Jump to content
PkHexBoi

What do you guys personally do with the Gens 1 & 2 SAV files?

Recommended Posts

you can use them your journey.

Not everything has to be transferred to the future.
It's like people playing with Spiky Eared Pichu in HGSS. Or Cosplay Pikachu in ORAS.
Neither of those can be transferred up ><

Also your question said "SAV files" in the title, but it looks like you're talking about event files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

you can use them your journey.

 

What do ya mean? If ya mean on your journey in-game only, you'd have to be able to put them on an original cartridge, right?

Edited by PkHexBoi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can have them for your playthrough. You can use them wherever you want;
a Pokemon does not have to be legal to be in a save.

Just know, if it's not on a retail cart, or by extension Stadium, it's illegal.
(and if on a VC save, probably cannot be transferred up, as in Transporter would reject it.)

While having illegal mons on lower gens *probably* don't matter, having illegal mons detected on Bank or HOME probably is a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SkyLink98 said:

I personally restore them into my actual carts. The goal is to have two (Jap and non-jap) carts per gen with all the possibile events.

Any idea where I could buy extra carts and whatever tools I’d need to transfer files to them? I have all of my original cartridges from 20 years ago (and batteries haven’t died yet) but rather not mess with those ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this is the right place to ask where to buy things. I'd bet ebay or local retrogaming stores could be a good start tho.

As the tools you need, the only requirements is a working game with a working battery and a GB dumper. I use a FlashBoy and it works pretty well. Cost is about 20-35$.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SkyLink98 said:

I don't think this is the right place to ask where to buy things. I'd bet ebay or local retrogaming stores could be a good start tho.

As the tools you need, the only requirements is a working game with a working battery and a GB dumper. I use a FlashBoy and it works pretty well. Cost is about 20-35$.


does the FlashBoy work with GBA cartridges too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PkHexBoi said:


does the FlashBoy work with GBA cartridges too?

Mine does not work, but i know there are some models that works for GBA too. You need to read the description of the dumper you're going to buy. Anyway, for GBA save file you don't need a dumper if you have a DS Fat/Lite with a Flash Card like an R4:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used 1 YOSHIRA Mew shared on this site for my Pokémon Blue run. I also traded Charmander and Zapdos from the Twitch Plays Pokémon savestates.

Someday I will upload it to my Blue Cartridge. It was a fun experience.

Also in Gen 2 I've been doing some shiny hunting, I use PkHex to preserve my shiny Pokémons for future Gen 2 runs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 6:32 AM, TotalTS said:

I used 1 YOSHIRA Mew shared on this site for my Pokémon Blue run. I also traded Charmander and Zapdos from the Twitch Plays Pokémon savestates.

Someday I will upload it to my Blue Cartridge. It was a fun experience.

Also in Gen 2 I've been doing some shiny hunting, I use PkHex to preserve my shiny Pokémons for future Gen 2 runs.

Can I ask why shiny hunt in Gen 2 instead of Gen 3 so that you can at least transfer them up to current games so that they won’t get lost in the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PkHexBoi said:

Can I ask why shiny hunt in Gen 2 instead of Gen 3 so that you can at least transfer them up to current games so that they won’t get lost in the future?

In Gen 2, shininess is related to IVs, so you can have a chance that's as high as 1 in 64 if you're smart with egg groups or manage to get a shiny Ditto. And by injecting those saves in the VC version of Gen 2, you can transfer up to Gen 7/8 (just not 3–6).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shady Guy Jose said:

In Gen 2, shininess is related to IVs, so you can have a chance that's as high as 1 in 64 if you're smart with egg groups or manage to get a shiny Ditto. And by injecting those saves in the VC version of Gen 2, you can transfer up to Gen 7/8 (just not 3–6).


Yeah, but if you inject into VC then they’re not legit. Like the Gen 1 Mew events. If you transfer them to VC then transfer up, they’re considered illegal. I get ya though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PkHexBoi said:

Yeah, but if you inject into VC then they’re not legit. Like the Gen 1 Mew events. If you transfer them to VC then transfer up, they’re considered illegal. I get ya though!

Based on your reply, I feel like you may be thinking they're shiny hunting illegal stuff, hence it can't get sent to HOME via VC.

This is the blurb the user said relating to shiny hunting:

Quote

Also in Gen 2 I've been doing some shiny hunting, I use PkHex to preserve my shiny Pokémons for future Gen 2 runs.

The user didn't say they're shiny hunting illegal stuff (presumably shiny hunting in-game stuff).
And in context to your question, it becomes why shiny hunting in gen 2 is much more preferably over gen 3

and the answer was given to you was as follows:

3 hours ago, Shady Guy Jose said:

In Gen 2, shininess is related to IVs, so you can have a chance that's as high as 1 in 64 if you're smart with egg groups or manage to get a shiny Ditto. And by injecting those saves in the VC version of Gen 2, you can transfer up to Gen 7/8 (just not 3–6).

So in essence, the response you got says
Shiny hunting in-game mons in gen 2 may yield a higher shiny chance, if you plan the DVs that will be passed down from Ditto right.

