Problems Changing Skin Tone - Sword and Shield

Linz

Hello. I've been having issues with changing my skin tone in Sword and Shield.

I have been following this post and it actually has been successful in terms of changing skin tone.

My specific problem: I cannot do trainer customization. For both clothing and hair.

To list everything I have done:

1) I changed from tan female to white female, so nothing wrong with that in terms of gender specific clothing.

2) I changed my mother's skin tone to match mine in case that had to do with anything. Same problems.

3) I have used the fashion blocks on these forums in case it had anything to do with the clothing, still no luck.

So... with all the detail I have provided... is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks!

I can't speak for changing skin tone, since I don't edit it,
but I definitely can speak for fashion block editing.

I literally just imported it, and checked the clothing, and they are indeed there.

edit: I just changed by skin tone via block editing, and it indeed changed.
I'm under the impression you're doing something wrong, hence neither the fashion block edit or skin tone edit are showing up for you. /edit

Try to only import the fashion block, and see if the change it there.
Then export the save with PKHeX, and import the save into your game with a save manager.
If not, you're clearly doing something wrong.

If that worked, now try to do the same steps, except now with skin tone changing. Just change one for now.
See if that works.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I can't speak for changing skin tone, since I don't edit it,
but I definitely can speak for fashion block editing.

I literally just imported it, and checked the clothing, and they are indeed there.

Try to only import the fashion block, and see if the change it there.
Then export the save with PKHeX, and import the save into your game with a save manager.
If not, you're clearly doing something wrong.

If that worked, now try to do the same steps, except now with skin tone changing. Just change one for now.
See if that works.

Yeah I've used the fashion block editing before and can definitely confirm that I do that right. The problem on my end is that my character in the over world seems to be wearing the default clothing whereas when I walk into thee dressing room in the video... I'm wearing the ultra ball tee + other clothing and have different hair. Unless you're suggesting that I try the fashion block on my already edited skin tone file?

Check the spoiler and images below. I'll try going through your problem part by part.
Maybe this will convince you there isn't any issues with editing those options.

Spoiler
6 hours ago, Linz said:

1) I changed from tan female to white female, so nothing wrong with that in terms of gender specific clothing.

1 (5).jpg1 (1).jpg

My original skin tone vs the modified skin tone.
As you can see, the skin tone changed.

I have a hard time imagining this is a gender specific issue, especially when it comes to the following points..

To clarify, I'll be using these for me and my mother:
image.png

6 hours ago, Linz said:

2) I changed my mother's skin tone to match mine in case that had to do with anything. Same problems.

1 (7).jpg1 (4).jpg
My mother's original skin tone vs the modified skin tone

6 hours ago, Linz said:

3) I have used the fashion blocks on these forums in case it had anything to do with the clothing, still no luck.

1 (6).jpg1 (2).jpg

A simple look at fashion, using jackets I have as a basis.
Unedited fashion block vs edited fasion block.

3 supposed issues, and me being able to do all of them, 3 for 3.

While the first issue *may* be gender specific, the remaining two aren't.
For now, try only doing the last two, and see if you can get them to work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Check the spoiler and images below. I'll try going through your problem part by part.
Maybe this will convince you there isn't any issues with editing those options.

Hide contents

1 (5).jpg1 (1).jpg

My original skin tone vs the modified skin tone.

I have a hard time imaging this is a gender specific issues, especially when it comes to the following points..

1 (7).jpg1 (4).jpg
My mother's original skin tone vs the modified skin tone

1 (6).jpg1 (2).jpg

A simple look at fashion, using jackets I have as a basis.
Unedited fashion block vs edited fasion block.

3 supposedly issues, and me being able to do all of them, 3 for 3.

While the first issue *may* be gender specific, the remaining two aren't.
For now, try only doing the last two, and see if you can get them to work.

Okay, great to see that this works! So... to follow step by step. I have to:

1) Export my save file.

2) Change my skin tone

3) Change my mother's skin tone

4) Import the fashion block

5) Save edits

6) Import the edited save file.

Is this exactly what you did? Because I did this exact process and I do seem to have that weird error still. My mother's skin tone changes, I have all of the clothing, but my trainer in the over world is still in the default clothing (and I can't change my clothing/hair/eyes in-game to fix this either, so I'm stuck looking like the default trainer).

1 minute ago, Linz said:

Okay, great to see that this works! So... to follow step by step. I have to:

1) Export my save file.

2) Change my skin tone

3) Change my mother's skin tone

4) Import the fashion block

5) Save edits

6) Import the edited save file.

