Is it possible to obtain HA version of ability of Gen 5/Gen 6 that did not have HA (at the time)

AliceTheAlice

Hello all,

With the addition of addition of the "Battle Version" feature in v1.2.0 Update to Sword & Shield, we are now able to the first time ever used transferred Pokémon in OFFICIAL competitive events. This means it's possible to Alolan evolution only Pokémon bred in Alola or a Kantonian Weezing. From time to time, species with only a single ability have their abilities revised. In Gen 7, the Pelipper evolution line gained a Hidden Ability. In Gen 8, the Weezing (Kantonian) line when from being a single ability species to a 3 ability species.

This means when a Pokemon obtained in a prior generation is migrated, their ability will update to match the current generation. (For example: if you transfer a bred Kantonian Weezing with "Levitate (2)" from Alola to Galar via Bank/Home, you will notice that Kantonian Weezing will have "Neutralizing Gas (2)".)

Since this concept of updating Pokémon without Hidden Abilities to gain Hidden Abilities, I would like to know if it's possible to have obtained the Hidden Ability version of Pokémon which as of Generation 7 did not have a Hidden Ability? (For example: is it possible to obtain "Levitate (H)" Koffing from the Dream World?)

In the scenarion of Pokémon without Hidden Abilities as of Generation 5 or 6, was it possible to obtain the "Single Ability (H)" ability from either the Entree Forest OR Friend Safari OR DexNav?

The ultimate end question is:
Is "Stench (H)" Kantonian Weezing legal in Sword/Shield?

Thanks

Edited by AliceTheAlice

I'm confused tho.

From non-SWSH to SWSH, it simply retained it's ability value.
it went from (2) Levitate to (2) Neutralizing Gas.
It not a HA. It's still Ability 2. It didn't suddenly gain a HA through the transfer process.

Yet, you're asking about Dream world stuff, which if I'm not mistaken, everything there was released as HA (besides mon's that didn't have HA).

Isn't this more a question of
"finding mons which has their abilities changed within the same slot", as opposed to asking for HA?

Isn't this scenario similar to Pelipper gaining Drizzle in Gen VII? Isn't it kinda like Gengar losing Levitate and gaining Cursed Body instead?
The ability slots stayed the same, but the ability in the slot itself changed.

8 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Isn't this scenario similar to Pelipper gaining Drizzle in Gen VII? Isn't it kinda like Gengar losing Levitate and gaining Cursed Body instead?
The ability slots stayed the same, but the ability in the slot itself changed.

Don't know!

8 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I'm confused tho.

Updated the post (short version): Is "Stench (H)" Kantonian Weezing legal in Sword/Shield?

Edited by AliceTheAlice
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AliceTheAlice said:

Updated the post (short version): Is "Stench (H)" Kantonian Weezing legal in Sword/Shield?

This, I'm curious about.

Getting someone to test transfer from VC. I'll look into ORAS dexnav shortly.
Don't think Weezing/Koffing is in friend safari.

From what I can tell, anything from Entree forest will be HA, unless it doesn't have HA (at that time).
image.pngimage.png

(As far as I can tell, ability information isn't sent to the game. It's generated solely by the game)

• Like 2

Koffing/Weezing is for sure in the Dream World (Rugged Mountain). It's definitely not in the Friend Safari. (It's also seems it was available in ORAS.)

GameFreak will continue to make more Regional Variants over time, it's only safe to assume more Pokemon lines like Wingul/Peliper and Koffing/Weezing will have their abilties change to gain a Hidden Ability to the species. Since it's only a matter of time, before we loose Pokemon Bank and the 3DS servers forever. I am attempting to find out which Pokemon without a Hidden Ability CURRENTLY can be caugh with the game set to said non-existent Hidden Ability.

11 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

From what I can tell, anything from Entree forest will be HA, unless it doesn't have HA (at that time).

It's looks as if the Dream World is out. (Does this mean Dream Radar is also out?)

Thanks peeps for testing DexNav & Virtual Console!!

