What comes after Pokemon Sword and Shield?

PokeFan20

I know it hasn't been long since Pokemon S.S was launched but what comes after it?

what is Gen 9 going to be like?

and what new Pokemon we are going too meet

but if you think about it, the Pokemon S.S Expansion Packs are maybe a sign that Pokemon is ending.

if you have any other ideas of what is next for Pokemon than please tell me.

(I also would love a job at the Pokemon Company, and I have over a thousand Pokemon that I want to put in it). 

I highly doubt that the franchise is going to end any time soon.  For gen 9 I like to joke that the region should be based on Germany since 9 sound like how no is said in German haha (bad pun is bad).

• Like 1

After season 1 of the DLC (Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra), some would think that a second season of DLC will begin.

Others think it's a DPPt remake, and some will think it's DPPt in the form of Let's Go (since the legends were already in Crown Tundra, no need for a serious remake,
but instead go the lighthearted route.)

to be honest im all for more games. im all for gen 9 as long as the next games have a national dex. ill take hd ports of gen 7 with melmetal and meltan added in just cuz, but im more into a new addition to the stadium series or XD/Colo. or a new battle revolution. for what sents gen 4 we never got a continuation for the console battle simulators. if they can top what the console spin offs did, then there can be replay ability with gen 8. 

On 6/4/2020 at 10:59 AM, theSLAYER said:

After season 1 of the DLC (Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra), some would think that a second season of DLC will begin.

Others think it's a DPPt remake, and some will think it's DPPt in the form of Let's Go (since the legends were already in Crown Tundra, no need for a serious remake,
but instead go the lighthearted route.)

I would be thrilled if they replace the bike with the ability to ride pokemon like in sun and moon, or at least make it an option.

4 hours ago, SpringtraP-MasK said:

to be honest im all for more games. im all for gen 9 as long as the next games have a national dex. ill take hd ports of gen 7 with melmetal and meltan added in just cuz, but im more into a new addition to the stadium series or XD/Colo. or a new battle revolution. for what sents gen 4 we never got a continuation for the console battle simulators. if they can top what the console spin offs did, then there can be replay ability with gen 8. 

This is hilarious and I totally support it 

42 minutes ago, adkkp said:

This is hilarious and I totally support it 

hilarious? and you actually agree with me?

I would like to play a Pokémon game based in Latin-America, Africa or the Middle East. I feel that most of the Pokémon games revolve around high-tech and cold cities. This would be a good change.

The Alolan region was sort of a wild turn from XY; also, I really disliked that the ultra-versions came early and that they featured Pokémons that were unavailable in the “base” games. Anyway, Sun/Moon had a relatively good story. On the other hand, Pokémon Let’s go was kind of dull because it had poor connectivity with other games and limited Pokémon. Solving said negative issues should be a good start.

In retrospective, I guess they were learning how to handle the “new way” of releasing episodic (incomplete) games so you buy DLC later.

Pokémon games without Digimon-esque powerups would be nice. Looking at the way things are turning out, perhaps the next feature is going to be fusion (hope not). I think these powerups are a shortcut to make Pokémon games look “innovative and meta-refreshing”.

I don’t mind stuff like Pokémon Coliseum, but since they merged the pocket-systems with the home-systems, I guess it’s going to be harder to release a game without making it look like a cash-grab. I remember Pokémon 64 was for kids that did not have the Gameboy. If someone had both, alright it was cool, but the Gameboy was canon (so to say). In other words, it was different markets.

A Pokémon game featuring vast deserts, jungles, wastelands and ruins would be very nice IMO (but not a remake of Pokémon Gold, LOL).  Imagine visiting the place that actually inspired the Safari Zone NPC to build KANTO’s Safari Zone. Picture the beauty of combat with classical sound scores (instead of techno) and a region revolving around contemplation rather than exhibition (like… WTH with Leon’s attire?).

A remake of the Platinum series sounds acceptable too. Yet, I disagree with the Idea of making another Pokémon Let’s Go out of Platinum.

