GEN3 Lilycove Museum pokemon data? (Pokemon Rescue) ✔️⭐

pokemontourist

I was wondering, if a pokemon in GEN3 gets a portrait in the Lilycove Museum (after winning a master rank pokemon contest), does its data get stored as it does in the Hall of Fame? It does show that the pokemon is shiny, for example. So I thought that maybe it stored PID, OT and more as the Hall of Fame does.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, I wasn't sure where to ask about it.

Edited by pokemontourist
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ok, so I looked into it and the paintings do store nickname and shininess, so there is a very high chance it stores PIDs althogether (IVs, nature, gender, ability...), so a lost pokemon could be recovered with the PID it stores, which is what I'm trying to do (a shiny piloswine from my childhood). I have all other info except for the IVs and PID, just like this video:

Spoiler

I'm trying to navigate the hex code of the save to find the location of the museum data, and see if there are PIDs stored there. I found out that only nicknames are searchable, not pokemon species names, so that data should be either encoded or uses a different table.

By my testing, I think there is a chance for overwritten paintings to still be stored in the save (as in, when you replace it with a new painting). I have yet to confirm this thou, I'm gonna try it out now. This is unrelated to my objective but I wanna know if it does.

I'm a noob with hex editing and I'm learning as I go, so any guidance or resources would be very appreciated. I still don't know how to locate and decode the hall of fame data, but Im going to try to figure that now because I think it can be 1:1 to how the museum data works, minus stored OT, TID and SID.

Oh... I see, I had no idea about that regarding the video!

And the problem is that my pokemon didn't have a nickname. So that makes it tougher to find.

Here is the sav! In the museum there are 5 paintings; of a piloswine, ditto (both shiny), ninjask, zigzagoon and Blaziken (nicknamed RON). I do have the PID of the ditto if it was necessary to compare.

Here goes nothing:

POKEMON_EMER_BPES00.sav

Edited by pokemontourist

29 minutes ago, pokemontourist said:

I think I found something. Do you know your Blaziken's PID?

Also, was the Ditto's original OT name JORGE?
Edit again: looks like it is!

Appears to be this:
image.png

Do note that block shuffling (which naturally occur during saves) will cause the address to shift.

It's found in section 04.

image.png

Based on that, your Piloswine's details can be found here:
image.png

Don't forget to take endianness into account.

Note: for species ID, you gotta use this list, as the internal species IDs in Gen 3 games are slightly different.

• V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

Yes! Blaziken's PID is 0A31F551.

And no, it shouldn't be that, but ANABEL. The JORGE one is one I transferred to gen4 and left ghost data (I checked with A-Save, it can see the info of the pokemon that were just transferred and until another is placed in their spot in the box it doesn't go away... and it is there). That's the one I gamesharked as a kid, but the other one is legit. But maybe I did a contest with it? It shoulnd't be the case thou, iirc.

Also, I tested it and it does seem like the museum data doesn't get erased up to 4 re-writes/replacements of the painting with other pokemon.

EDIT: O_O   ...it can't be!!!!

Edited by pokemontourist

35 minutes ago, pokemontourist said:

Yes! Blaziken's PID is 0A31F551.

And no, it shouldn't be that, but ANABEL. I the JORGE one is one I transferred to gen4 and left ghost data (I checked with A-Save, it can see the info of the pokemon that were just transferred and until another is placed in their spot in the box it doesn't go away... and it is there). That's the one I gamesharked as a kid, but the other one is legit.

Also, I tested it and it does seem like the museum data doesn't get erased up to 4 re-writes/replacements of the painting with other pokemon.

Are you sure you won a contest with ANABEL's Ditto in this save?

I'm not finding the OT ANABEL anywhere. I do find this Ditto, as well as RON the Blaziken.

Like for example, this is the Blaziken:
image.png

The PID matches what you gave, the name matches what you gave.
Also the name JORGE appears here.

Maybe it isn't the OT, but rather the name of the person who won the contest?

I'm unsure how the contest paintings work in Gen 3.

Anyhow, do you know the name "OTILIO"? Or "BASILIO"
Maybe these are NPC names?

