Foxhax

PKHeX & Hombrew Questions

Hey there! I have a few questions about Homebrew and PKHeX, so please answer in the comments!

• Is there a simple free way to get the Homebrew Channel in 2020?
  • Is there a way to create a PKHeX directly into the Homebrew launcher (So I don't have to use JK's Save Manager and move over to PC)?
  • How do you use Homebrew undetected (Just in case)?
  • Just for clarification, when you use PKHeX when connected to a save, you can edit Shiny Rates and do Randomizers, right? I believe I saw a video somewhere about it, but I don't know where it is. I also believe you can generate items...

As you guys can tell, I'm a newbie at hacking, so I'd appreciate some help. You can probably also tell that my PKHeX hasn't been connected to any of my saves. Thanks!

If you ever need me to generate an optimal stat Pokemon, just ask and I'll send the file!

1. Homebrew Channel was used for the Wii; if you're referring to the 3DS, that's the Homebrew Launcher, to which the answer is yes (see this guide). If you mean Switch, see this guide.

2. There are Homebrew alternatives to PKHeX such as PKSM, though they are different in terms of use and I'd personally recommend PKHeX + Checkpoint as your save manager of choice. You can also use ftpd to quickly move your save data over from 3DS/Switch to PC.

3. On 3DS, you're basically as safe as can be and nobody's been banned for just running Homebrew. On Switch, nobody's been banned for just using Homebrew, mainly only for piracy and cheating online. If you're only using Homebrew to do save edits and offline ROM hacks (such as a randomizer) then you'll be fine.

4. PKHeX is strictly a save editor and only deals with editing what your save file has in it (Pokémon, Items, Trainer Info, etc). pk3DS and pkNX are ROM editors which serve the purpose of editing/randomizing your game.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, sora10pls said:

1. Homebrew Channel was used for the Wii; if you're referring to the 3DS, that's the Homebrew Launcher, to which the answer is yes (see this guide). If you mean Switch, see this guide.

2. There are Homebrew alternatives to PKHeX such as PKSM, though they are different in terms of use and I'd personally recommend PKHeX + Checkpoint as your save manager of choice. You can also use ftpd to quickly move your save data over from 3DS/Switch to PC.

3. On 3DS, you're basically as safe as can be and nobody's been banned for just running Homebrew. On Switch, nobody's been banned for just using Homebrew, mainly only for piracy and cheating online. If you're only using Homebrew to do save edits and offline ROM hacks (such as a randomizer) then you'll be fine.

4. PKHeX is strictly a save editor and only deals with editing what your save file has in it (Pokémon, Items, Trainer Info, etc). pk3DS and pkNX are ROM editors which serve the purpose of editing/randomizing your game.

Wow! Thanks! I'm using a 3DS, I'm sorry I didn't mention it before!

I've checked the 3DS Hacks Guide, but many of the methods are no longer working or are a bit complicated (Like Steelhax). I know hacking is complicated, but I'm used to mobile and PC. I'm entirely new to 3DS. Any other alternatives?

Regarding your third answer, I'm not trying to cheat online, I usually hack for my own enjoyment.

Again, thank you so much!

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 8:04 PM, Foxhax said:

Wow! Thanks! I'm using a 3DS, I'm sorry I didn't mention it before!

I've checked the 3DS Hacks Guide, but many of the methods are no longer working or are a bit complicated (Like Steelhax). I know hacking is complicated, but I'm used to mobile and PC. I'm entirely new to 3DS. Any other alternatives?

Regarding your third answer, I'm not trying to cheat online, I usually hack for my own enjoyment.

Again, thank you so much!

Hacking 3DS is easier than you think. I recommand you to follow new Seedminer + unSAFE_MODE method on 3DS Hack Guide, it works on last system version (11.13.0) and it use a new exploit recently discovered.

Read the guide twice before starting and then follow correctly all the steps.

I advise you to avoid videoguide on YouTube, because they are often outdated or some important parts are missing.

At last, if you are in trouble, you can ask for help at Nintendo Homebrew Discord Server.

I see you mentioned Homebrew Channel, so I think you have installed it on Wii in the past. The main concept behind hacking 3DS is slightly different. Following the guide you will install Luma3DS CFW in order to remove lot of Nintendo limitations, like region-lock and signature checks to run Homebrew contents.

At the end you'll have on your console menu the Homebrew Launcher that is the way to run *.3ds or *.3dsx files on your console.