Finally, a good point in remaking legacy games would be Gengars with levitate.
Please, stop nerfing Gengar… (LOL).

I heard a something about sword and shield originally being developed on 3ds and that lets go was made cuz pokemon believed the switch would flop hard. I kind of believe this but. also I agree with Hide X Seek one lets go was fine. making another one would really put me off from it, the only resion I even got lets go day one was the pokeball controller and melmetal.

another thing how do you develop a controller like that and say "yah no, its basically a pokemon go+ accessory now, deal with it" I had to sell mine cuz I hoped it would be compatible as a controller and not some pokemon catty...

and to be honest here if there going to make gen 4 remakes its more realistic if they just remake platinum and not diamond or pearl. platinum was like the update to D/P. another thing they could do is add in things that went missing or unused (i.e. azure flute arceus) if they do gen 4 remakes. (were palkia and dialga even catchable in platinum?) there's also lots of things they could do to change some things like add in ranger side missions after the main story to get deoxys or manaphie (sorry not good at spelling names ^^" ) as a reference to the ranger only events you could receive from that spin offs event missions.

also I feel like if they see the dlc sells well they make deluxe editions of gen 8 with the dlc on the cart with the bace game or do that and hint at sequels to sword and shield (i.e. what they did with B/W and B2/W2)

the pokeball is a accessorie like the pokewalker in gen 4 games, you can use the pokeball + in Let's GO, GO, Sword and Shield to take your mon for a walk and earn exp outside the game, you can catch palkia and dialga in pokemon platinum after 4 league when you find their orbs, they are waiting in spear of pillar, if they remake gen 4 games, they surely make the arceus event available as inside event, i dont thin'k would be called platinum, probably their remake are pearl and diamond with something because one point in the games is to trade, fight and collect mons so they probably make 2 games, manaphy was a special adition like mew with Let's GO, probably would have a special event inside game too, the dlc are upgrades for Sword Shield, is to don't experience the fabrication of the same game as black, white, black 2, white 2 / sun, moon, ultra sun, ultra moon, to make us buy the same game twice, as happenedbefore because didn't existed the way to add content in the older games, probably with sun moon but who knows, and for me crown thundra resemble a remake of gen 4, and that could be interesting... 

1 hour ago, TiffanyDarlet said:

the pokeball is a accessorie like the pokewalker in gen 4 games, you can use the pokeball + in Let's GO, GO, Sword and Shield to take your mon for a walk and earn exp outside the game, you can catch palkia and dialga in pokemon platinum after 4 league when you find their orbs, they are waiting in spear of pillar, if they remake gen 4 games, they surely make the arceus event available as inside event, i dont thin'k would be called platinum, probably their remake are pearl and diamond with something because one point in the games is to trade, fight and collect mons so they probably make 2 games, manaphy was a special adition like mew with Let's GO, probably would have a special event inside game too, the dlc are upgrades for Sword Shield, is to don't experience the fabrication of the same game as black, white, black 2, white 2 / sun, moon, ultra sun, ultra moon, to make us buy the same game twice, as happenedbefore because didn't existed the way to add content in the older games, probably with sun moon but who knows, and for me crown thundra resemble a remake of gen 4, and that could be interesting... 

I cant wait to get regidrago tho. kinda exsited for crown.

On 6/5/2020 at 6:22 PM, TiffanyDarlet said:

probably one of the regi is for each game, i am excited too, dlc release in 2 weeks Dx 

I have lots of shinys so im hoping I can trade for a shiny one. I have all regis shiny so im hoping to at least get them shiny, if there shiny locked (and you know they'll do it anyways) guess ill settle for a normal one. I hope kubfu isn't shiny locked as well, if it is I hope they release an event to get the evolved shiny gmax version. and maybe for the games one year anniversary release shinys of the legendary doggos and the poison skeleton dragon with eturnamax. im hoping they give us eturnamax in crown tundra tho.

