Max Soup - SWSH DLC 1: Interesting combinations

theSLAYER

Max Soup:
Max Soup is a special dish made from rare ingredients you can gather on the Isle of Armor. If a Pokémon with great hidden potential drinks Max Soup, it will become a special Pokémon capable of Gigantamaxing.

Depending on how the Max Soup worked, it may give Pokémon from Past Gens the ability to Gigantamax.
Ignoring the entries for any species that is capable of Gigantamaxing, let's take a look at interesting entries,
Specifically, balls that cannot be used in Sword and Shield.

Species Location Notes
  Sports Ball Caterpie HGSS National Park: Bug-Catching Contest To be evolved to Butterfree
  Sports Ball Metapod HGSS National Park: Bug-Catching Contest To be evolved to Butterfree
  Sports Ball Butterfree HGSS National Park: Bug-Catching Contest  
  Safari Ball Pikachu RSE Safari Zone  
  Cherish Ball Pikachu Any event that has Cherish Ball  
  Safari Ball Machop HGSS Safari Zone: Morning/Day To be evolved to Machamp
  Safari Ball Machoke HGSS Safari Zone To be evolved to Machamp
  Safari Ball Machamp Evolved from Machoke  
  Cherish Ball Machamp Any event that has Cherish Ball  
  Safari Ball Gastly HGSS Safari Zone: Night To be evolved to Gengar
  Safari Ball Haunter HGSS Safari Zone: Night To be evolved to Gengar
  Safari Ball Gengar Evolved from Haunter  
  Cherish Ball Gengar Any event that has Cherish Ball  
  Safari Ball Krabby HGSS Safari Zone To be evolved to Kingler
  Cherish Ball Krabby Any event that has Cherish Ball To be evolved to Kingler
  Safari Ball Kingler Evolved from Krabbly  
  Safari Ball Lapras HGSS Safari Zone - Surfing  
  Cherish Ball Eevee Any event that has Cherish Ball  
  Cherish Ball Snorlax Any event that has Cherish Ball  
  Cherish Ball Munchlax Any event that has Cherish Ball To be evolved to Snorlax

(Also for non-Cherish Ball entries, it'll be fun to breed the ball and HA onto them :D )

Additionally, if Gigantamax Melmetal continues to be not distributed by any raids (events or otherwise),
this may be the only way to get Gigantamax Melmetal. (By feeding a Melmetal from PGO the Max Soup)

• Like 1

All the Japanese content surrounding the Soup HEAVILY implies the item only works on the Galar Starters (Rillaboom, Cinderace, & Inteleon) as part of the DLC story arch.

Some of the earlier articles before we even knew it would be a Soup hinted at it ONLY being your Starter partner. *fingers crossed* its not quite that extreme.

6 hours ago, AliceTheAlice said:

All the Japanese content surrounding the Soup HEAVILY implies the item only works on the Galar Starters (Rillaboom, Cinderace, & Inteleon) as part of the DLC story arch.

Some of the earlier articles before we even knew it would be a Soup hinted at it ONLY being your Starter partner.

Actually not entirely true.

While I agree that the images at this portion seems to imply that only starters use the feature.
(and the text on the top in no way mentions it is only the starters)
image.png

The text highlighted in blue roughly translates to:
"Pokémon who have adventured together can also gain Gigantamax."

Important words:
Pokémon - In Japanese, they used
ポケモンたち (pokemon-tachi) which is the plural form (like ore-tachi or watashi-tachi).
While English translation don't seem to differentiate between singular and plural, this plural usage is kinda obvious.

Also - In Japanese, they used も (mo) particle, which usually means also, again, too.

So together, what I can gather, is that multiple Pokémon also can qualify for the usage of the soup.

Perhaps only high friendship Pokémon can use max soup? How else will they check the criteria of "adventured together"?

6 hours ago, AliceTheAlice said:

*fingers crossed* its not quite that extreme.

indeed.

I was more referring to the Nintendo Direct in January.

Here is a direct quote of the translator's narration of Director Tani's from the Direct:
"Final evolutions of the first 3 Pokemon you team up with in the Galar Region. During your adventure in The Isle of Armor, these SPECIAL PARTNERS in your teams will be able to Gigantamax."

This is verbage implies that ONLY your Starters can gain said upgrade. (I prepared the second this happened and am ready for the extreme. Still hoping it's not the case.)

The Japanese page for Max Soup was apparently ignored by your all assertion; that page gives the appearance that it is not limited to starters.
I was saying not entirely true to the portion of your line that says all Japanese content.

edit: I know you were expressing concerns based on the dialogue from the Japanese Direct, but the English page says the same thing at the bottom
image.png

Some Pokémon you've already been traveling with may be able to gain the ability to Gigantamax as well.

Plurality is there. The "mo" particle has been translated as well.

This translated line by them captures it all. It does make it sound like it's not only the starters.
Tho how are they going to validate "already been traveling with"?
In terms of "already been traveling with", is it before the DLC? Is it before consuming the soup (one assumes)

40 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

That line only brings into question, how starters can Gigantamax when they presently can't?

We do! It's a flag like how mon's have different forms!

Here's what I know (regardless of what Kurt has hidden from us in PKHeX) from live RAM edits:
08000000 007704A8 00000001 00000000
The game uses a memory sector of 16 hex-decimal places in length to call up a species on the encounter table which is pointed to with the purple highlighted portion. I know 100% that the positions in yellow is the National Dex species look-up. Three hex-decimal places can handle over 4000 species so it's unlikely the green is part of that but it would be cleaner code to query an even number of digits (4) than an odd (3.) I know that the Blue is the Form indicator. Which is how I can tell you that Kantonian Meowth is the form on the encounter table is under the hex value: "3".

I have no idea specifically what the rest of the red is used (all my usage testing it's always been set to 0) however from the way the game acts I am willing to bet anything one of those decimal places HAS to set Gigantamax status. Since the only way in-game to encounter legal Gigantamax Pokémon via Raids, I have never had to trying figure it out to encounter OTHER Gigantamax Pokémon via the same Raid with Live RAM edits.

Edited by AliceTheAlice

What I meant is the Starters presently don't have the Gigantamax Flag (gsmall.png).
image.png
(Also not talking about obtaining them in raids. I'm talking about the literal starters you start with)

At this point, creatures Gigantamax (instead of Dynamax) only if they have the flag.
[There's also exceptions that they won't be able to Gigantamax if the model don't exist, like Leon's Charmander (no Gmax Charmander) or event raids Milcery (no Gmax Milcery)]

So the question is how to give Starters the Gmax Flag, when they didn't originally have it.
In base SWSH, there was no way for an existing mon without the Gmax flag, to gain the Gmax flag.
It would suggest that there's some kind of in-game mechanism introduced to give it to them (which we now know is Max Soup).