 

Quote

I get ya though!

If the user originally was talking about shiny hunting in-game stuff, then I don't think you did XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Based on your reply, I feel like you may be thinking they're shiny hunting illegal stuff, hence it can't get sent to HOME via VC.

This is the blurb the user said relating to shiny hunting:

The user didn't say they're shiny hunting illegal stuff (presumably shiny hunting in-game stuff).
And in context to your question, it becomes why shiny hunting in gen 2 is much more preferably over gen 3

and the answer was given to you was as follows:

So in essence, the response you got says
Shiny hunting in-game mons in gen 2 may yield a higher shiny chance, if you plan the DVs that will be passed down from Ditto right.

 

If the user originally was talking about shiny hunting in-game stuff, then I don't think you did XD


Anything caught on Gen1/2 cartridge and then injected into VC is automatically illegal, though....right? Because obviously it isn’t meant to be done like that. So isn’t that why on Gen 1/2 event pages, it specifically says they’re not legal on VC, only on physical cartridge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PkHexBoi said:

Anything caught on Gen1/2 cartridge and then injected into VC is automatically illegal, though....right? Because obviously it isn’t meant to be done like that. So isn’t that why on Gen 1/2 event pages, it specifically says they’re not legal on VC, only on physical cartridge?

The process is less than legal, but the data would look legal either way. Without the mon going through Stadium or receiving a cart event, you can't distinguish between the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

The process is less than legal, but the data would look legal either way. Without the mon going through Stadium or receiving a cart event, you can't distinguish between the two.

Wait, then why do the Classic Gen 1/2 events specifically say, in red text, that it won’t be legal to transfer it up? I just don’t want anything from actual Gen 1/2 cartridges that would be impossible today to have from VC to Gen 8.

 

I guess what I’m asking is: what can I get from VC (injected from cartridges) to Gen 8 legally, that I couldn’t get just by using a legal PkHex save to Gen 7 then to Gen 8 through Bank/Home?

Edited by PkHexBoi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PkHexBoi said:

Wait, then why do the Classic Gen 1/2 events specifically say, in red text, that it won’t be legal to transfer it up? I just don’t want anything from actual Gen 1/2 cartridges that would be impossible today to have from VC to Gen 8.

IIRC, those events likely would have data that can be distinguished from VC data.
Maybe an event location, which no VC event has, (affects Gen 2 events)
or a move, that no VC event has, (affects either game)
or an OT, that no VC has had. (primarily affects Mew)

Read what I said about it being legal because they can't be distinguished.
Now reverse that saying: that also means that if there was a reason that they could be distinguished, they'll be illegal.

2 hours ago, PkHexBoi said:

I guess what I’m asking is: what can I get from VC (injected from cartridges) to Gen 8 legally, that I couldn’t get just by using a legal PkHex save to Gen 7 then to Gen 8 through Bank/Home?

Can't remember off the top of my head, so just assume no retail cart event.
They all have one thing or another that is different from VC gen 1/2.

Importantly, VC gen 1/2 has almost nothing different from the retail games.
Heck, the base games they run off, are exactly the same.
The only difference is extra game code running on top of them (changing Jynx's colour, wireless trading, etc)

With that in mind, think of it this way: if events were exactly the same as encounters that retail cart could obtain innately, would anyone get them?

In any case, when it was warned that events for retails are not legal for VC, those factors were taken into consideration, and thus if warned about their illegal then they are indeed not legal.
Don't need to think too much about it it you cannot comprehend why.
I've already explained when makes them legal or not. If you can't understand it, then all you gotta do is accept it 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PkHexBoi said:

Can I ask why shiny hunt in Gen 2 instead of Gen 3 so that you can at least transfer them up to current games so that they won’t get lost in the future?

I also do shiny hunting on Gen 3, I just like Gen 2 too much to replay it along the years or trade to another rom hacks, I do not intend to transfer for the moment.
Still, I did a test and moved my Shiny Suicune to Pokémon Moon with PkHex to see how it worked, and yeah, it was pretty cool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Can't remember off the top of my head, so just assume no retail cart event.
They all have one thing or another that is different from VC gen 1/2.

I honestly just don’t see the point then of injecting stuff into VC to transfer up if you can just skip that entire process and just get a PkHex SAV and put it right into Gen 7 then Bank/Home to Gen 8.

 

I was thinking there was a point to it (like physical cartridge events injected into VC to transfer up or other things that only the physical cartridges could get) but doesn’t seem like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PkHexBoi said:

I honestly just don’t see the point then of injecting stuff into VC to transfer up if you can just skip that entire process and just get a PkHex SAV and put it right into Gen 7 then Bank/Home to Gen 8.

 

I was thinking there was a point to it (like physical cartridge events injected into VC to transfer up or other things that only the physical cartridges could get) but doesn’t seem like it. 

In that perspective, you're right. It's no different from doing that. But it still requires hunting them in a Gen 2 game. And injecting the save into your VC game or PKHeXing the mons to a Gen 7 game and then injecting that one would yield the same result

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...