Why can't I use PKHeX on my virtual console copy of Pokemon Crystal?

R2yson

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2020 at 9:59 AM, BlackShark said:

Can you be more specific about what exactly doesn't work? Works fine for me.

i'm having an issue where pkhex is telling me the virtual console pokemon crystal is a gen 8 game and is not compatible with pkhex.  i found the sav file in the title id folder in nintendo 3ds files not exported i havent been able to get any save managers to work on homebrew or find an installation guide for godmode9

3 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

that's the problem.
Use JKSV or Checkpoint to export the sav.
Unless you're using a fake version of VC Crystal, it should be export the save just fine.

none of my downloaded eshop games show up with either of those

Okay, whenever you install a new game, you need to hit something similar to Reload titles/Refresh Games (on JKSM for example). Reloading/Refreshing allows it to appear in the app. :3
(heck, that part is in our tutorials)

I've gotten e-shop VC games, I've loaded the sav from VC on PKHeX many times, and I know for sure they show up and work.

The only other possibility (I can think of), is that you're using some pirated fake VC injected game (for example, someone injected a Pokémon game into another VC game or something). I've heard of injected VC games not necessarily being supported properly or detected properly, something to that effect. :/

Which in that case, your lucks run dry. Our site doesn't support piracy. Buy the VC copy of the game and download it from the e-shop.
(If you did buy the game and your copy is downloaded from your account in the e-shop, then sorry, just being presumptuous :3 )

In any case, PKHeX is working as intended. PKHeX only works on console decrypted saves.
You're trying to open your console encrypted file, which is of course why it wouldn't work.
Save manager performs console decryption of the save for you. If you still can't get it to work, you should raise an issue at the save manager's github.
There's a certain limit we can do in regards troubleshooting save manager issues.
If no matter what you do, the game doesn't show up in those apps, then at that point that is beyond our scope. Their github issue page will likely be a more appropriate place to offer you help :(

10 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Okay, whenever you install a new game, you need to hit something similar to Reload titles/Refresh Games (on JKSM for example). Reloading/Refreshing allows it to appear in the app. :3
(heck, that part is in our tutorials)

I've gotten e-shop VC games, I've loaded the sav from VC on PKHeX many times, and I know for sure they show up and work.

The only other possibility (I can think of), is that you're using some pirated fake VC injected game (for example, someone injected a Pokémon game into another VC game or something). I've heard of injected VC games not necessarily being supported properly or detected properly, something to that effect. :/

Which in that case, your lucks run dry. Our site doesn't support piracy. Buy the VC copy of the game and download it from the e-shop.
(If you did buy the game and your copy is downloaded from your account in the e-shop, then sorry, just being presumptuous :3 )

In any case, PKHeX is working as intended. PKHeX only works on console decrypted saves.
You're trying to open your console encrypted file, which is of course why it wouldn't work.
Save manager performs console decryption of the save for you. If you still can't get it to work, you should raise an issue at the save manager's github.
There's a certain limit we can do in regards troubleshooting save manager issues.
If no matter what you do, the game doesn't show up in those apps, then at that point that is beyond our scope. Their github issue page will likely be a more appropriate place to offer you help :(

all my games are purchased on 3d on 3ds and ive refreshed jksm and checkpoint doesn't show a refresh. i'm running both out of home brew  if that makes a difference. meanwhile the only 4 things that show up are pokemon bank transporter pokemon rumble world and and pokedex 3d.  i have crystal gold silver blue shuffle, havestmoon tott, supermario land, and 6 different zeldas all bought off eshop that doesn't show. im wondering if im installing jksm/checkpoint wrong

8 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Did you install their latest versions? Maybe that's that's the difference.
Also, I'm presently running the homebrew version of JKSM, and it showed up.
I recall the VC games showing up for the CIA install versions too, so it's definitely not that.

do i have to play the games and save after putting these on there?

figured it out it was homebrew itself that was outdated. i couldt find an up todate verssion so i just completely cfw'ed my 3ds ad now it works 

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Pokemonfan6498 said:

so if i using fake vc version of gold, silver or crystal like vc inject it shoud work fine?

As in working with PKHeX? No it won’t be fine.

normally, real VC saves can be extracted by Ckeckpoint/JKSV, like any other game.

For fake VC, you need to change your steps up, and extract the save with GodMode9 instead. (Read whatever that was said in this thread)