16/2021 at 7:27 AM, InsaneNutter said:

We've had a few Noibat and Gible spawning recently which has helped with the Dragon part of the quest, I've some how managed to get up to 21 Dragon now.

Dark types are few and far between in my area though. I'm at 11/30 for Dark and 28/30 for Ice.

I ended up being left with Dragons.

For Dark types, I hunted for Rocket Grunts, and hoped for the Ghost Grunt (Sableye), Fire Grunt (Houndour) and of course, Dark Grunt (any dark types).
For Ice types, the Ice grunt spawns felt rare so I really had to diversify. Had to hope for Water (Seel), Ground (Swinub), Grass (Snover) and Ice Grunt (any ice type). Though, being able to use Glacial Lure (or position myself at someone else's Glacial Lure) certainly helped with it.

• Like 1