EDIT:
image.png -> image.png

So I changed Sharpedo's Hex data to Ditto.

While the contest reference text is broken (which would be easy to fix; probably one of the bytes I didn't name), it does confirm that JORGE is indeed the name stored.

EDIT again:
image.png

Yup, it was the unidentified byte (the 09. 02 is the correct value for paintings in the Lilycove Contest Hall)

Too easy :3
image.png
That confirms the data I showed you was indeed Piloswine's data.

• Teary-Eyed 1

Nop, no idea about OTILIO 🤔  It may be a Colosseum OT (but of the spanish version). EDIT: Oh, BASILIO! I'm pretty sure that's a Colosseum OT! (of the purified pkmn)

ANABEL should appear in the hall of fame, that's were I was able to recover the ditto's PID and a couple more of other pokemon. That's where I got the blaziken's PID too.

I suspect that OT is not stored when a pokemon gets a painting, because in the hall of fame you can see that ingame, while in the museum you just see the sprite and nickname of the pokemon/species. Maybe because the devs showed less to the player, they decided to store less too.

I know for a fact that there is leftover data of a piloswine too that was transferred, another gamesharked copy of the original. And I know for a fact that one doesn't have ribbons, so it can't be the one from the museum (I still have that one in gen4, just checked just in case).

And ooohh.... so it was the gamesharked ditto that did the contest!? For reference, these are the in-game paintings of the two shiny pokemon (both should be ANABEL OT to be the originals, and not the gamesharked copies):

masterrankcleverness.png.ed1eff983a93e6839ece8c6ea865d944.pngmasterranktoughness.png.7b469f8f5cc9c5b4b8b12211abc450f3.png

("The smartness maestro - the wise Pokémon <Name>" and "The mighty tough hyper Pokémon <Name>")

Here is the same sav without the ghost data of the transfers so the museum locations can be easier to track down. Worst case scenario, I did get the paintings with the gamesharked copies of the two legit pokemon (JORGE OT), and they are irrecuperable (well, the piloswine is...), hopefully that's not the case!

POKEMON_EMER_BPES00 (ghostless).sav

Edited by pokemontourist

image.png

On your 'ghostless save', it still says JORGE.

I reckon they just stored the name of the save's trainer as the one that did the contest.

I mean, if the PID is the same as the ANABEL copy you sent. As such, there's no reason to doubt it, right?
It's not like your gamesharked copy has the same PID, right?

So yeah, I showed you the right Piloswine :3

• Amazed 1

OMG YOU DID IT! THAT HAS TO BE THE DITTO FROM THE PAINTING!

So the museum does store PIDs! As well as TID and SID?! And it does store OT althou it isn't visible to the player, but not the OT from the pokemon, the OT from the game??? Interesting... I would have taken a million years to figure this out by myself, I'm sure...!

Sadly... I think the piloswine... the piloswine may be gone. It should have the same TID and SID as ditto, right? F6EB and 585E  :·(  But it's different. I'm trying to revive it in PkHex but it doesn't turn shiny (I may be doing something wrong thou)

1 minute ago, pokemontourist said:

OMG YOU DID IT! THAT HAS TO BE THE DITTO FROM THE PAINTING!

So the museum does store PIDs! As well as TID and SID?! And it does store OT althou it isn't visible to the player, but not the OT from the pokemon, the OT from the game??? Interesting... I would have taken a million years to figure this out by myself, I'm sure...!

Sadly... I think the piloswine... the piloswine may be gone. It should have the same TID and SID as ditto, right? F6EB and 585E  :·(  But it's different. I'm trying to revive it in PkHex but it doesn't turn shiny (I may be doing something wrong thou)

Is the Piloswine from Anabel's? else why would the TID/SID be the same as Anabel's Ditto?

No, only one leaf green game. And the created TIDs were like all 00000 weird ones.

So the piloswine from the painting has C02F2057 as a PID? That's strange, because the gamesharked one I have left in gen4 doesn't have that PID. A copy I completely forgot about?

What is the TID and SID from the one in the painting? EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your upload.

Edited by pokemontourist

4 minutes ago, pokemontourist said:

No, only one leaf green game. And the created TIDs were like all 00000 weird ones.

