Emerald rng methods

Liger0

Hi there.

I know that generally wild pokemon are generated by method 2 but method 4 can actually happen, especially with pokemon box.

But I've just dumped my old sav of pokemon emerald and the only shiny I caught over 10 years ago has a PID and IVs that match the method 1, which is ever confirmed by the Pkhex. No such spread exists for method h1 without a synchronizer, just a plain method 1.

But I've never seen any method 1 pokemon when doing rng abuse on the emulator, it just randomly switched to method 4 occasionally.

So, how is the method 1 engaged for wild pokemon?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XxPhoenix1996xX said:

You're getting method 2 and 4 because you're on a emulator.

No, I always get method 2 and 4 on retail too as well as method 1 (method 1 is rare on console tho).

7 hours ago, Sabresite said:

I have never seen method 4 from Pokemon box. Do you have self obtained box pokemon this way?

Edit: I was thinking about bonus eggs.

Sure, regis and rayquaza will almost always method 4 when you're playing from box. I've done all the legends method 4 , although I did it on emulator after seeing it working on retail.

You don't *need* a box link as method 4 can be random from retail, but the box link will most likely make it happen.

Edited by Liger0

4 hours ago, Sabresite said:

Method 1 for grass encounters on a retail cart on a GBA should still be the most common.

So far I have all the boxes full of wild pokemon in my emerald cartridge played on console, and only 2 wild pokemon are method 1 (shiny spheal and a skitty), all the others are method 2 and like 10 of them are method 4.

This seems to be a result comparable to the vba v24 that I used to rng as emulator, since I only rng and don't randomly capture, so the fact I haven't found any method 1 isn't far from the console reality, as the method 2 and 4 encounters seem to be comparable to console ones.

Also background music influenced pokemon box kyogre/groudon rngs, because I always had the same result without a background music triggering the dialogue with the legend, while I had different results with the background music because, even using the same states, triggering the dialogue at a different frame but still starting the fight at the same seed to rng the same spread, caused to or not to trigger the method 4. Also, only with the background music, some spreads are sometimes entirely skipped and the difference where you must trigger the encounter varied randomly a lot. Like, sometimes, a singular frame advance made multiple seed advancements.

This way, with the background music, you don't have to manually refresh the screen with the pokedex to make it possible to change the method.

Edited by Liger0

4 hours ago, Sabresite said:

It is well known that emulators (box included) cause method 4 because of the timings.

There's no difference between console and retail in this case either.

Edited by Liger0

I have never seen predominately Method 2/4 on a retail cart on a GBA with normal gameplay. If you are specifically RNGing using various techniques then that is different.

Also seeds can be "skipped" depending on many times nature confirmation iterated and the animation (surf/rod vs grass or static overworld) that causes vblank.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:14 AM, Sabresite said:

I have never seen predominately Method 2/4 on a retail cart on a GBA with normal gameplay. If you are specifically RNGing using various techniques then that is different.

I am talking about a normal gameplay I did on console over a decade ago. The predominant method is method 2, just like on emulator.

When are methods H-1, 2 and H4 used? I only tested RSE and this is what I know, I am unsure about FRLG:

Method 1: Legends and wilds (sweet scent and walking, no idea about rock smash and fishing)

Method H1: Never? Maybe having a synch lead will trigger it?

Method 2: Is this a thing? Maybe only walking?

Method H2: Sweet scent, fishing, rock smash. No synch required.

Method 3/H3: Not even reported on the rng reporter, is this a legend?

Method 4: Legends (rare), wilds (walking at least)

Method H4: Maybe having a synch lead will trigger it? After abusing the sav to shiny a method 4 spread, I can't seem being able to shiny that spread as method h4 even with a shynch.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 9:33 AM, Liger0 said:

I am talking about a normal gameplay I did on console over a decade ago. The predominant method is method 2, just like on emulator.

When are methods H-1, 2 and H4 used? I only tested RSE and this is what I know, I am unsure about FRLG:

Method 1: Legends and wilds (sweet scent and walking, no idea about rock smash and fishing)

Method H4: Maybe having a synch lead will trigger it? After abusing the sav to shiny a method 4 spread, I can't seem being able to shiny that spread as method h4 even with a shynch.

image.png
and
image.png

https://projectpokemon.org/tutorials/save-editing/using-pkhex/pid-mismatch-origin-game-rsefrlg-r94/

and more here: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/emerald_wild_pokemon

Technically any method can happen at any time. Static encounters rare have anything other than Method 1 since it doesn't use animations (splash, rocks, grass, etc) nor does it load separate music.

The longer the animation (generally stuff that cause vblanks) the more likely a method 2/3/4.

Forcing a nature (syncing) will increase method 2/3/4 because of nature confirmation (rolling for a PID that matches the nature sync).

H (no idea why that letter) IIRC is the designation for spreads specifically for wild encounters via random chance. A wild encounter is grass/surf/caves/power plant.

The order from seed for wild encounters goes similar to this:
Should encounter?
Which encounter slot?
Which level?
Which nature? (Or Sync, or swarm, etc)
Roll PID until nature matches (many times there is a vblank here)
IV1
IV2
Held Item

Static encounters, gifts, and rod are not wild encounters. I don't even think gifts have nature confirmation.

Fishing is weird cause it's like a wild encounter minus the change of the encounter occurring. I am not sure if it's lumped under H or not, but if it is, that's superficial imo.

• Like 2

To me, wild in caves use the straight method 1 (RS) while rock smashing (even safari zone) and fishing use method H-2 with the synch doing its job (Emerald).

Edited by Liger0

On 6/5/2020 at 1:33 AM, Liger0 said:

Hi,

the use of each method should be as follows:

1: all stationary encounters(starters, gifts, legends, etc.), for ALL Gen 3 GBA games played on a GBA;

H1: wild encounters(including the use of sweet scent) for Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red and Leaf Green;

H2: wild encounters(including the use of sweet scent) for Emerald. Sometimes, however, it can shift to method H1/H4, expecially with some kinds of encounters, like fishing;

4: stationary encounters(most of times, at least) for Ruby and Sapphire played through Pokemon Box;

H4: wild encounters(including the use of sweet scent) for Ruby and Sapphire played through Pokemon Box. The shift to this method is not guaranteed, however: it only happens to be more likely when playing Ruby/Sapphire via the Gamecube. 

Method H1 and H4 spreads are the same of method 1 and 4 spreads, respectively; they are just adjusted for wild encounters. This means that a PID obtained with method H1/H4 also exists for method 1/4.

I never got a method 2 or a method 3/H3 spread.

Colosseum/XD and Channel follow their own method.

I can confirm that the results are the same for both a regular console and the emulator I use(VBA-RR).

I hope this was of some help.   😀

• Like 1

Method 1/2/4 don't have the search nature mechanic. That's why without box Method 1 is the most common, it doesn't take much time to generate the pkm so less time for vblank to mess things up.

I have never seen Method 3 or H3.

Fishing falls under the H methods. The nibble chance is separate from generation.

As Sabresite mentioned the H methods are for wild encounters and non-H methods are for stationary encounters.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just asking, how swarm pokemons in gen of ruby/sapphire/Emerald works. I mean which method they follow, also  i want to know how to rng them in gen 3?.Are they are replaced with other wild pokemons slots in their respective areas to make them 50% encounter all the time?. If i tried repel and 50%Swarm trick to make 100% encounter for  shiny surskit in route 102 combining with rnging wild pokemon in pokemon ruby with dead battery. Will that work?

@theSLAYER @Admiral_Fish @Toffoletto 

Edited by kanto Lover