3 hours ago, SpringtraP-MasK said:

I have lots of shinys so im hoping I can trade for a shiny one. I have all regis shiny so im hoping to at least get them shiny, if there shiny locked (and you know they'll do it anyways) guess ill settle for a normal one. I hope kubfu isn't shiny locked as well, if it is I hope they release an event to get the evolved shiny gmax version. and maybe for the games one year anniversary release shinys of the legendary doggos and the poison skeleton dragon with eturnamax. im hoping they give us eturnamax in crown tundra tho.

oh yeah zacian, zamazenta and eternatus don't have dynamax, probably the 3 have a interesting evolution / fusion as kyurem, nekrozma , dunno is just a idea, about regi and galar birdy, they are probably shiny locked xD, probably later we have shiny gift like gen 7 did at the end

so a almost 10 to 5 year wait for shinys that should have been programed in? yah like that doesn't piss people off enough...  

12 minutes ago, SpringtraP-MasK said:

so a almost 10 to 5 year wait for shinys that should have been programed in? yah like that doesn't piss people off enough...  

There will always be people that find a way to be pissed off about something.

If they were to distribute it as shiny, people will be pissed that it's an easy shiny.
If they were to distribute it as not shiny locked, people will be pissed because shiny odds in these games have improved compared to the gen 3/4, so it's in their mind it is pretty likely others will get it as shiny.
If they were to distribute it as shiny locked, people will be angry that it will be hidden for 5-10 years.

There's simply no pleasing everyone. While the company should please as much people as possible, they should do it in a way that ensures the quality in their minds.
As an interview once revealed, they started shiny locking stuff so that shiny legendaries will be more special.
With that in mind, that decision makes sense..

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

There's simply no pleasing everyone. While the company should please as much people as possible, they should do it in a way that ensures the quality in their minds.
As an interview once revealed, they started shiny locking stuff so that shiny legendaries will be more special.
With that in mind, that decision makes sense..

ok reading that now that does make sense but I still don't get why they wait so long to even release them. I don't know if its a last effort to keep that gen alive or its a way of saying "yah we should have released this sooner"

2 minutes ago, SpringtraP-MasK said:

ok reading that now that does make sense but I still don't get why they wait so long to even release them. I don't know if its a last effort to keep that gen alive or its a way of saying "yah we should have released this sooner"

Maybe it is a last effort to keep the gen alive.
Maybe it is to make sure everything is available for that gen (mostly) before they move on the next gen.
No one in public really knows for sure, if we are going to continue to doubt every press release they make.

Shiny Xerneas and Shiny Yveltal was pretty much at the end of gen 6.

Zygarde was probably for a second installment of Kalos, but we wouldn't know.
In any event it was kinda in the story for gen 7. To that end, a shiny Zygarde was released halfway through.
Shiny Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrozma was at the end of Gen 7 tho.

As for shiny mythicals in recent Gens, I think Gen 5 had Genesect, Gen 6 had Diancie, Gen 7 had Meltan/Melmetal.
It's not complete, but it's something ><

makes sents but they miss out on a lot of shiny locks trying to focus on a just one in particular. I remember there being a pleg of hacked shiny gen 6 deoxys cuz it was shinylocked. same thing for the main legendrys in OR/AS. even arceus was affected cuz the shinyevent never saw a US release

also while were on the subject for events why aren't all of the gen 3 events in the pkHeX database?

54 minutes ago, SpringtraP-MasK said:

never saw a US release

well you can trade for it online. While I agree most events seem focused on the whole "Japan only", well Japan is the country that birthed Pokémon after all.
Besides, doesn't change the fact that it is legally available now.

Deoxys can be shiny in Gen 3. Granted, not easy to come across a real one, but once again it doesn't change the fact that it is legally available now.

55 minutes ago, SpringtraP-MasK said:

also while were on the subject for events why aren't all of the gen 3 events in the pkHeX database?

no clue. I don't develop PKHeX.

its safe to assume to at this point that victini, meloetta and keldeo are kept for the gen 5 remakes ( or at least i hope )

same way as volcanion, hoopa, marshadow, zeraora and magearna are kept shiny locked for the remakes of their respective gens

so yeah, not until another 10-15 years at least ( or unless pokemon is killed off )

I would like to offer a point of view from a conversation I had a while back with a bunch of my friends in the Games industry. It was clear in the way Sword & Shield was programmed with a noticible number of extra Pokémon unnumbered & the Dynamax Crystals were designed to be able to add those Pokémon to the games that these titles were never meant to have Expansion Passes. 

