Shiny RNGed Registeel shown as Illegal on PkHex

SkyLink98

Hi everyone, after RNGing some legendaries in Emerald main-game (events excluded) I loaded my save on PkHex and i noticed that my Shiny Registeel is flagged as Illegal.

Target frame was 293932 with PID 4F4FE587:

1.thumb.PNG.13f062d80f81e02c47463940f424940d.PNG

For the RNG process i used Pokefinder 2.5.2 by Admiral FishVBA ReRecording svn480 and the kaphonics' Lua script (found this Script on reddit, don't know if they mispelled the name of Kaphotics or if the author is a different person) to monitoring the frame advances, PID etc. As the ROM game I used my own ROM dumped from my original Italian Emerald cartdridge with GBA Backup Tool.

Here's the Shiny Registeel appeared and then caught:

Registeelpng.png.d68c2f10cc7e1d04c0fbf596b363e4d0.png

Note that the frames stated on the Script were always been discordant to the frame shown in Pokefinder, there are about 10000 frames of difference, i suppose this is for the Italian game version of my ROM, but i can't be sure of this. However this has never been a problem: to hit the right frame i simply calculated the frame difference each time i was in front of a legendary.

All the Pokémon are fine except for Registeel. The thing is that Registeel has 3 different IVs from the ones calculated by Pokefinder: SpA, SpD and Spe are different, while HP, Atk and Def are the same:

2.thumb.PNG.c4a3b1c36d17c240ef2820e7b5caeea1.PNG

The fact is that the Registeel is totally untouched and unmodified. I then cloned the Registeel and changed his IV with the ones that Pokefinder gave me: the Pokémon now is shown as Legal by PkHex. 

Although, my intention was to keep only ""legit" in game obtained" Pokémon and i don't want modified Pokémon in this Save file.
But i also don't want that my RNGed Pokémon are illegal.
So i don't know what to do right now.

Firstly, i would like to know what's the problem with this Registeel. Maybe it's a bug of the game, maybe it's a bug of the RNG calculation, maybe it's a bug of the emulator, maybe it's a bug of Pkhex. I don't know.

If anyone can help me in understanding what's happened it would be very very appreciated!

I will attach the unedited and untouched pk3 of the Registeel as well as the Full frame list resulted by Pokefinder. Note that my frame is the 293932 - PID 4F4FE587.

Sorry for the wall of text but i wanted to be as clear as possibile.

RNGResult.txt 379 ★ - REGISTEEL - 027C4F4FE587.pk3

Edited by SkyLink24

I have heard before (along time ago) that emulation can be too slow at times and end up generating the wrong Pokemon. I forget the specifics so someone else more knowledgeable would have to fill that in. But my guess is that it happened here and due to emulation errors it got a Pokemon using the wrong method. Because what you got was a method 2 generated Pokemon. Which you can check in Pokefinder.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, shadowofdarkness said:

I have heard before (along time ago) that emulation can be too slow at times and end up generating the wrong Pokemon. I forget the specifics so someone else more knowledgeable would have to fill that in. But my guess is that it happened here and due to emulation errors it got a Pokemon using the wrong method. Because what you got was a method 2 generated Pokemon. Which you can check in Pokefinder.

Oh, i see. Thanks! So it seems that the first 3 IVs are calculated with method 1 while the last 3 Ivs are calculated with method 2. Strange indeed.

Is this a bug that could only happen in an emulator, or can it happen also on real hardware as you know?

Update:
I have unsetted the Registeel Flags from Pkhex so i can approach him again. I'm going to re-hunt him. Same frame, same ROM. I will update this post after the caught.

Edited by SkyLink24

yup, emulation isn't perfect. It's known to be able to mess up frame calls.

Hence why your Registeel is not legal (because the IV calls got delayed).

1 hour ago, SkyLink24 said:

Is this a bug that could only happen in an emulator, or can it happen also on real hardware as you know?

Not known to happen with real hardware, hence why it's an emulator problem.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...