Pokemon Crystal SAV Help

Hi. New to this forum but I made an account specifically looking for help on this. I'm looking for some insight and help restoring a good Pokemon Crystal save to my cartridge from VC. I recently received this Flash Boy Cyclone as I wanted to take my VC saves and put them back on a cartridge to use in Pokemon Stadium. It worked fine with Pokemon Blue (not pictured) and Yellow as you can tell in the attached video. But it is telling me "save file not found" even though I did the exact steps I did for Blue and Yellow. I have a hunch it's got something to do with the VC not being the exact same as the others due to the added in game Celebi event that wasn't present on the original cartridge. I attempted to do an "Import Battery" in the VBA Emulator to see if that would work but to no avail either. So how do I fix this? I've attached the SAV file as well. Thanks!

That's odd. I'm still not entirely sure why things are kind of wonky on my end. So to begin, I tried loading the save through VBA. It gave me a "Failed to read RTC" error or something like that. So then I drag and dropped the save file over the converter as suggested and now it says it loads the save file, but when I go past the menu screen, it only gives me options for "New Game" and "Options." But it was weird because just a few minutes ago, it read the save and I could click "Continue" but now it's not coming up for me again. I'm not even sure how I got it to work in VBA. But as soon as I had it working, I tried flashing the sav file back to my cartridge and it still said no save file was found even though I had the software reading from the directory the file was in. Thanks for your help. Sorry for being impatient on the other forum 😅

Spoiler

Loaded.thumb.png.3d8de7d564b74d4cb140099185330dbe.png

Failed RTC.pngLoaded but no continue.png

Okay. I tried loading it through VBA to test it out first before I tried to flash it to my cartridge and even after dragging and dropping it over the converter, it still is giving me this error message. This is so weird. I'm not sure why things are seeming to work fine on your end but won't on mine. And just to clarify, I am trying to go backwards from VC to Cartridge. Not Cartridge to VC. I already had a playthrough of Crystal VC that I wanted to use in Pokemon Stadium 2 but this is the only game so far that has seemed to give me problems. Blue and Yellow VC transferred to cartridges fine. I might have to resort to just trying to use a Gen 2 living dex I downloaded from here but even that wouldn't work when I tried yesterday. I'm so sorry. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I feel like I'm missing something so simple.

Spoiler

Failed RTC 2.png

50 minutes ago, JamesonTBynum said:

This is so weird. I'm not sure why things are seeming to work fine on your end but won't on mine.

could be different versions of VBA. No biggie really.
Both loads on PKHeX either way.

50 minutes ago, JamesonTBynum said:

I am trying to go backwards from VC to Cartridge. Not Cartridge to VC.

Well the issue for all gen 2 games (not just crystal) is they all store the RTC differently at the very end

Example of my VBA:
image.png
(I snipped out the RTC on the save, so it loads on my VBA)

Example of your save:
image.png
Dump an existing cartridge save for Crystal, then check in a hex editor what the bytes after 0x7FF0 look like (if any).
Then for the save you're gonna transfer, make the hex look like the end of the ones you've dumped.

(use the red line as reference)

anyhow:

21 hours ago, JamesonTBynum said:

I have a hunch it's got something to do with the VC not being the exact same as the others due to the added in game Celebi event that wasn't present on the original cartridge

Just reread this portion. It's not this. It's due to how different systems try to store RTC, as mentioned above.

Okay I went in to the bottom to see what my VC save hex looks like and this was it. Then I compared it to the cartridge dump save and the cartridge dump also has a bunch of stuff going on where the VC had all zeros. Would it be safe to assume I need to copy and paste the hex from the cartridge dump to the VC as well as deleting the 8001 line?

Spoiler

297140383_VCHex.thumb.png.a2484d8f218bddce369060e17ff11763.png

Cartridge Hex.png

2 minutes ago, JamesonTBynum said:

Okay I went in to the bottom to see what my VC save hex looks like and this was it. Then I compared it to the cartridge dump save and the cartridge dump also has a bunch of stuff going on where the VC had all zeros. Would it be safe to assume I need to copy and paste the hex from the cartridge dump to the VC as well as deleting the 8001 line?

Reveal hidden contents

Once again, I edited the formatting of your post, cause it was simply chaos.

No need to copy over the last line, just delete that line should be enough.
As long as your VC save is now the same size as your cartridge save (from trimming the end), that should work.

Sorry about the formatting. I clicked something on accident and couldn't figure out how to fix it.

I made the VC to be exactly the same size as the cartridge dump save but it still didn't work for some reason. I'm a real noob. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Spoiler

Save size properties.pngCartridge Hex.pngVC Hex.png

36 minutes ago, JamesonTBynum said:

Sorry about the formatting. I clicked something on accident and couldn't figure out how to fix it

I meant the lack of spoilers. (in you refresh, you'll see I placed all the large images in a spoiler. Must think about our brethren that browses via cellphone XD)

Eh, just send over the save from cart (name it cart), and send over the save from VC (Name it VC).
I'll see what I can do.

Ahh, okay. I didn't know you could attach the files in the spoiler section. I found how to add a spoiler box but how do I insert them in there?

I've attached a fresh, untouched ROM dump of the cart, both the cart and VC .sav files, as well as the VC .dat file just in case. Sorry to be a bother. Thanks so much for all your help. I hope we can figure out what's going on so I can learn to do it myself. I still have Gold and Silver to do and I want to experiment with the living dexes and/or gen 2 PCNY events I downloaded from the site. xD

23 minutes ago, JamesonTBynum said:

Ahh, okay. I didn't know you could attach the files in the spoiler section. I found how to add a spoiler box but how do I insert them in there?

I've attached a fresh, untouched ROM dump of the cart, both the cart and VC .sav files, as well as the VC .dat file just in case. Sorry to be a bother. Thanks so much for all your help. I hope we can figure out what's going on so I can learn to do it myself. I still have Gold and Silver to do and I want to experiment with the living dexes and/or gen 2 PCNY events I downloaded from the site. xD

Hide contents

sav.dat 32.02 kB · 0 downloads

Crystal ENG Cart.sav 32 kB · 0 downloads Crystal ENG VC.sav 32.02 kB · 0 downloads

Mouse click inside the spoiler, then hit + to add the file in.

I'll take a look at them. Also don't upload the ROM here.

edit: Try using this.
Crystal ENG Cart (2).sav

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I tried the save you gave and still no luck.... I've attached a screen recording so you can see what my steps I've been taking are. I've been using my dad's computer as I have a Macbook Pro and the Flash Boy software doesn't have a Mac option. I created a post in one of the other forums to see if anyone could help with porting it using Wineskin cause I don't know what I'm doing there but no responses yet. Worst comes to worst, I'll reinstall Windows 7 Bootcamp on my laptop and see if there's any differences there. I wonder if something is going on with the antivirus software he has and it's blocking a file or something.

Spoiler

2020-05-28 12-24-24.mkv