Edited by AliceTheAlice

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

@AliceTheAlice seems no luck with transferring from VC up (via Bank) too.
https://discord.com/channels/343093766477053953/354645386746527745/727655266841133105

Koffing on Bank and HOME shows Levitate.

@theSLAYER, do the VC mons show "Levitate (H)" when transfered into SM/USUM?

(Home does NOT update the ability! It's SwSh that update the ability! My Neutralizing Gas showed Levitate on Home until transferring it into SwSh.)

Edited by AliceTheAlice

7 minutes ago, AliceTheAlice said:

@theSLAYER, do the VC mons show "Levitate (H)" when transfered into SM/USUM? (Home does NOT update the ability. My Neutralizing Gas showed Levitate on Home until transferring it into SwSh.)

@SkyLink24 you happen to be here. You mind sending the K/W into SWSH to check if the ability changed :/

Also, if that fails, our last bastion of hope is ORAS dexnav.

Tho if may be possible that the Weezing traded to you on Isle of Armor can have HA.
image.png

4 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Tho if may be possible that the Weezing traded to you on Isle of Armor can have HA.

You are talking about the Galarian for Kantonian trader, right? I can test that. (In theory since they seem to appear at Random. This also provides 0 control over IVs or Shininess.)

Also @theSLAYERthe Discord link above goes nowhere.

Edited by AliceTheAlice

Also @theSLAYERthe Discord link above goes nowhere.

How odd.

2 minutes ago, AliceTheAlice said:

You are talking about the Galarian for Kantonian trader, right? I can test that.

presumably, just dug the info out of pkNX.

Anyway, Serebii confirmed it's legal:
image.png

So at present, Weezing can have stench legally, but only from this trader.

• Like 1

Thanks for that! Looks like if they add any more new HA's down the line... Bank won't help us unlock them. 😭

yeah Bank didn't give them HA, from VC entries. That is kinda disappointing. Hopefully somewhere in Crown Tundra would allow us to evolve them normally..

• Like 1

I really hope with the return of the Ultra Beasts we do see a pocket of Ultra Space AND A bloody Beast Ball vendor. Trading myself for Beast Balls is just no fun!

yeah, I can only presume that's why beast balls were not part of cram-o-matic.

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

yeah, I can only presume that's why beast balls were not part of cram-o-matic.

I am personally under the opinion it was just to piss me off!

Since every single Pokemon that I have caught or bred since December 2017 has been caught in a Beast Ball, I feel this was directed at people like me. It was over 2.5 hours for the first Mewtwo caught in Ultra Space with a Beast Ball. I had to breed a Smeargle specifically for Mewtwo's caught after that to Imprision their Recover. I bred EVERYTHING into Beast Balls. (It pains me to see Alolan and Galarian starters in regular Beast Balls!)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

hi everyone,
sorry to drag up this topic, but after reading it through a couple of times there seems to be still a loose end.
so its concluded that catching VC koffing wont give it the (H) ability slot, but rather its allocated slot (1) or (2).
but what about Dexnav ORAS?

i just dexnaved the whole morning, caught a big bunch of naved Koffing.
i checked them all on pkhex, and thankfully 1 had Levitate (H).

i will transfer this one through bank to Home and then to Sword and Shield and provide an update.
i read on Reddit that in theory this should work and i should end up with a HA koffing in Sword and Shield.
cheers

• 1 month later...

Hey guys sorry for being so slow... life has been busy.

anyway just to close the loop...

So I dexnaved in ORAS a whole big bunch of Koffing... I checked them all in pkhex and one of them had the HA slot...

Levitate (H)

I then transferred this dude through Bank and Home to my Shield game... And then viola... Koffing with Stench.

so conclusion... VC Koffing will not get HA when transferred over to SS...

but a dexnaved Gen 6 Koffing will provided that it had Levitate in the HA slot

cheers everyone

94C35E2E-D943-498A-B2EC-990106AE04B8.jpeg

34C5AF55-7039-4F3F-A322-C1B76D407475.jpeg

• Like 3