Pokemon Shield save won't load on Switch CFW

blancomex

Back when HOME released I transferred a bunch of Pokemon from my CFW Switch to my non-CFW Switch (Pokemon Shield to Pokemon Sword respectively).

When the DLC was released in June I tried to reload my save (note that I hadn't changed anything about the save since the last time) and the CFW Switch would hang on the loading screen for the game (the mostly black screen with the Switch logo <<before>> the title sequence).

Erasing the save and starting a new game loads it fine. Loading a previous save file from months earlier works fine too. I tried updating my firmware and the game itself but no luck. My Pokemon Sword saves on my CFW Switch import just fine as well, so I'm thinking it's a problem with the save file itself. Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated!!

I've attached the save file here.

Thanks in advance!

main

7 hours ago, blancomex said:

Back when HOME released I transferred a bunch of Pokemon from my CFW Switch to my non-CFW Switch (Pokemon Shield to Pokemon Sword respectively).

When the DLC was released in June I tried to reload my save (note that I hadn't changed anything about the save since the last time) and the CFW Switch would hang on the loading screen for the game (the mostly black screen with the Switch logo <<before>> the title sequence).

Erasing the save and starting a new game loads it fine. Loading a previous save file from months earlier works fine too. I tried updating my firmware and the game itself but no luck. My Pokemon Sword saves on my CFW Switch import just fine as well, so I'm thinking it's a problem with the save file itself. Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated!!

I've attached the save file here.

Thanks in advance!

main 1.44 MB · 5 downloads

You may have too many activated raids. Import a raid block that has them unactive, then try again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

You may have too many activated raids. Import a raid block that has them unactive, then try again.

I imported a raid block from a much earlier save that worked. Now the game loads, but it takes me to the language selection screen and has me begin a new game.

I've attached the modified save.

main

Does it throw you a save corrupted message, then take you to the language selection screen?
Or does it take you there immediately.

If it's the first, you probably didn't import the save right. (maybe named the save, a .bak is there etc.)

If it is the second, then maybe you imported a block from an empty save or something didn't you.
Honestly there's many saves on the forums that has been started. Worse come to worse, you can spend time to slowly deactivate one raid by one..

3 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Does it throw you a save corrupted message, then take you to the language selection screen?
Or does it take you there immediately.

If it's the first, you probably didn't import the save right. (maybe named the save, a .bak is there etc.)

If it is the second, then maybe you imported a block from an empty save or something didn't you.
Honestly there's many saves on the forums that has been started. Worse come to worse, you can spend time to slowly deactivate one raid by one..

Nope, no corrupted message. The imported block came from a save that had about a week of progress on it. 

I’ll spend the time on deactivating each raid, but you think it’s that? No other block or data I can take a look at?

Thanks for taking the time on this!

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

It's pretty likely it's the raid. I looked at your older save, and it looks like you have more than 10 active.

Additionally, the whole "stuck at the Switch loading sequence" is reminiscent of another save that had that issue.

So I went back to my original save before the Raid block import, and I went Den by Den setting each Den type to "none" and setting their flags to "0"

At first I left 10 active, and it still kicked me to the new game options.

Then I disabled every Den, and still the same issue.

Any other ideas on what it may be?

5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I was able to boot your Alberto save (the one which you imported the raid block, if I'm not mistaken), and you're in the Pokemon Center.

I can only conclude that you're doing something wrong with your importing process.

Hmm odd. Okay, let's see if I'm missing any steps:

1) Edit save in PkHex, then Export SAV > Export Main

2) Created a new folder for the save file in root > JKSV > Pokemon Shield > Save File 3 in the SD Card

3) Saved file (main) in that folder. (The "main" file doesn't have a file extension). There are no other files in that folder besides the "main"

4) Insert SD Card into switch, boot Switch CFW, open JKSV (not in applet-mode)

5) Select Pokemon Shield, navigate to "Save File 3" folder

6) Select "Restore"

Am I missing something in my process? Should I try another way to restore the save file? Doing this with Pokemon Sword works every time, so I'm not sure what is going on here.

6 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

can you take a screenshot of the save file 3 folder?
Also make sure extensions view are turned on.

Next, I would need to ask, whether you have Emunand/emuMMC

When you mentioned EmuMMC it reminded me of a problem I had when upgrading my SD Card where the EmuMMC wouldn't read files with an archive bit. I checked the folders and files of the modified raid saves and sure enough they had the archive option checked. JKSV wasn't restoring the save which is why it kicked me to the game start screen. The saves with the modified raids all work correctly now. Thank you so much! I've been trying to figure this out for months.