GameFreak has operated on a nearly yearly release schedule for the series. I am strongly under the opinion that not only was the plan was to release a "new" title for the fall of 2020 but the team was ALREADY working on said title. I also believe we would have had the announcement of the Expansion Passes with the launch of the games IF GameFreak was working on Expansion Passes. So, let's assume that the only plan was to drip drop the unnumber Pokémon into Sword & Shield via the Dynamax Crystals between the release of Sword & Shield and the unnamed games for the fall of 2020.

The development time would not provide GameFreak a whole lot of time for a whole new region BUT it would likely be JUST enough time for a Remake/Version 2. The question becomes why scrap a remake title?

For those without a background in 3D modeling, the GameFreak was not lying about the time table to update a 1000 characters based upon their staff size. GameFreak is an extremely small staff compared to EVERY other development company with anywhere near as successful of an I.P. (intellectual property) under their belt. While the actual models (wire frames & bones) may not had changed, the animations did.

Imagine you are GameFreak, you know it is impossible to provide the National Dex. You know when you announce this truth it will be met with a lot of unhappy fans. What do you do? You make a plan over several years to address the issue. You know the Nintendo Switch & Home will result in a LOT more titles emcompassing a "Generation". We will likely see several new Regions before the game sees another major overhaul and leaves Generation 8. So, you make a plan to split up the first 7 Generations of returning Pokémon between a series of games. The first would be the first Switch title and a new Region, the second would a remake of Sinnoh since it was already heavily hinted at, and finally a second new Region.

We have already seen the start of this plan as over half of the returning Pokémon in Sword & Shield were from Unova, Kalos, & Alola. This would make sense if the Sinnoh Remakes were only going to have to tackle the model animation work for the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, & Sinnoh Pokémon not done. Similuarly, this would leave only a handful Unova, Kalos, & Alola Pokémon to be finished via inclusion in the second new Region released on the Switch. (My friends in the industry agreed this is the kind of approach their companies would use for handling that large of a workload.)

GameFreak has been making strives more so then ever before to improve the Competitive side of Pokémon which for the most part prior to Sword & Shield was never a big priority for them. This sentiment has change (likely a result of the shareholders) for GameFreak. A large amount of the announcements regarding features leading up to the games' release were directed at the competitve scene. This is important for two reasons. The first is the Pokémon Platinum was the first game used in the official yearly World Championship series so Sinnoh is significant to the history of competitve Pokémon. The second is that 2021 is the 25th Anniversary of the Pokémon franchise. If COVID had not occured, the 25th Anniversary World Championships likely would had been hosted in Japan for the first time ever on remakes of the very first game play in the World Championship series.

Soooooooooo why scrap this plan?

Shareholders. I believe GameFreak was a few months into development of the Sinnoh remakes when decision was made to change the cycle of New Region One Year and Remake the Next. I believe the cycle was shifted to New Region One Year and DLC the next SO that Remakes would stop occuring. The Expansion Passes for Sword & Shield are not being directed by the main title Director instead during the Direct we were introduced to a younger member of GameFreak. The number of GameFreak staff developing the Expansion Passes is likely no more than 25% of the team and it's likely all young (tenure-wise) staff members. The remaining of the team is likely hard at work on the next full title. Which is VERY likely a new Region. A new Region brings new Pokémon, new Pokémon brings new Merch for the Pokémon International Company to sell.

I wholeheartly believe we will see very few remakes going forward.

On 6/4/2020 at 9:16 AM, PokeFan20 said:

(I also would love a job at the Pokemon Company, and I have over a thousand Pokemon that I want to put in it). 

GameFreak makes Pokémon. The Pokémon International Company manages promoting the marketable material... dolls and stuff. No one who works at The Pokémon International Company is involved in any creation of new mons.