So the piloswine from the painting has C02F2057 as a PID? That's strange, because the gamesharked one I have left in gen4 doesn't have that PID. A copy I completely forgot about?

What is the TID and SID from the one in the painting? EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your upload.

yeah, I used the PID, TID, and SID, obtained from the painting.

Took the PID -> Generated Method 1 IVs.
Took the PID -> Generated correct level based on assumed met location.
Made it Leaf Green, because ANABEL's Ditto was from Leaf Green.

TID/SID -> TID/SID. Lol.

Is ANABEL your own save or from some other person?

Mine! ^^ The leafgreen cartridge I had as a kid. I got 3 shiny pokemon from there, just by playing normally when I was little (ditto, swinub, and another one)

So, one weird thing I saw, is that the TID and SID from the painting are the same TID and SID from my firered playthrough... it's so strange because I don't remember anything like that, neither getting a piloswine from there nor being it shiny. Or gamesharking one like that... I wasn't able to know a pokemon's SID back then, so it would have been impossible for me to create it that way. I am that forgetful that I actually got my piloswine from firered instead of leafgreen??? Or maybe it's possible to make the PID work with the ANABEL TID and SID and I'm just doing it wrong? But the painting... that data couldn't have just changed the TID and SID for another's pokemon, so it has to be from firered?????? I'm so confused.

I have a question, is there any way to know what seed was used for a pokemon's IVs? Most of the time 2 seeds appear.

254371076_Screenshot2022-07-09184845.png.6c36feeefbad897051dc3f21cb12b3ab.png

18 minutes ago, pokemontourist said:

Mine! ^^ The leafgreen cartridge I had as a kid. I got 3 shiny pokemon from there, just by playing normally when I was little (ditto, swinub, and another one)

So, one weird thing I saw, is that the TID and SID from the painting are the same TID and SID from my firered playthrough... it's so strange because I don't remember anything like that, neither getting a piloswine from there nor being it shiny. Or gamesharking one like that... I wasn't able to know a pokemon's SID back then, so it would have been impossible for me to create it that way. I am that forgetful that I actually got my piloswine from firered instead of leafgreen??? Or maybe it's possible to make the PID work with the ANABEL TID and SID and I'm just doing it wrong? But the painting... that data couldn't have just changed the TID and SID for another's pokemon, so it has to be from firered?????? I'm so confused.

I have a question, is there any way to know what seed was used for a pokemon's IVs? Most of the time 2 seeds appear.

254371076_Screenshot2022-07-09184845.png.6c36feeefbad897051dc3f21cb12b3ab.png

Yeah if the TID matched then it is reasonable to think it came from FR instead of LG.

And nope, it is not possible to know for sure which seed was used.
It could easily be the first set or the second set.

• Like 1

Shiny MaleMuIXxKj.gif.7647d6b3b8599c137bc043350f25f8d9.gif

Spoiler

SHE'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

It was absolutely her on the painting! So she was from firered all this time... 20 years passed from when I caught her, so it makes sense I mixed it up down the line.

I can't believe it. Like, it took me hours to finally realize this is happening. So many years thinking it was impossible and everything was lost...

Thank you so much for giving it a chance theSLAYER, I'm so happy. Like, this was never done before, and now we know the Lilycove paintings, both in the museum and in the contest hall, store PID, TID and SID apart from nickname... anyone will be able to restore their pokemon from the paintings! I didn't even remember or realize that there were paintings in the contest hall too! That could have been huge to be able to recover other pokemon (not my case, by the looks of it).

All in all, there are 5 possible paintings in the museum... +6 paintings in emerald's Lilycove contest hall, and in ruby and sapphire, 3 in Lilycove, and 1 in Verdanturf, Fallarbor, and Slateport. But it's important to note that all of the contest hall paintings, contrary to the museum, can have NPCs stored instead of the player's pokemon.