But, like in Wii, you can install "stand alone" software in *.cia format from your SD card using FBI, also included in your system menu.

In order to use PkHeX, you can backup and restore your save files using Checkpoint, avaiable both in .cia and .3dsx format (cia version is included in 3DS Hack Guide).

You'll also have access to GodMode9 a very powerful tool that has the capability to modify essentially anything on your console, read here to learn what it can do.

Edited by AlamosIT

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AlamosIT said:

Hacking 3DS is easier than you think. I recommand you to follow new Seedminer + unSAFE_MODE method on 3DS Hack Guide, it works on last system version (11.13.0) and it use a new exploit recently discovered.

Read the guide twice before starting and then follow correctly all the steps.

I advise you to avoid videoguide on YouTube, because they are often outdated or some important parts are missing.

At last, if you are in trouble, you can ask for help at Nintendo Homebrew Discord Server.

I see you mentioned Homebrew Channel, so I think you have installed it on Wii in the past. The main concept behind hacking 3DS is slightly different. Following the guide you will install Luma3DS CFW in order to remove lot of Nintendo limitations, like region-lock and signature checks to run Homebrew contents.

At the end you'll have on your console menu the Homebrew Launcher that is the way to run *.3ds or *.3dsx files on your console.

But, like in Wii, you can install "stand alone" software in *.cia format from your SD card using FBI, also included in your system menu.

In order to use PkHeX, you can backup and restore your save files using Checkpoint, avaiable both in .cia and .3dsx format (cia version is included in 3DS Hack Guide).

You'll also have access to GodMode9 a very powerful tool that has the capability to modify essentially anything on your console, read here to learn what it can do.

Thanks for the info! Ninjhax seems to still work, I'm thinking of using that one. On the Hombrew Launcher, it never said it didn't work so I should try it, right?

The only reason why I need Homebrew is for PKHeX, nothing else. 

Edited by Foxhax
More Content

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Foxhax said:

Thanks for the info! Ninjhax seems to still work, I'm thinking of using that one. On the Hombrew Launcher, it never said it didn't work so I should try it, right?

The only reason why I need Homebrew is for PKHeX, nothing else. 

Your welcome!

Yes you can try with Ninjax if you already have a compatible game and you just want to run Checkpoint .3dsx via Homebrew Launcher, but it is a old method and it's not as safe as newer ones. I still think it's better to set up a complete LumaCFW with boot9strap. With Luma you won't loose access to online communication and you can safely update your 3DS firmware without loosing access to Homebrew, then Luma is still in active development and you could update it in the future directly using LumaUpdater app.

I also use Homebrew mainly for backup save files and I think it's better to have Checkpoint directly on the console menu with a strong CFW behind everything that can help if there will be some problems.

Than there are a lot of useful Homebrew .cia that you can install, for example FTPD, that can transform your 3DS in a FTP server so you can drag and drop files, like save backups, without taking off SD card (especially useful for New3DS).

At last consider that with GodMode9 you can backup your entire NAND and you can restore it if something in the future goes wrong. It's similar to the power of BootMii on Wii.

Edited by AlamosIT

16 hours ago, AlamosIT said:

Your welcome!

Yes you can try with Ninjax if you already have a compatible game and you just want to run Checkpoint .3dsx via Homebrew Launcher, but it is a old method and it's not as safe as newer ones. I still think it's better to set up a complete LumaCFW with boot9strap. With Luma you won't loose access to online communication and you can safely update your 3DS firmware without loosing access to Homebrew, then Luma is still in active development and you could update it in the future directly using LumaUpdater app.

I also use Homebrew mainly for backup save files and I think it's better to have Checkpoint directly on the console menu with a strong CFW behind everything that can help if there will be some problems.

Than there are a lot of useful Homebrew .cia that you can install, for example FTPD, that can transform your 3DS in a FTP server so you can drag and drop files, like save backups, without taking off SD card (especially useful for New3DS).

At last consider that with GodMode9 you can backup your entire NAND and you can restore it if something in the future goes wrong. It's similar to the power of BootMii on Wii.

Eh, I suppose I'll still do Ninjhax. It's easily uninstallable too: Just don't play Cubic Ninja, and if you really want to get rid of it you could just delete the Homebrew files. Those other methods sound really cool, but all I need is JKSM. Plus, I might have a 3DS Dev licence soon so I won't have a problem with using custom games.

• Like 1