"Long time listener, first time caller"

NixHex

Hi, I'm NixHex. Or NigSex or DickSex or countless other names people used to call me on various smogon IRC channels. I've always kinda floated around competitive Pokemon but have never been a stellar player. I'm more of an in-game guy, I guess. It's hard to believe that I learned what RNG abuse almost 11 years ago and have been doing it since the days when you had to use that japanese timer to RNG in Emerald (emloop, was it called?). We couldn't even control Egg PID's at that time, so you basically had to test every egg and ditch it if it wasn't the right nature. And if you wanted a shiny, you were essentially doing old school SR for that then relying on emloop for your IVs. RNG abuse at the time was so caveman that RNG Reporter had Method 3 built into the main screen. Honestly I think I had a dream a couple years ago where I hit a Method 3 spread and it blew my mind. Recently I've gotten back into emulator abuse for ADV but am currently learning XD. RNG abuse has come so far in the past 11 or 12 years, and I wish I could have been a part of its development.

I think with the quarantine I might have some time to dedicate to understanding principles of computer science... I'm an electrical engineer but am almost exclusively an analog and RF guy. If I do touch digital at all, I approach it from an analog standpoint - clock pulses are analog, after all. What effects does an ADC in sampling mode have on power dissipation and stability of the circuit, or if the noise spectral density and bandwidth introduce enough error to the ADC reference to mess with the accuracy. Will the noise cause more than 1/2 and LSB of error (reference voltage / 2^# of bits)/2, and if so, what hardware design changes must be made to prevent that? When you examine that problem, the only thing digital is the D in the acronym ADC. 

I'll be honest, I've always been sorta intimidated by this site, even though researchers like Kaphotics and OmegaDonut have always been total sweethearts both during online and irl interactions. For a long time, I've benefited from the research that the big brains at PP engage in so passionately but have never been able to contribute to it. It'd be cool to pay it forward and learn something in the process! Anyway, peace, and many thanks to all the researchers who have made this hobby much more interesting in my adult years than in junior high.

(lol, I just checked my profile and it looks like I made my account in 2011)

Edited by NixHex
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...