Pokemon Gen's 1 & 2 .sav files self deletes after using GB Cart Flasher v1.1 readRAM feature.

- x - - -

Hey guys. I've currently encountered an issue when using the GB Cart Flasher v1.1. Every single time I use this application for my friend's copies of Pokemon Red and Pokemon Silver, for some reason when I select the 'readRAM' feature it would state on the application the extraction was successfully but would produce a blank .sav file and deletes the save files stored on the cartridges. I'm not too sure as to why it does this as I've tested the device and application with my cartridges and, it would always successfully produce my .sav files without deleting my save files from the cartridges. Now, just to add on, the difference between my copies of games and my friend's copies are mine have new batteries installed into the cartridges when I had purchased mine via online whereas my friend's copies have there original batteries as well as not been taken cared off by giving them a case. He's had those copies since the release of the games and have NEVER opened them up. I can only assume the reason as to why his copies get corrupted during the extraction phase is due to having a dirty motherboard and potentially a battery failure. Yes. Before anyone asks, I have tested his cartridges out by creating a new save file and repeatedly saved the game and, rebooted the game to see if the save file were to remain. Any ideas from other people's knowledge or experience would be much helpful as I've never opened up a Gameboy cartridge have even attempted to replace the batteries or them or even to clean the motherboard. Please and thank you! :)

2020-10-12 (3).png

Edited by - x - - -
Original topic was completely different as to what the real problem is.

9 minutes ago, SkyLink98 said:

That's the ROM. Not the save file.

Remove the attachment as it's against the forum rules to share ROMs.

Yeah.. I realised I was using the software completely wrong and was extracting the actual flash and not the save file. I've edited the post to fit the new error I'm encountering now

Edited by - x - - -

The save file you attached is blank, maybe the reader wasn't set properly, or the cart was not well inserted into it. Try to clean the contacts and click first on "Cart Info" into the Flasher program to check if the cart is read correctly.

Attached there is a comparison between your blank save file and an actual Red save file:

Cattura1.PNG

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SkyLink98 said:

The save file you attached is blank, maybe the reader wasn't set properly, or the cart was not well inserted into it. Try to clean the contacts and click first on "Cart Info" into the Flasher program to check if the cart is read correctly.

Attached there is a comparison between your blank save file and an actual Red save file:

Cattura1.PNG

The cart info appears to be working fine. However, I've tested my Pokemon Yellow & Crystal cartridges and they are working fine. However, I realised now every single time I use the software it automatically deletes the save file on the cartridge. It did have a save file on the cartridge before I used the software but for some reason it keeps deleting my save file so when I would select read RAM it would extract a blank file 

2020-10-12 (5).png

It seems strange to me. 

I succesfully used the software with the following settings to dump my Red Save File, the carts still load correctly on my GB.

Spoiler

Cattura.PNG

If it works well with other carts, I can only assume that you're using it the wrong way when trying to dump the Red save file. Also, the software is only supposed to Read the save file (if you pay attention to not press any "write button" ofc), so there is no way it will overwrite the RAM with blank values. 

To be sure, check that the game battery isn't yet dead. Try to make a new Save on Red, remove the cartridge by replacing it with another game in the console, turn on the console, turn it off again and put the Red cart back in. Is the save file still available at this point?

13 minutes ago, SkyLink98 said:

It seems strange to me. 

I succesfully used the software with the following settings to dump my Red Save File, the carts still load correctly on my GB.

Reveal hidden contents

Cattura.PNG

If it works well with other carts, I can only assume that you're using it the wrong way when trying to dump the Red save file. Also, the software is only supposed to Read the save file (if you pay attention to not press any "write button" ofc), so there is no way it will overwrite the RAM with blank values. 

To be sure, check that the game battery isn't yet dead. Try to make a new Save on Red, remove the cartridge by replacing it with another game in the console, turn on the console, turn it off again and put the Red cart back in. Is the save file still available at this point?

From what I'm aware of when I purchased my copy of Pokemon Crystal and Yellow on eBay the seller stated he/she has replaced the batteries for both of them whereas my copy of Pokemon Red I recently had gotten it from my friend who says this is his original copy from when he was a kid and the battery hasn't been replaced for it. However, before doing anything the cartridge already had a save file within it and after using the device & software the save file was completely gone when inserting the cartridge into my GameBoy Colour and gives me the option to either start a new game or access the option menu. I tested it out by creating a new save file, saved the game twice, rebooted the game to see if the save file remains and it does. It's just every single time I insert the cartridge to the device and use the device to read RAM it creates a blank file. I have not used the write RAM feature in any situation given, just read RAM. Not sure how to resolve this problem :/

3 minutes ago, - x - - - said:

From what I'm aware of when I purchased my copy of Pokemon Crystal and Yellow on eBay the seller stated he/she has replaced the batteries for both of them whereas my copy of Pokemon Red I recently had gotten it from my friend who says this is his original copy from when he was a kid and the battery hasn't been replaced for it. However, before doing anything the cartridge already had a save file within it and after using the device & software the save file was completely gone when inserting the cartridge into my GameBoy Colour and gives me the option to either start a new game or access the option menu. I tested it out by creating a new save file, saved the game twice, rebooted the game to see if the save file remains and it does. It's just every single time I insert the cartridge to the device and use the device to read RAM it creates a blank file. I have not used the write RAM feature in any situation given, just read RAM. Not sure how to resolve this problem :/

Try to save the game, load another game into the gameboy, save that game, then reload Red. Is the save still there or it got wiped?

33 minutes ago, SkyLink98 said:

Try to save the game, load another game into the gameboy, save that game, then reload Red. Is the save still there or it got wiped?

Yeah it seems as though both the games my friend gave me recently the save files get removed when I read RAM. I've checked multiple times if I'm doing everything correctly with the settings (RAM/ROM size) and its always the same with Pokemon Red and Pokemon Silver. My Pokemon Crystal and Pokemon Yellow works perfectly fine. The only difference between the cartridges are Pokemon Crystal and Yellow have a new battery installed whereas Pokemon Red and Silver they have there original batteries. Yes, I've tested it multiple of times the games do save and remains as a save file on both copies

On 10/12/2020 at 8:40 PM, SkyLink98 said:

I can't think anything besides some problems with the battery. 

I would try to change the games internal battery.

If you're sure that's not the problem, i suggest to contact the flasher producer or seller.

a bit late of a reply due to being busy offline but I'm thinking of doing the same. going to see if changing the original batteries with newer batteries will resolve the issue. as well as giving the motherboard of the cartridges a deep clean with the correct tools. thanks for trying to help me out @SkyLink98. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond :)

• Ditto 1

• - x - - - changed the title to Pokemon Gen's 1 & 2 .sav files self deletes after using GB Cart Flasher v1.1 readRAM feature.