Also, in my testing, I overwrote/replaced the same museum painting with different nicknamed pokemon to find out if old ones got deleted, and I can confirm that the PID, TID and SID of the old pokemon, all of their painting data in fact, are still fully stored up to 3 times after they were replaced. Maybe even more replacements are possible (I did delete the pokemon of the previous paintings off the party/boxes right after they got their painting to make sure only the painting data showed up, if there was any left. Around 5 instances of the old pokemon showed up in the first and second replacement, but at the third, only 2 showed up, in the same format of the painting data).

Well, what more can I say? I hope this discovery can help other people, or be useful in some way!

As for myself, I can't ask for more. I get to be with my beloved old friend again!

tumblr_90d78e129fd2e64e857050b345619588_806246ba_540.jpg.943a792374ee999cb29bbc9331016d56.jpg

Edited by pokemontourist

• pokemontourist changed the title to GEN3 Lilycove Museum pokemon data? (Pokemon Rescue) ✔️⭐

I'm glad that you got it back. :3

Do be aware that we obviously made some assumptions:
1. That Method 1 is the likely culprit, as it is more common (IVs generation)
2. That we assumed it was one of the seeds, not the other (IVs generation)
3. That is was caught in Icefall Cave 1F (not B1F), and wasn't hatched (affects met level & encounter slot, met location)
4. That it has no EVs (EVs are missing)
5. That is has no contest stats (those aren't retained in the painting too)
6. It was crafted without any ribbons (in hindsight, it should have had the ribbon for winning said contest).
And a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

Anyhow, just keep in mind this is obviously a recreation. The original was lost :/
But it is a spiritual successor or continuation :3

(For the record, I hastily made together the Hall of Fame program, so I know a thing or two about data stored in weird parts of the save)

In any case, I guess now I can also make recreations using contest data stored in paintings lol

• Like 1

Yes, it's true 😔 PID by itself isn't enough to fully recreate a pokemon, even when in gen3 and gen4 pokemon it determined shininess, nature, characteristic, gender and ability (in gen5 pkmn it was unrelated to nature, and in gen6 pkmn it only mattered for shininess), but I do consider it the most important piece to succesfully recover a gen3-5 pokemon because it determines IVs.

We may not know the exact seed or method, but I have a trick to being able to narrow down the options and even find out the authentic one: hidden power type and characteristic!

As a kid I did look them up before the pokemon was lost, so I have a faint memory of which ones they are. Of course, it's not a exact science, but other people may have photos, written notes or memories from which they can know for sure about these! Once you know, it can even be narrowed down to 1 option! (and if your pokemon is a starter or stationary pokemon, then it only can have method 1 IVs!)

About my piloswine, don't worry, I edited her to have/recover her tough master rank and artist ribbons, as well as the ones I know I gave all my pokemon. I know her attacks and met level because I remember it well. Also, if I wasn't sure about the met level, it is lost when transferred to newer generations anyway, so even if you get it wrong it only matters if the poke stays in it's own generation iirc. Same for contest stats. And I'm almost sure her hidden power was grass!

Also, I planned to wipe out her EVs in gen8 to train her differently anyway (with that isle of armor NPC. I love that they made that a feature!), so that isn't an issue in my case! For other people, ya, it kinda sucks, but it can be fun to train the rescued pokemon again. I do personally think the EVs are the most benign out of all the data that can be lost from a pokemon.

The only thing my piloswine may be missing is, maybe, a couple of contest ribbons bellow master rank, if I did try that... so if I guessed the IVs correctly, it's 99 to 100% the exact same pokemon! 🐗❄️

I hope people can use paintings PIDs to complete that piece of the puzzle, like I was able to do (...if I'm not remembering her hidden power type wrong!)

And you did an amazing job with the hall of fame extractor, it helped me immensely and is such a cool and useful tool for the community to have 👍💯

Edited by pokemontourist

33 minutes ago, pokemontourist said:

We may not know the exact seed or method, but I have a trick to being able to narrow down the options and even find out the authentic one: hidden power type and characteristic!

I mean if you remember the hidden power type and characteristic,
it may help to narrow it down. Basically test each set of IVs, and see which one gives the type/characteristic you remember.

No worries, I know the pain of losing a long lost partner in a game. I've got a shiny Mawile from Sapphire that I lost to save corruption way before I joined the site.

• Like 1