Well the problem im having is finding out where the generated codes are being stored on my computer. Im using vista, I read something further back about word but cant find the clipboard there either.

Ugh, I guess I'm going to have to add clarification to the tooltips on this part. The clipboard is just the term for the location that copied data is saved to. When you generate codes, they're put on the clipboard, which allows you to simply paste them wherever you need to. For example, you can open Notepad and press ctrl + v (paste) and they'll be pasted. In your case, you're going to be pasting them into the AR code manager when entering a new code.

Edit: ...I forgot I had even added more information to the "Generate" button's tooltip already. As the first post says, if you can't figure out something, read tooltips. I realize that's not exactly documentation on how to use the program, but it IS there.

No, on vista when you click generate, you have to have word open, and have to open the word clipboard for it to appear there.

I don't have Vista or Microsoft Office (assuming that's what you're referring to by "word"), so I can't test this. I have to say that the claim sounds completely ridiculous though. Even if it is happening... somehow... I HIGHLY doubt it's this program's fault.

No it's not the programs fault. But that is what happens.

I see, well, I intend to add exporting of an XML file for codes, I'm just not sure when. Maybe on the next update, since it's not particularly difficult.

Edit: It's been added.

Edit2: Since I'm sure this won't be obvious to some people... somehow... you have to have selected Pokemon before you can export codes, just as when generating codes.

Edited by Codr

Updated to:

- Added support for loading and saving of encrypted Pokemon files.

- Added support for loading Pokemon from codes.

- Writing to PCD and PGT files hasn't been working all this time. This has been fixed.

- Changed the program's font to utilize ClearType rendering.

- Fixed some potential problems with switching between code types.

Loading a Pokemon from a code may be buggy. It supports party and PC codes only. However, you can also put in the raw data for a party or PC Pokemon by itself. (In hexadecimal dword format. Raw data should be 59 dwords for party Pokemon and 34 dwords for PC Pokemon.)

- Fixed the positioning of the code input dialog when the main dialog is moved.

- Added randomize IVs and EVs buttons.

- Slightly changed some of the encounter names.

- Fixed a crash that was occurring when switching code types under certain conditions.

- Changed the country, origin, and shiny leaf comboboxes to not be editable, since they have such short lists.

- Enabled tab key navigation on the code input dialog.

I should just post here instead of that other thread.

So, ok, from reading this thread I see that most of my questions are answered. The trash bytes are taken care of automatically,(very nice!) the extra bytes are supposed to all be zero, etc. I think the only thing I really need to know about are the unused trainer name bytes that you were talking about that PokeSav handles differently than the game does. Do I have to edit them in PokeGen, or does PokeGen take care of them for me like the trash bytes? If PokeGen takes core of them for me, do I just need to open the pkm file for it to do so?

I think the only thing I really need to know about are the unused trainer name bytes that you were talking about that PokeSav handles differently than the game does. Do I have to edit them in PokeGen, or does PokeGen take care of them for me like the trash bytes? If PokeGen takes core of them for me, do I just need to open the pkm file for it to do so?

When you load a file, regardless of what it is, it'll display any name bytes that aren't set as the game sets them. The games set most names (Pal Park and in-game-received eggs seem to be the exceptions, but there could be more) to <name> with 0xFFFF and 0x0 repeating until the remaining bytes are used up. When you just type in a normal name in PokeGen, it'll append 0xFFFF to the end with 0x0 repeating until all characters are filled, as the game typically does. Obviously if you put in the maximum number of characters, there isn't even room for 0xFFFF, which isn't what the game allows.

Ok, that makes sense. When I type in my name though, for the OT, PokeGen doesn't fill anything in. My name is Mat, so there should be what, 7 more possible characters? I mean, I can just fill them in myself if that's right. It would look like.. Mat\FFFF\0000\0000\0000\0000\0000\0000 right?

I looked at my current team, and Pokesav seems to have filled it in with a lot of random crap.. For example, my Metagross: Taro\FFFFM\FFFF\0211\0002\0000\4008, Lucario: Anubis\FFFF\FFFF\50C8\020D\3B28

I knew Pokesav wasn't all that great, but wow.

When I type in my name though, for the OT, PokeGen doesn't fill anything in. My name is Mat, so there should be, what, 7 more possible characters? I mean, I can just fill them in myself if that's right. It would look like.. Mat\FFFF\0000\0000\0000\0000\0000\0000 right?