Is this exactly what you did? Because I did this exact process and I do seem to have that weird error still. My mother's skin tone changes, I have all of the clothing, but my trainer in the over world is still in the default clothing (and I can't change my clothing/hair/eyes in-game to fix this either, so I'm stuck looking like the default trainer).

To change the clothes they wear in the overworld, you have to go into the clothing booth to change the clothes.
At least you have all the clothes in the booth right?

I'll be testing a female save soon, hang tight.
Yeah, that sounds like the procedure I did.

• Like 1

Just now, theSLAYER said:

To change the clothes they wear in the overworld, you have to go into the clothing booth to change the clothes.
At least you have all the clothes in the booth right?

I'll be testing a female save soon, hang tight.
Yeah, that sounds like the procedure I did.

Yup definitely have all the clothes. I actually did try changing the clothes in the clothing booth to see if it would change in the overworld, still no change unfortunately. A test on a female save would be greatly appreciated!

You'll find this interesting

Spoiler

Changing my skin-tone and mom's skin-tone
1 (2).jpg1 (6).jpg

As you can see, that works

Clothing options
1 (3).jpg1 (7).jpg

You can can see, that worked too

Changing clothes
1 (4).jpg1 (8).jpg
1 (5).jpg1 (9).jpg

As you can see, the one that changed skin-tone couldn't change clothes.

I don't think this is a gender specific issue (even though it wasn't tested on the male save),
but rather it's an issue with the hair color not being changed as well.

As you can see, the hair color on the top image and bottom image doesn't match.

So just to reclarify: you actually were able to import the fashion blocks, just weren't able to change clothes right?

Try changing clothes in a non-skin edited save.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

You'll find this interesting

Hide contents

Changing my skin-tone and mom's skin-tone
1 (2).jpg1 (6).jpg

As you can see, that works

Clothing options
1 (3).jpg1 (7).jpg

You can can see, that worked too

Changing clothes
1 (4).jpg1 (8).jpg
1 (5).jpg1 (9).jpg

As you can see, the one that changed skin-tone couldn't change clothes.

I don't think this is a gender specific issue (even though it wasn't tested on the male save),
but rather it's an issue with the hair color not being changed as well.

As you can see, the hair color on the top image and bottom image doesn't match.

So just to reclarify: you actually were able to import the fashion blocks, just weren't able to change clothes right?

Try changing clothes in a non-skin edited save.

Yup, for clarification sake, I cannot change my clothes. The MomSkin edit and fashion blocks work perfectly fine. Changing clothes doesn't work. I tried changing clothes in my backed up save (non-skin edited), and was successful at that. So I'm not sure what is up with changing my clothes in a skin edited save 🤔

6 minutes ago, Linz said:

Yup, for clarification sake, I cannot change my clothes. The MomSkin edit and fashion blocks work perfectly fine. Changing clothes doesn't work. I tried changing clothes in my backed up save (non-skin edited), and was successful at that. So I'm not sure what is up with changing my clothes in a skin edited save 🤔

yeah, so the issue seems to be only because you changed skin color, but neglected everything else.
What you're seeing seems to be the game's behaviour, as opposed to a PKHeX issue.

I'm presently trying to see what else needs to be changed (I tested, and it's not just hair and eye)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

yeah, so the issue seems to be only because you changed skin color, but neglected everything else.
What you're seeing seems to be the game's behaviour, as opposed to a PKHeX issue.

I'm presently trying to see what else needs to be changed (I tested, and it's not just hair and eye)

Okay, great to see that it wasn't just me! Is there anything else I can possibly try out? I do not have any experience looking into games and documenting what else should/could be changed to make the skin tone editing more efficient (and thank you very much for all the help thus far!).

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Open a save with the intended skin color, and copy over their Lips, Brows, Contacts, Hair over, and it should work.

I managed to make cloth changing work this way (for a skin tone edited save)1.jpg

So to clarify, I'm changing from tan to white. So I need to get the lips, brows, hair, and contacts from white and copy over the tan?

5 hours ago, Linz said:

So to clarify, I'm changing from tan to white. So I need to get the lips, brows, hair, and contacts from white and copy over the tan?

Probably. The items player status+value pair thats needs to be the same probably remains consistent, regardless of what skin tone you're trying to change to.

So it appears that if your various settings (that cannot be change in-game) were not consistent for that skin color, the game won't allow you to change clothes.
This isn't a PKHeX issue, but rather game behavior.
You probably should close the issue on the github.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Probably. The items that needs to be the same probably remains consistent, regardless of what skin tone you're trying to change to.

Success! Everything working as intended now! Thank you very much for all your help and patience. Have a good day/night!

Edit: Kaphotics ended up closing the issue haha

Edited by Linz
  • Like 1