Edited by AliceTheAlice
typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AliceTheAlice said:

I would like to offer a point of view from a conversation I had a while back (...)

Hey what's up, good comments all right.

I don’t know who talked about scrapping the idea of doing remakes in the first place, but let’s see it from business POV. Why would they scrap the idea of making a remake? They won’t scrap the idea; remakes are a great way to grab cash.

However, remakes are harder to make than an expansion. A remake challenges the developers to think the game from the perspective of a new platform, this includes music, special effects and gluing the whole story so it looks OK when you play it. Nintendo is well known (IMO) for selling remakes, so we might probably see remakes for Pokémon in the future… but maybe not as frequently.

I think remakes will be reserved for special purposes, such as paving the way for the next generation.  Just as they did with Fire/Leaf, Alpha/Omega and Let’s Go. From the actual facts, I can tell that Pokémon remakes usually push something additional than the franchise itself. For example, the wireless link adapter for the Gameboy Advance, the Pikachu Tamagotchi (infrared for Gameboy), The Pokémon SS Tamagotchi (infrared for DS), etc. all of them were featured with the remakes… with Let’s Go they tried to shift the Pokémon experience to parallel the mobile experience (and they also featured another prop). Also, it seems they launch remakes while they have a major release backing up the franchise. However, the DLC option was not as explored as it is now, with Sword & Shield (they have been very straight forward about using DLC).

With an expansion you add replay value with fewer content and effort. And if you take the bold move of adding stuff you “missed” in the base game (e.g. Pokémon), then it’s a win-win. Also, you get this notion that the expansion gives you something new, as opposed with the remake. Other advantage would be that usually, expansions (DLC) do not require a “cartridge” to be distributed, making DLC more profitable. The reason you can find “scrap” data of missing Pokémon is proof of their readiness, rather than a “we had to cut this from the game” thing.

The launch of a major Pokémon game (no remakes or spinoffs) takes about 3 years. So, if you can extend the life of a Pokémon generation while reducing its cost (i.e. with expansions and emulators rather than remakes), then that’s the way to go.

Plus, regarding remakes, there are even cheaper options that help maintain things in control for the developers and the stakeholders; for example, instead of making another Pokémon Gold (or Platinum or Black), they could simply emulate the original game in the switch and design an API to send the Pokémon to HOME.

Changing topics, competitive gameplay is merely a piece of the puzzle. Do you mention it because the developers said “we are not releasing all of the Pokémon to balance the game”? That’s not the blue ocean of Pokémon. The game is released to build momentum for the franchise, it allows the whole thing to live on through other (more profitable) products, such as: Cartoons, movies, toys, spinoff games, other game formats (i.e. selling cardboard with drawings), etc.

If they decided to take the path of competition, then said competition will come in the shape of expansions, this is the way to quickly adjust the meta so you spend more money in the game. Take a look at the Yu-Gi-Oh or Magic card games, these revolve around expansions. Each expansion changes playability and forces you to move (and invest) onto something new.

Finally, the following stuff shouldn’t be anything new to you, yet I am saying this because you mentioned that “making the new Pokémon models is hard with a few people”. Implying (IMO) either that they rushed the game or that they couldn’t make the game “whole” (e.g. with fewer monsters) because they are “small”.

People in the industry get to tell things the way the experience it, just like, public relations. For example, do you really believe they locked the Pokémon because of game balance? Nah. Pokémon is moving to another business model, that’s one of the reasons they created “Home” while they already had “Bank”. “Bank” sold the possibility of passing Pokémon to future generations virtually anytime, and with “Home” that’s fading away: Now it reads, “you can keep your monsters here, but you can take them out when we decide you can”.

So, let’s talk business, not industry.

Making new 3D models and animations takes time, indeed. But that is not the only reason there are missing Pokémon in the new games.

Pokémon are missing because it is not a good idea to put everything in a single pouch. Pokémon are missing because the game itself is an investment, and they need to plan the game so it yields the most money.