PokeGen hides the FFFF 0000 ... from you, since it's pointless for you to see it. The idea is that you don't need to think about it.

ohhhh, ok. so it's already in there, i just can't see it. sorry, i misunderstood. so, then, when i name a pokemon within pokegen, the unused bytes will be handled properly and i won't see it, correct? but when i open a pokemon in pokegen that was first edited in pokesav, i'll see the screwed up unused bytes and i can remove them and pokegen will fix them? is that the idea? i'm just trying to get a feel for what i need to be worried about.

so, then, when i name a pokemon within pokegen, the unused bytes will be handled properly and i won't see it, correct? but when i open a pokemon in pokegen that was first edited in pokesav, i'll see the screwed up unused bytes and i can remove them and pokegen will fix them?

That's correct.

- Changed the encounter combobox to be uneditable.

- Added some new information to the origin tooltip.

- Added flavor text and Hidden Power type/power to the stats tab and PID finder dialog.

- Added the ability to open files when the program starts. This also means files can be associated with PokeGen so that they can just be opened by double clicking.

- Added version information to the exe.

- Hopefully fixed the display of the program icon being the wrong size in some cases.

Hi there

I've read through all the pages in this thread so if this is a peated question then I apolgize.

I was reading on www.serebii.net about the events that happen for HG & SS, naturally to find that there are little parts of the game that require these "event pokemon" to access certain areas

I rushed to find Pokesav and to find that it cant do it and that the version avaliable seems to be buggy, I searched the forums and came across PokeGen

But cut long story short is it possible to generate the event pokemon to get the events enabled in game?

E.g.: The Spiky Hair Pikachu and Celebi event for facing Giovanni.

Again sorry if this has already been discussed.

But cut long story short is it possible to generate the event pokemon to get the events enabled in game?

There's no reason they can't be. However, I don't know what they need to have set, specifically. I do know that the "Fateful encounter" flag is related to some events.

Well I'm giving it a try once i've completed the last bit of HG i'm on I'll let you know how it goes trying to re-create Event pokemon and seeing if they work to unlock the parts of the game.

I spose it would be easier to see if theres Action Replay code just for the event pokemon but cant seem to find any coding for that..lol

Plus I'm after PokeWalker event Action Replay codes as well to get the particular courses but seeing as thats nout to do with PokeGen I'll try a different thread...lol ^_^;

Also a suggestion for PokeGen. When you click the Pokemon you are after lets say Abra it would be good if it set in the MET tab a default of where it was caught. I know u could easily look this up on the web and do it yourself but again just a suggestion =)

I'm noticing with the program that when I make a Shiny Spiky Eared Pichu, that when I put everything in [right game, my ID and SID] that it says "Apparently Met at Level 30." Am I doin something wrong or will it change to "Met at Level 30" when I save and restart?

You're doing something wrong, and the tooltips tell you what. (Assuming you're even entering accurate information.)

I just discovered your program today and I had a few questions. Does your program normalize trash bytes or will i still have to use trashbytes.exe? Does it apply the proper hidden hex values for each version? Finally regarding the code section, is that only for when I generate an AR code or will I have to do that even if I load my save file into pokegen?

Thanks for your work on this program and thanks for any answers you can give.

Does your program normalize trash bytes or will i still have to use trashbytes.exe?

That depends on what you mean by "normalize". If you don't supply all of the characters for the Pokemon name/trainer name, it sets the first missing character to 0xFFFF, then the rest to 0x0000. (Which is what the game does. Event Pokemon seem to use nothing but 0xFFFF though.) ("0x" means a hexadecimal value, btw.)

Does it apply the proper hidden hex values for each version?

Yes. That was the whole point behind letting you select the met games.

Finally regarding the code section, is that only for when I generate an AR code or will I have to do that even if I load my save file into pokegen?

It's only for using the Action Replay. If you're just modifying save files, you can ignore it entirely.

- Added a close button to the character map.

- Added an option to disable the character map.

- Updated the character map to include 2 HG/SS characters that I didn't know were added. These characters, like a few in Platinum, won't be visible in preceding games.

- When moving the main dialog with the character map open, the character map will now move as well.

- Selecting unused characters at the end of the character map is no longer possible.

- Fixed the "flavor" text when multiple IVs share the highest value.

- Fixed stats for alternate forms of some Pokemon not being calculated properly.

- Fixed the "Selected Pokemon" text being improperly aligned.

- Fixed the use of the enter key on button controls on the tabs.

- Fixed button controls on the tabs not removing the default state after being selected.

Hello, I haven't been on in awhile but I put a team together and I press generate code and I don't know where the code goes...

Any idea how to find it?

As the tooltips and several other posts in this thread say, you simply paste the code wherever you need it after clicking Generate. It's no different than copying text from something like Notepad.