PKHex VS Pokemon Home: Which should we use to store our pokémon collection?

Cloudy0709

Whats the community consensus? Should I stick with PKHex as my pokemon bank or should I shell out the money and get Pokemon Home?

Obviously PKHex offers a hell of a lot more storage, and the knowledge that the product of my OCD wont go up in smoke if I don't pay the bills on time. However I guess there is a thing to be said for cross transfer for future generations, and the guarantee that Nintendo consoles in the future may be as hackable as they have been is nonexistent.

So whats your opinion?

17 minutes ago, Cloudy0709 said:

Whats the community consensus? Should I stick with PKHex as my pokemon bank or should I shell out the money and get Pokemon Home?

Obviously PKHex offers a hell of a lot more storage, and the knowledge that the product of my OCD wont go up in smoke if I don't pay the bills on time. However I guess there is a thing to be said for cross transfer for future generations, and the guarantee that Nintendo consoles in the future may be as hackable as they have been is nonexistent.

So whats your opinion?

Why not both?

As you said, future devices may not be hackable or completely blown apart.
So PKHeX into SWSH, then Pokémon HOME into future games.

Plus, HOME has a sick Magearna you cannot get anywhere else.
(Presently cannot be backed up, however given the DLC: Crown Tundra intends to add the other legendary monsters,
Magearna just might become transferable to SWSH)

Additionally, if Bank is anything to go by, I'm expecting HOME events right before it's various anniversaries.
(you know, as a way to push people to subscribe again)

Speaking of OCD and the product going poof, well HOME won't delete your mons if your subscription lapses.
You just won't have access to the boxes until you pay again.

Tho, eventually the server will die and the mons will disappear.
But how long is that till that day passes, 5 - 10 years into the future?

32 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Plus, HOME has a sick Magearna you cannot get anywhere else.
(Presently cannot be backed up, however given the DLC: Crown Tundra intends to add the other legendary monsters,
Magearna just might become transferable to SWSH)

Wait, didn't the Original color Magearna apeared on SM/USUM games? I think I remember there being a pokedex entry for them.

Yeah I think I'll do that, though I will take a cautious approach given current global events. May sound a little alarmist and stuff but those online subscription really manage to add up sometimes. Maybe I will make the jump the next pokemon game, or near the time when Nintendo finally axes Bank.

Edited by Cloudy0709

9 minutes ago, Cloudy0709 said:

Wait, didn't the Original color Magearna apeared on SM/USUM games? I think I remember there being a pokedex entry for them.

Nope it did not. While it could be hacked into the games (thus the dex entry), this marks the first time Original Color Magearna is available. (the distributed ones were the plain silver ones.)

10 minutes ago, Cloudy0709 said:

Yeah I think I'll do that, though I will take a cautious approach given current global events. May sound a little alarmist and stuff but those online subscription really manage to add up sometimes. Maybe I will make the jump the next pokemon game, or near the time when Nintendo finally axes Bank.

Yeah subscriptions do build up. I basically shifted everything to HOME from Bank and did not renew my Bank, cause there's no real need. (I myself don't want to double pay subscription).

Another good thing about HOME, is that it can access saves of SWSH on other profiles. So those profiles can end up as save storage too.

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

Nope it did not. While it could be hacked into the games (thus the dex entry), this marks the first time Original Color Magearna is available. (the distributed ones were the plain silver ones.)

Yeah subscriptions do build up. I basically shifted everything to HOME from Bank and did not renew my Bank, cause there's no real need. (I myself don't want to double pay subscription).

Another good thing about HOME, is that it can access saves of SWSH on other profiles. So those profiles can end up as save storage too.

Huh well the more you know.

Thanks for the advice mate!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 3:46 AM, Cloudy0709 said:

Obviously PKHex offers a hell of a lot more storage

You would need to obsessively hoard your digital monsters for this to be a concern. The mass majority of people will maybe use 15%-25% of the storage before GameFreak down the road increases number of storage boxes which eventually will happen.

As @theSLAYERmentioned, at very least if you are concerned with storage and GOTTA HAVE THEM ALL, you will need to maintain a HOME account for the periodic Gift Pokémon.

On top of that, there's a set of challenges for the phone app and a set of challenges for each console game on the console app. I have not seen anyone saying they completed the Challenges for one (let alone both) so there might be another gift mon attached to completion. I only just noticed the console challenges yesterday. (Serebii.net even only is currently listing the Phone challenges.)

Consoles are made by humans, and humans are imperfect. Don’t worry about consoles. What matters is the existence and availability of people willing to help other people access their own data. You cannot control much about it, but history demonstrates there’s always a way in and out.

The right way to preserve your monsters is by keeping a copy of their data by AND to yourself. Keep a copy of your GB save, another of your GBA save, another of your DS and so on. Make copies of these copies and label them, put them on different places which you know you will remember and will have access to them.

Once you get to transfer your monsters, make a copy of your source save-files and rip the data from there.

Cloud based services are good as long as you have access to the internet; however, they are not under your control. On the other hand, the method is tailored to work if you have internet, if you pay a subscription, if you have the consoles and so on. Truth is, they won’t always be there for you.

You will need the cloud service to bring your monsters to newer games, but only for that purpose, they are not the right answer to make your data prevail and make it “universally” be available to you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 3:26 PM, AliceTheAlice said:

You would need to obsessively hoard your digital monsters for this to be a concern. The mass majority of people will maybe use 15%-25% of the storage before GameFreak down the road increases number of storage boxes which eventually will happen.

As @theSLAYERmentioned, at very least if you are concerned with storage and GOTTA HAVE THEM ALL, you will need to maintain a HOME account for the periodic Gift Pokémon.

On top of that, there's a set of challenges for the phone app and a set of challenges for each console game on the console app. I have not seen anyone saying they completed the Challenges for one (let alone both) so there might be another gift mon attached to completion. I only just noticed the console challenges yesterday. (Serebii.net even only is currently listing the Phone challenges.)

Thats kinda my problem actually (⌒_⌒;). Every time I play a pokemon playthrough I end up backing up all my mons via pkhex, and boy are they stacking up. Also I agree with everything else you said, and I actually signed up for pokemon Home.

Edited by Cloudy0709

I agree HidexSeek and I actually do that all ready. I have a backup of every pokemon game save I've played since 2012both in physical and cloud storage . I strated soing it after my pokemon crystal save with a complete dex and legit events was lost in file directory limbo.

As you can see, Im kind off a data hoarder.

Edited by Cloudy0709