STADIUM 2 COMPATIBILITY ISSUE

MetaleroSmith

With the update of October 10, pkhex added compatibility with pokemon stadium 1 and 2, but when loading a sav or .fla from pokemon stadium I get an error, it tells me: an attempt was made to load an unsupported file type / size ; Is there any solution? or what may be happening, thanks.

image.thumb.png.fcd7debf0caab8bd2794cde68c3bc56d.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry for the necropost, but I think I won't be the only one stumbling into this problem and searching got me to this thread, which doesn't have a clear (user friendly) answer to the issue.

Problem is that project64 (and probably other n64 emulators) don't round up savefiles to full n64 savetype filesize. In the case of pokémon stadium 2, as Kaphotics stated, project64 creates a 0x1FF00 file (130816 bytes) while PkHex expects a 0x20000 file for (USA/INT) stadium 1 and 2 savefiles  (131072 bytes). One can manually solve this manually with any hex editor or file padder.

I went ahead and coded a simple app that will pad n64 savegames to the nearest savetype (depending on the input savefile). Originally I only intended to make it pad the stadium savegames, then I saw Japanese Stadium 1 (or stadium 0) uses a different savetype, so I went ahead and made a more general app that can work with any n64 savegames.

Just drag and drop a savefile onto the .exe file and you will get a file with the "_pad" suffix added to it.

n64savepad.zip

Edited by suloku
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2021 at 9:40 AM, suloku said:

Sorry for the necropost, but I think I won't be the only one stumbling into this problem and searching got me to this thread, which doesn't have a clear (user friendly) answer to the issue.

Problem is that project64 (and probably other n64 emulators) don't round up savefiles to full n64 savetype filesize. In the case of pokémon stadium 2, as Kaphotics stated, project64 creates a 0x1FF00 file (130816 bytes) while PkHex expects a 0x20000 file for (USA/INT) stadium 1 and 2 savefiles  (131072 bytes). One can manually solve this manually with any hex editor or file padder.

I went ahead and coded a simple app that will pad n64 savegames to the nearest savetype (depending on the input savefile). Originally I only intended to make it pad the stadium savegames, then I saw Japanese Stadium 1 (or stadium 0) uses a different savetype, so I went ahead and made a more general app that can work with any n64 savegames.

Just drag and drop a savefile onto the .exe file and you will get a file with the "_pad" suffix added to it.

n64savepad.zip 15.82 kB · 199 downloads

so how do you save the file once its _pad?????