Problem editing shiny rate in volt white 2

Hello 

I'm working on a fusion hack rom based on drayano's pokemon volt white 2. 

The game's working fine but i'd like to change the shiny rate. 

Here's what i did so far :

- Extracted (not exported) the arm9.bin with crystaltile2

- found the right offset for '08 28' at 0x18e1c

- tried to change it with crystaltile2 or hxd

The problem is when i try to compress it back in volt white 2. The same message: "file too small. Insert it somewhere else". keep poping and i'm stuck in an infinite loop. 

I also tried to use tinke instead of crystaltile2 but i can't compress the arm9 with it. 

When i do the same thing with a white 2 rom it works fine but i can't find a way to do it with volt white 2. 

Also the size of the arm9.bin keep changing when i update it. Is there a way to change it cleanly without changing the file size ? 

14 minutes ago, 0x3DD3CE said:

Use Crystal tile, select arm9.bin, and use the compress selection and import your edited arm9

Already tried that. 

That's when I get the error : "file too small... " and the infinite loop

1 hour ago, 0x3DD3CE said:

Did you do this?

iii.PNG

This is exactly what I did since the beginning...
If I click OK on the popup, it keeps poping again and nothing appens (the infinite loop I was talking about in my first post)

I know how to do it and it works just fine when I do the same thing with pokemon white 2 but I can't make it work with pokemon VOLT white 2
The other thing is that the arm9.bin have different sizes. I made some test and this is what I get :
- arm9 extracted :
620Ko
- arm9 exported : 462Ko (used as reference for the size)
- arm9 extracted, edited with crystaltile or hxd (same result here), compressed, then exported : 574Ko

the third line should be the same size as the second one.
Is there a way to compress it cleanly before I put it back in the rom ?

compress ct2.png

Edited by Didus

You used the Extract(U) option at the beginning right?

Try extracting it again, then use HxD to edit (Not Crystal Tile) the two bytes and insert it.

I think it may be a problem with Volt White 2 as Drayano removed unused data which messes with the pointers etc

Edited by 0x3DD3CE

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I've looked around and theres something that says the rates in BB2/VW2 were updated to have the same shiny odds as their Platinum Redux (i think 1/562?)but I've legit seen that as I was looking into downloading the patch today on one page so not credible I don't get why they don't just make the odds the same as their Storm silver which is 1/275 I've still only seen 4 and couldn't catch 2 of them due to situation and I grind like crazy so those odds seem perfect to me

• 8 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 12:44 AM, Didus said:

Hello 

I'm working on a fusion hack rom based on drayano's pokemon volt white 2. 

The game's working fine but i'd like to change the shiny rate. 

Here's what i did so far :

- Extracted (not exported) the arm9.bin with crystaltile2

- found the right offset for '08 28' at 0x18e1c

- tried to change it with crystaltile2 or hxd

The problem is when i try to compress it back in volt white 2. The same message: "file too small. Insert it somewhere else". keep poping and i'm stuck in an infinite loop. 

I also tried to use tinke instead of crystaltile2 but i can't compress the arm9 with it. 

When i do the same thing with a white 2 rom it works fine but i can't find a way to do it with volt white 2. 

Also the size of the arm9.bin keep changing when i update it. Is there a way to change it cleanly without changing the file size ? 

3 years later did you ever mange to get it lol?