it is crashing legal, but what do you mean by "fake date"? i see you have it set as hatching before it was even received, so i guess you mean that?. the thing is, i just experimented with this and i made a cubone and forretress pre-evo(can't recall the name) hatch 2 months before they were received, and legal didn't crash. if you made them with pokesav, maybe that's the problem? also, you need to get rid of the trash bytes around the trainer name and fix the ones around the poke's name. those aren't the right ones for a poke hatched in plat, i don't think.

e: nope, i just set the same 2 with bad dates in pokesav, and it still didn't crash. must be something else with that pkm. it's weird, opening in pokesav and re-saving leaves the pkm broken, but opening and re-saving in pokegen seems to fix the pkm.

Edited by Bond697

it is crashing legal, but what do you mean by "fake date"? i see you have it set as hatching before it was even received, so i guess you mean that?. the thing is, i just experimented with this and i made a cubone and forretress pre-evo(can't recall the name) hatch 2 months before they were received, and legal didn't crash. if you made them with pokesav, maybe that's the problem? also, you need to get rid of the trash bytes around the trainer name and fix the ones around the poke's name. those aren't the right ones for a poke hatched in plat, i don't think.

e: nope, i just set the same 2 with bad dates in pokesav, and it still didn't crash. must be something else with that pkm. it's weird, opening in pokesav and re-saving leaves the pkm broken, but opening and re-saving in pokegen seems to fix the pkm.

I assumed it was the date that did it

since 0/0/2000 does not exist (fake)

when you saved with pokesav did you use the right format?

i though it could be a divide by 0 error or something

mkhvg7.png

0.0.40c/0.0.40d do not have trash byes to delete

Pinco evolves in to fortress BTW

a. you shouldn't be using pokesav to do that.

b. yes, .40c does have them- i just looked.

c. i opened it in pokegen first, and it must auto-correct to today's date instead of leaving 0/0/2000. that's why i thought it was hatched before it was received. this is a good thing and another reason not to use pokesav.

0/0/2000 can't exist, so it seems kind of dumb to have those boxes default to that and not 1/1/2000, which doesn't crash legal.exe and is at least a legitimate date.

33yiedh.png

that should have failed (Home Town)

I did mean the spaces after the name, they're marked as "trash bytes" in pokesav itself.

also, i don't think that legal cross-references the poke with whether it can possibly be from a 3rd gen game or not- like, whether it's between 1 and 386. it might not be a bad thing to add in, though- a check against the national dex number to make sure it's 386 or below for 3rd gen stuff. i just tried it with some method 1 pokes that didn't exist in gen 3, and they passed as emerald pokes. i think it's more that it's a valid method 1 poke, good checksum, etc. which means that it could exist in emerald(right? emerald generates method 1 pokes, i think)

It is (probably) stupid hypothetical question time. I have a Pokemon file which checks as legal. I adjust an IV in Pokesav/Pokegen and the Pokemon is "hacked". Doing this by using the Pokemon in game to get the same IV values and I presume that the Pokemon would be legal if dumped to a file and checked. As the PID does not change how does this happen?

I don;t think I'm understanding you exactly. you have a pkm that's legal and you change an iv, and it's hacked right? the pid and ivs aren't a matched pair anymore and the checksum is changed, but not re-calced, so that's why. you might want to have a look on smogon at the article by x-act on how pids are generated. this is where i'm losing you, though. "doing this by using the pokemon in-game" doesn't really make sense because after the 2 rng calls to generate the ivs, they don;t change at all. could you maybe post a couple of pkms as an example?

if you look in the readme that came with legal.exe:

More Types:

- Egg - This is a pokemon in an egg. There is not much to check.

- Hatched - This pokemon was hatched from an egg. Not much to check.

- Honey Tree Munchlax - This is a legal Munchlax that came from a Honey Tree.

- Mystery Gift (Static PID) - This is a mystery gift with a static pokemon id.

- Mystery Gift (Dynamic PID) - This is a mystery gift with a dynamic pokemon id.

Make sure to check it thoroughly with another program to be sure its legit.

- Hacked Mystery Gift - The mystery gift is a hacked static pid mystery gift.

- Egg from Manaphy Event - This is an egg from the pokemon ranger manaphy event.

- Static (usually in-game traded) - This is a static pokemon, usually it was traded from an in-game source.

- Hatched from Manaphy Event - This is a manaphy hatched from the pokemon ranger event.

- Hacked Manaphy Event - This is a hacked manaphy.

- Valid USA (or Japan) Berry Glitch Zigzagoon (RUBY or SAPHIRE)

- This is a legal zigzagoon acquired from the japanese or american demo disc.

- The name displayed, RUBY or SAPHIRE is based on the trainer's gender, and must match the OT Name.

- Hacked Berry Glitch Zigzagoon

- This is a hacked zigzagoon, which failed either the OTG, TID, SID, Shiny, PID, IV, Location, HomeTown, or other check.

- Unknown GBA Pokemon - Hacked & Hatched pokemon from GBA will show up as unknown. Pokemon from XD/Collo will also be unknown.

These promotional pokemon also fall here:

- CHANNEL Jirachi

- Ageto Celebi

- Koroshiamu pikachu

- Ruby/Saphire Shiny Zigzagoon

- PCNY pokemon

- Hacked Pokemon - This pokemon was hacked.

the chansey was given away in a pcny event. you would need someone to check to make sure it's legitimate, though.

Sure, but here the trashbyte are invalide. Is it possible to get invalide trashbyte for an 'unknow gba', or is it oblivious an hack?

If it was Pal Parked to HGSS it will sometimes show up as having invalid trash bytes, because legal.exe has not been updated for them yet.

Also, trash bytes will always be invalid if you change the nickname of a 3rd gen Pokemon in a 4th gen game. (4th gen games can nickname any Pokemon so long as the trainer ID is the same.)

• 2 weeks later...
If it was Pal Parked to HGSS it will sometimes show up as having invalid trash bytes, because legal.exe has not been updated for them yet.

is that also the case for Pokemon palparked into a Platinum cart because i have several with invalid trash bytes that I know are legal

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
is that also the case for Pokemon palparked into a Platinum cart because i have several with invalid trash bytes that I know are legal

This is also the case for many of my Pal Parked (to Platinum) GBA pokemon. I hatched and Pal Parked them myself. I can only assume Legality Checker isn't fully updated for Platinum trashbytes? I hope someone can confirm this.

legalitycheckererror.jpg

also, i don't think that legal cross-references the poke with whether it can possibly be from a 3rd gen game or not- like, whether it's between 1 and 386. it might not be a bad thing to add in, though- a check against the national dex number to make sure it's 386 or below for 3rd gen stuff. i just tried it with some method 1 pokes that didn't exist in gen 3, and they passed as emerald pokes. i think it's more that it's a valid method 1 poke, good checksum, etc. which means that it could exist in emerald(right? emerald generates method 1 pokes, i think)

No, that is not a good idea.

Why? Because some 3rd gen. Pokémon evolve into 4th gen Pokémon.

Roselia, for example.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, im having a little bit of trouble with Legality checker its been a long time since i used it but now im getting a pretty bad error. The screenshot below shows the error, i have tried using it on both XP and Vista OS's both have SP2 and the latest Framework, i have also tried diffirent .pkm files even the ones from the site, any help is much Appreciated.

r20wmw.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I am sorry if this question has already been asked but when will this support B/W?

Currently, never.

Not many people understand basic legality for gen 5 yet. We know the algorithms for this generation, they just aren't as good for legality detection compared to last gen.

• 3 weeks later...