Changing Items in B/W?

Caelum

You need to identify the script used in the place where the NPC gives you the item.

If you use the Lua Script from Kaphotics when you are in the location in-game, that should help you identify this.
The Lua Script to download and paste into the same place where you load your ROM from is zdXow. I would read the first link below for some background into this.

Gen 5 Lua Script Info

B2W2 Lua Scripts

You will need to download NPRE 1226, this will allow you load your ROM, then view the script required from above in understandable language.

NPRE 1226

You will need to extract the Narc from your ROM using Nitro Explorer 2b or Tinke. (Links should be on this site somewhere)
The Narc you want to extract is a056.

NitroExplorer2b / Tinke

Next you will need to use the program called Kiwi, where you drag your extracted Narc into that to decompress the files within the narc (There should be over 1200 files extracted)

Kiwi

You will then need to open that script file in HxD (or any hex editor) then convert the offset number from NPRE into Hex (use the Windows Calculator in Scientific mode as it does it for you)

HxD Hex Editor

That will allow you to find the part of the script where the NPC gives you the item.

Use this link here to identify the Gen 5 item numbers, then change whatever the current item is to the Super Rod.

Gen 5 Item List + Index Numbers

It seems like a lot to read but once you get the hang of it - it isn't too bad.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I got most of this stuff already but my issue now is figuring out what lua script to use exactly. From what I understand, the lua scripts in the B/W1 thread are for RNG manipulation, right? And I actually followed Kaphotics' tutorial, only to realize that his scripts aren't backwards compatible with B/W1

I just tested the zdXow.lua script on my version of White and it works

You just need to download that one and copy / paste it into the directory where you have your game files for your BW rom

If using Desmume 0.911, you then need to click Tools > Lua Scripting > New Lua Script Window and locate the .lua file